Death of Captain Edward Pomeroy, Jackson, Michigan Civil War Veteran, Company E, 1st Michigan Infantry.

Capt. Edward Pomeroy came to Jackson in 1858 or '59.
He graduated at Hamilton or Union College, and came here to practice law.
He grew in favor with the people after a very short period, and when the war broke out Gov. Blair offered him a commission, which he refused, saying:
"Governor, I know nothing of military affairs; as a young man I think it proper to enter the ranks, and win my commission on the field."
Subsequently he left with Capt. Withington's command for the field, and took part in the July affair at Bull Run, 1861.
Returning to Michigan, the three-months' men were mustered out, and on the organization of the 1st Infantry (three years) he received his commission as 1st lieutenant in Co. D.
In July, 1862, he received his commission as captain of Co. D, vice Capt. E. B. Griffith resigned.
He participated in the engagements at Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill, Peach Orchard, Savage Station, Turkey Bend, White Oak Swamp and Malvern Hill.
At Harrison's Landing he commanded his company with singular ability.
In the afternoon of Aug. 30, 1862, at Bull Run, the regiment held a position on the right, and advanced on the rebel lines.
Dr. Tunnicliff, who was then regimental surgeon, remembers the impregnable position of the rebels in the railroad cut, and the consciousness of the soldiers of their inability to capture it.
Here was a plain, skirted by the forest, in front of a hill, through which the cutting for the railroad was made.
In this cutting the confederates ensconced themselves, and to dislodge them was the task which the First Mich. Vol. Inf. was ordered to discharge.
Too well was the wild command obeyed.
The men advanced over the plain, exposed to a terrible cross-fire; they reached the base of the hill, but the muskets of the rebels had even then performed their work: the ground was strewn with heaps of dead and dying, and still the avalanche of lead and grape and canister came down to crush the survivors of the brave but rash advance.
Now some men fled for refuge to the forest; yet living in the midst of that deadly shower were four Union soldiers who knew not fear: they even threatened to advance on the enemy's breastworks unaided.
Captain Edward Pomeroy, Capt. Alcott, Major Geo. C. Hopper and Lt. Bloodgood composed the little squad.
They advanced steadily up the hill until the great boulders were reached, behind which they sought temporary shelter.
The rebel officers cried out to them:
"Gentlemen, surrender! there is no use in your advance; raise a flag of truce, and give up your vain attack!"
"Let us surrender," said two of the gallant quartet.
"Never," responded Pomeroy, "shall I be a prisoner in Libby Prison; I shall escape to the woods!"
Quick as lightning, the hero of that terrible fight dashed from the cover of the great boulder and sped over the plain toward the grove which promised shelter.
The rebel bullets crowded after him, and at one time it seemed the race for life was about to succeed, when a rain of bullets fell, and one found its victim in the hero of that day's strife.
Capt. Alcott and his wounded companions now raised a white handkerchief, and with Bloodgood leaning on one arm and Geo. C. Hooper on the other, advanced toward the cut to surrender; but the moment the trio appeared in the open field, a rebel sharpshooter, failing to see the little flag of truce, took deliberate aim, and the next instant Capt. Alcott joined the spirit of the gallant Pomeroy in the land of the hereafter.
The two survivors of that desperate advance were in the hands of their enemies, bleeding, but with life and strength to tell a tale which will blossom every year, and live in the memories of the people.
Surgeon Tunnicliff passed over the ground immediately after the cessation of firing, beheld the body of his soldier comrade, and there resolved to take a souvenir of one whom he loved in life and honored in death.
The circumstances of the moment hurried him to another portion of the field, and it was not until Gov. Blair's visit to the army in 1863 that the first wish of Dr. Tunnicliff was realized.
The governor and the doctor visited the well-known spot where Pomeroy fell, brushed away the little dust and clay which covered the skeleton, and took possession of the skull, as the only relic that could then be found.
Acting on the suggestion of Gov. Blair, this remnant of a hero was brought to Jackson, and is one of the most prized articles in the doctor's study.
The following lines are inscribed upon the capitol: "Captain Edward Pomeroy, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry, killed by rebel bullets through the brain, at Mannassas June. (2d Bull Run), Aug. 30, 1862.
This cranium was obtained on a visit to the battle-field by his friend and fellow soldier (in 1863) J. Tunnicliff, Jr., late surgeon of the 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry."
The hero is dead.
His acts were honorable; his service to the Republic called for his life; his was the realization of manliness, not stained by that terrible race for liberty.
Let his name be perpetuated in enduring marble by his fellow-citizens of the present, so that in other years, other generations may have to improve the monument, but never have to accuse their predecessors of ingratitude.
Edward Pomeroy, from Jackson County, Michigan was 25 years old when he enlisted on 4/29/1861 at Jackson, MI as a Sergeant.
On 5/1/1861 he mustered into "B" Co. MI 1st Infantry
He was Mustered Out on 8/7/1861 at Detroit, MI
On 8/15/1861 he was commissioned into "G" Co. MI 1st Infantry
He was Killed on 8/30/1862 at 2nd Bull Run, VA
Promotions: 1st Lieut 8/17/1861, Adjutant 1/7/1862 and Capt 1/15/1862 (As of Co. E)
Intra Regimental Company Transfers: 1/7/1862 from company G to Field & Staff and 1/15/1862 from Field & Staff to company E
A nice article on Captain Pomery is at the link below:
From the book History of Jackson County Michigan

From the book History of Jackson County Michigan