REVOLUTIONARY SOLDIERS AND "DAUGHTERS"
 
County's First Settler, A Revolutionary Soldier—The Graham Family—Nathaniel Baldwin—George Horton—Stephen Mack —Colonel Mack's Family—Joseph Todd And Party—Ithamar Smith—William Nathan Terry—Joshua Chamberlin And Enoch Hotchkiss—Elijah Drake—Ezra Parker—Jeremiah Clarke—Benjamin Grace—Caleb Barker Merrell—Levi Green —Joel Phelps—Elias Cady—Samuel Niles—Silas Sprague— Esbon Gregory—Zadock Wellman—Caleb Carr—Hooper Bishop —Derrick Hulick — Caleb Pratt — Solomon Jones — Lydia Barnes Potter—James Harrington And Jacob Petty—John Blanchard—Altramont Donaldson—Joseph Van Netter— Benjamin Bulson—Nathan Landon—General Richardson Chapter, D. A. R.—The Revolutionary Graves Marked—MemBership Of The Daughters 
 
By Lillian (Drake) Avery 
There is, perhaps, no section of the state of Michigan where so great a number of the soldiers of the Revolution settled as in Oakland county; certainly in no other county of Michigan has so many of them been found and their names and burial places noted.
General Richardson Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, has succeeded in reviving the memory of these men; has placed markers on the graves of nineteen, and will continue the work until all whose last resting places can be found shall be honored with their official insignia. 
In some instances, where there were no headstones, they have applied for and placed, government markers.
 
County's First Settler, A Revolutionary Soldier 
James Graham, the first permanent white settler to plant his home in old Oakland, was a Revolutionary soldier, whose father, a Scotch-Irish gentleman, came to Pennsylvania several years previous to the Revolution. 
His Dutch neighbors called him "Grimes" and his enlistment is recorded under that name.
James Graham, born in 1749, was one of a large family, and there is a tradition that when he emigrated to America he sold himself, as was quite customary, into service to a physician of New York City, to pay the necessary passage money thither. 
After the term of his service expired, the war was on and he enlisted April 15, 1777, for one year, in Pennsylvania, as a member of Captain Hewitt's Company, Colonel Dennison's Regiment of Connecticut troops, and served in that company till Captain Hewitt's death at the battle of Wyoming. 
He was then attached to Captain Spalding's company in Colonel Butler's regiment and was discharged at the expiration of his enlistment.
His home in Pennsylvania, at least after the Revolution, until 1810, was at Tioga Point, on the Chemung River. 
At that time he moved to Canada, on the site of the present city of Ingersoll. 
Mr. Graham must have been in the enemy's country all during the War of 1812, but as soon as peace was declared in 1816 he crossed the border and took up his residence first at Mt. Clemens.
 
The Graham Family 
His two sons, Benjamin and Alexander, started out during the summer to look up a suitable location for a home. 
Following up the Clinton River, they passed beyond the site of Rochester for a mile or two and concluded they had found what they were seeking. 
They cut hay in the open meadows along the stream, built a little hut and returned for their family. 
The following spring, their father, his sons and son-in-law, Christopher Hartsough and John Hersey, arrived on the 17th of March. 
They paid their homage to good St. Patrick by rolling up the first log house in Rochester for Alexander Graham.
James Graham stayed for a short time with his son, then took up a squatter's claim on section 21. 
He lived here only a year or so when he removed to the farm now occupied by William Graham, who inherited it from his father, Benjamin Graham.
The wife of James Graham was Mary Van de Mark, a native of Holland, and his family comprised nine children; James, David, John, Alexander, William, Benjamin (b. March 23, 1808; d. Oct. 13. 1864; m. Nov. 18, 1832; Mary Postal b. March 23, 1808; d. Jan. 20, 1845 m Avon, dau. of George Washington and Lydia (Fulham) Postal of Avon, Mich.), Chester, Martha and Mary.
The Oakland County History (1877), tells us that Alexander Graham married a Miss Hawkins and lived on the east side of what was afterwards called Main street in the house mentioned, where his eldest son, James, named iii honor of his grandfather was born early in the year 1818, and who was also the first white child born in the county. 
The proprietors of the village subsequently gave the lot on which the pioneer baby was born to the youngster, who owned it till his decease when it passed to its present owner, which at the date mentioned (1876), was John Barger.
James Graham is remembered for his unbounded hospitality and proverbial kindness. 
He was not only held in high esteem by his white neighbors, but the Indians as well who would do anything Mrs. Graham asked of them. 
She died September 7, 1835. 
He died September 5, 1837, aged eighty-nine, and they he buried in the little cemetery the Grahams have consecrated for this purpose.
 
Mr. Alexander Graham was well versed in the Indian tongue, and acted as interpreter. 
Benjamin also understood the language and was a trader. 
He was called by the Indians "Mauchung," which meant chunk bottle, as all commodities sold to them (sugar, flour, powder and whiskey, alike), he measured in a chunky glass bottle. 
Many interesting stories are current of the Graham boys and their representatives are still living in our midst.
 
Nathaniel Baldwin 
Nathaniel Baldwin came only a year after the Grahams, and settled near by. 
He taught school in a log schoolhouse which stood where the stone blacksmith shop now stands. 
He was born in Goshen, Connecticut, July 20, 1761. 
While still a lad he enlisted in the sixth regiment from Connecticut under Colonel Parsons. 
This regiment was organized at the first call for troops and recruited from New London, Hartford and Middlesex counties. 
He remained on duty at New London until July 17, 1775, when they were ordered to the Boston camps, where they remained until discharged, December 10, 1775.
After the war Mr. Baldwin was married to Susanna Sherman, niece of Roger Sherman, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. 
Their children were: 
(I.) John, b. July 16, 1784: 
(II.) Martha Minot, b. April 20, 1795; d. June 28, 1839; m. Thomas J. Drake;
(III.) Nathaniel Augustus, b. June 27, 1801; d. Aug. 22, 1845; m. (1st) Margaret, m. (2) Jane Maxwell, April 2, 1842, died March 23, 1884; 
(IV.) Susanna Eliza, b. July 12, 1805; d. Jan. 18, 1858, unmarried; 
(V.) Walter Baldwin, b. Feb. 5, 1809.
The Baldwin Genealogy gives two other children, Sherman and Zimri, and the ancestry of Nathaniel as Nathaniel (4), Nathaniel (3), Samuel (2), Nathaniel (1), of Milford, Connecticut.
Mr. Baldwin moved with his family from Connecticut to East Bloomfield, New York, where they lived many years before coming to Michigan. 
The track of land they occupied lies about two miles south of Rochester, where the Crout farm now is located. 
His daughter, Susan, taught school in the Postal district in a small log house built for the purpose in 1821, one of the earliest schools in the county. 
Mrs. Baldwin seems to have been a woman of excellent Christian character and patience, and died January 2, 1839, aged seventy-four. 
Nathaniel Baldwin lived until August 30, 1840, when he was laid to rest in the cemetery at Rochester. 
Mrs. Milo Newberry, a granddaughter, is the only member of the family now living in Oakland county. 
 
George Horton 
Another Revolutionary soldier to settle as neighbor to Nathaniel Baldwin and James Graham, was George Horton. 
He gave his military service in Pennsylvania, enlisting in May, 1780, when nineteen years of age, in Captain Shoemaker's company, Pennsylvania troops. 
He was in no pitched battles, but participated in several skirmishes with the Indians. 
He served until September, 1783.
Mr. Horton emigrated from Northampton County, Pennsylvania, to Canada in 1809, where he settled first at Port Colborne. 
In 1820 he moved to Yarmouth, Elgin County, Ontario, and in March, 1825, arrived at Detroit, and came to Avon Township, settling about two miles south of the village of Rochester. 
He seems to have lived with his son-in-law, Cornelius Decker, who located on section 21. 
His son, Benjamin Horton, took up land on section 22. 
There were about twenty people who came from Canada at this time, the heads of the families being all related to George Horton. 
Mrs. Elsie Horton, wife of George Horton, was buried in the Rochester cemetery, in February, 1827. 
He died in 1835, the exact date being unknown, but his last pension was paid March 4, 1835
 
Stephen Mack 
The blazing of the trail into Oakland county did much for the settlement of Michigan, as it proved that the interior of the territory was not the morass that the interested fur traders had reported it to be, unfit for cultivation, but was as fine farming land as could be desired. 
A company of Detroit and Macomb county men, called the Pontiac Company, with Colonel Stephen Mack as their agent, purchased 1,280 acres of land for the purpose of establishing a town on the tract. 
The company was formed in November, 1818, and the first building erected on the site of Pontiac was a log cabin put up by their workmen who came out to build the dam and sawmill. 
It stood on the corner of Saginaw and Water streets, near where the old Clinton House is now located.
Colonel Mack was long the most prominent business man in Pontiac. 
He was born in Lyme, Connecticut, 1764, and emigrated with his father, Solomon Mack, before the revolution to Gilsum, New Hampshire. 
The war found both father and son rendering service with the patriots.
Stephen Mack's name appears on a receipt dated Montague, March 24, 1781, for bounty paid said Mack by the town of Montague, to serve in Continental Army for the term of three years; also, descriptive list of men raised in Hampshire to serve in the Continental Army, as returned by Noah Goodwin, superintendent; age, 16 years; stature, 5 feet 4 inches; complexion, light; occupation, farmer; engaged for town of Montague, April 2, 1781, term of three years; also, private in Captain John Trotter's Company, Colonel Rufus Putnam's sixth regiment; muster roll for April, 1781; dated, West Point. 
(Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors of the Revolution, Vol. 10, page 109.)
Colonel Mack married, 1788, Temperance Bond of Gilsum, and they settled in Tunbridge, Vermont, where he engaged in the mercantile business. 
He also built a tavern at the "branch" which became famous in after years as the "White House." 
It was the first painted building in the place. 
He took a great interest in military matters and eventually rose to the command of one of the militia regiments of the Green Mountain state, whence came his title of Colonel. 
About the year 1810 he came to Detroit, where he again embarked as a merchant, and was here when General Hull surrendered to the British. 
During their occupancy his affairs were in pretty bad shape. 
After the war was over he engaged in trade under the firm name of Mack and Conant. 
He was a trustee of the village of Detroit and a member of the reception committee for President Monroe in 1817; supervisor in 1816-1818, and director of the Bank of Michigan in 1818. 
After the Pontiac Company was formed he made Pontiac his home. 
He and his partners associated themselves with Judge Sibley as a silent partner and under the name of Mack, Conant and Sibley obtained from the Pontiac Company the title to the water power for which they were to pay a thousand dollars toward county buildings, if the county seat were located at Pontiac. 
Beside the dam and sawmill, they erected a grist mill and a small woolen mill, which was of great convenience to the pioneers.
 
 
Colonel Mack's Family 
Colonel Mack's family, consisting of wife and twelve children, had remained in Vermont on a farm until 1816 when they removed to Norwich, Vermont, in order to have better school facilities. 
A military college was located there where Almon Mack obtained a knowledge of military tactics, which made him quite a prominent officer in the militia of Michigan in after years. 
In 1822 the family came to Detroit and one of the daughters, Lovina, and an adopted orphan girl, Elvira Jamieson, came to Pontiac and kept house for the colonel. 
His son, Almon, also came about this time and took charge of his father's books and made himself generally useful about the mills and in time came to be the manager of the business.
Colonel Mack as early as 1820 had erected a large building which was used as a dwelling and an office, and was called the company's building. 
It stood nearly in front of the mill. This dwelling was occupied by Colonel Mack's family in 1823 on their arrival from Detroit.
Colonel Stephen Mack died November 11, 1826, and was buried on his own land on the east side of the river and south of Pike street. 
He was afterward buried in Oak Hill cemetery on the crest of the hill that overlooks the land he was the first white man to possess.
Stephen Mack, Jr. (born 1798), located in Rockton, Illinois, where he opened a trading house for Indian goods. 
He afterward married (1828), the daughter of a Winnebago chief. 
He held various offices, among them that of county judge. 
His death took place in Rockton about 1849. 
John M., another son, settled in Hamtramck. (Married April 8, 1827, Maria A. King.) 
He also held various offices in the gift of the people.
Colonel Almon Mack (born April 28, 1805), married the orphan girl, Elvira Jamieson, in March, 1827. 
She was a woman of extraordinary mental and physical endowment and greatly beloved and respected by all who knew her.
Of the daughters, Lovicy (born September 13, 1795), married David Cooper, a wealthy merchant of Detroit. 
Her twin sister, Lavina, was the first white woman to die in Pontiac, September 2, 1823. 
Harriet married Reuben Hatch, who had been a lieutenant in the army. 
He died about 1827 while in charge of the lighthouse at Fort Gratiot. 
His widow afterward married Hon. Gideon O. Whittemore. 
Dr. George Drake is one of her descendants. 
Acseah died young.
I Joseph Smith, the Mormon prophet, was a cousin of the Macks, and visited Oakland county several times previous to his removal to Illinois. 
Almira Mack, twin'io Almon., joined the Mormons at an early day and followed their fortunes to Utah, where she was living in 1876. 
Mrs. Mack joined her daughter in 1846 and remained with her until her death, which occurred some ten years later. 
Ruth Mack married Buckland, and her twin Rhoda married Stanley.
In 1824, during Colonel Stephen Mack's residence in Pontiac he built a grist mill at Rochester. 
After the Colonel's death his sons, Almon and John M., were appointed administrators of his estate, which was involved in the collapse of the Bank of Michigan. 
Colonel Mack was one of the bondsmen of James McCloskey, the cashier of the institution who defaulted to a large amount, and being the only one who had available means, his entire estate, except a small dower to the widow, was absorbed in the settlement, and his heirs were virtually left penniless.
 
Joseph Todd and Party 
Although it was through the agency of Stephen Mack that Pontiac was located and settled, yet the first actual settlers were Joseph Todd, his son-in-law, Orisson Allen and William Lester, and their families. 
Joseph Todd was born February 11, 1765, at Warsaw, New York, and was a resident of that place when he enlisted for service in the Revolution in April, 1781, serving ten months and twenty days as a private in Captain Peter Bertholft's company, Colonel Henry Wisner's regiment. 
His father also was Joseph Todd who was a second lieutenant in the same company.
In 1818, at the time he applied for a pension, he was a resident of Palmyra, New York, and it was in November of the same year that he journeyed to Michigan, taking twenty-eight days to reach Detroit from Buffalo. 
They were driven back to Erie three times by bad winds. 
From Detroit they moved by wagons to Mt. Clemens and soon after Mr. Todd and his party set out on an exploring tour into what is now Oakland County. 
It was now the middle of December and the snow lay ten or twelve inches deep. 
Each man carried a supply of provisions, a blanket and an axe. 
Two of them were armed with rifles.
The first night's encampment was where the village of Romeo afterward grew up. 
They cleared away the snow and built a fire and then felled a hollow basswood tree, which they cut in seven foot lengths and split open. 
Each man took half a log, placed it by the fire and with his blanket snugly wrapped around him lay down in the hollow inside and had a good night's sleep. 
The next day they camped where Pontiac now is. 
They returned to Mt. Clemens convinced that Pontiac would be their future home, and began preparations for moving thither. 
They were three days making the journey with a team. 
At the time there were four houses on the road, at two of which they passed the night. 
They reached Pontiac the 19th of January, 1819, and occupied the one log house that the company had built, making a little community of fourteen persons. 
There were no chambers in the house, no chimney, and no floor, except some split logs where they laid their beds. 
Here they lived until April, when their own houses were ready for occupancy.
Mr. Todd was not well after coming to Michigan, and by July the whole party were sick, not one able to help the other. 
Dr. William Thompson was the only physician in the county and he lived eight miles from Pontiac. 
Fever and ague was, of course, the complaint. 
Affairs, however, grew brighter after a little and Mr. Todd lived to see the village a thriving one, even boasting of the advent of a railroad. 
He married first, Julia Johnson, who died February 10, 1843, aged seventy-four. 
He married, second, Patty Lee, September 21, 1843. 
Joseph Todd died at Bloomfield, Michigan, August 4, 1848, and is buried in Oak Hill cemetery.
Children: 
(I.) Elizabeth, b. Dec. 11, 1791; d. Nov. 5, 1846 in Bloomfield; m. 1st, Harding; m. 2d, Asa B. Hadsell.
(II.) Catherine, b. Aug. 1796; d. March 18, 1845, in Pontiac. m. Orisson Allen.
(III.) Julia, m. 1st, Todd; m. 2d, Joseph Voorheis.
(IV.) John, m. Polly Smith.
(V.) Joseph J., b. 1800; m. Chloe Matthews.
(VI.) Jonathan.
(VII.) Samuel, b. 1804; m. Dec. 31, 1839, Armena Irons. Ithamar Smith 
 
Ithamar Eleazer (5), John (4), John (3), Philip (2), Lieut. Samuel (1) Smith, was born at Longmeadow, Massachusetts, January 13, 1756. 
He married January 26, 1780, Lucy Nevers of Springfield, and had by her thirteen children, seven of whom he buried in New England. 
She died September 25, 1843.
Mr. Smith in June, 1776, enlisted for six months as a private in Captain Josiah Smith's company, Col. Whitney's regiment; also in April or May, 1777, as artificer for two years in Capt. Richard Faxon's company, Col. David Mason's regiment; again, in 1779, he was in charge of the quartermaster's shop at Springfield, Massachusetts, under Col. William Smith. 
At the time of his enlistment he was a resident of Wilbraham, Hampshire county, Massachusetts. 
About the year 1806 he removed to Marcellus, Onondaga county, New York, September 14, 1832 he applied for and received a pension while resident of this place. 
From there his wife and children and grandchildren, except his youngest son, Dr. George Smith and family of Syracuse, numbering twenty persons, came to Pontiac in the fall of 1835.
When they left Marcellus they came to a place called Jordan on the Erie canal, where they chartered a boat for Buffalo. 
Some of the neighbors followed them to the canal to bid them farewell, for Michigan was then considered near the "jumping off place" and the good old minister preached a sermon before they started, from the text "They seek a country." 
Arriving at Buffalo they took a steamboat for Detroit, and thence over a rough road to Pontiac. 
They all moved into the house known as the Benjamin Phelps house (now the Presbyterian parsonage) and remained there until they could look around and select a permanent home.
Mr. Smith bought the farm of Mr. Griffin, afterwards known as the George Wisner farm, which was managed by his son-in-law, Deacon Frost. 
He and his family were very regular in their attendance at church, going quite often with oxen for the first year or two. 
He was quite deaf and used to stand in the pulpit with the minister when he was over eighty years of age, no matter how long the sermon. 
In 1843 he sold his farm to George Wisner, taking in part payment a farm in West Bloomfield. 
About this time his wife was taken sick and died, aged eighty-four years. 
They had lived together sixty-three years. 
On the 1st of September, 1844, while getting ready to go to meeting Mr. Smith fell and died in a few minutes.
 
Ithamar Smith was a blacksmith by trade and in 1874 there was still existing an account book he used from 1800 to 1812. 
While in the Revolutionary service he had the pleasure of seeing and shaking by the hand his great commander, George Washington. 
On the 4th of July, 1838, at a celebration given by the citizens of Pontiac, Mr. Smith and Mr. Beach, another Revolutionary soldier living here, were given the posts of honor. 
He is buried in Oak Hill cemetery.
Children: 
(I.) Roderick, b. March 10, 1781.
(II.) Henry, b. April 19, 1782.
(III.) Henry, b. Feb. 17, 1784.
(IV.) Sally, b. March 5, 1786.
The foregoing all died in infancy.
(V.) Sarah, b. January 23, 1787, d. February 8, 1876 Pontiac, Mich.
(VI.) Fanny, b. January 12, 1789, d. March 1858, Pontiac, Mich.
(VII.) John Morgan, b. Dec. 31, 1790; d. Oct. 26, 1864, Grand Rapids; m. January 8, 1811, Lydia Goodrich, b. January 3, 1794, d. March 25, 1881, in Manistee, Mich., dau. Allen Goodrich.
(VIII.) Eleazer b. October 21, 1792; d. Nov. 23, 1797.
(IX.) Hannah Morgan, b. June 17, 1794; d. May 1, 1851, Pontiac, Mich.; m. Josiah Frost.
(X.) Louis Nevins, b. March 21, 1796; d. May 1796.
(XI.) George (Dr.) b. August 19, 1797; d. August 25, 1844, Syracuse, N. Y.; m. Electa Ellis.
(XII.) Lucy, b. April 17, 1799; d. July 8, 1837, Pontiac, Mich.; m. Weston Frost.
(XIII.) Eleazar, b. November 25, 1801; d. May 22, 1802.
 
William Nathan Terry 
William Nathan Terry made his declaration November 10, 1828, at which time he was sixty-eight years old. 
He enlisted for the war in March, 1774; was at the battle of Bunker Hill in June, 1775, as a member of Capt. Ransom's company of Pennsylvania troops, in Colonel Butler's regiment. 
He served till October, 1782. 
While on a furlough he fought as a volunteer at the battle of Wyoming, and afterward returned to his corps and was engaged in the battle of Princeton. 
He came to Michigan in 1824, leaving property in Tioga County, New York, out of which he was partially swindled, and was too poor to prosecute his rights for its recovery. 
He settled on the Saginaw turnpike, two miles northwest of Pontiac, and lived to be about eighty years old. 
He died January 20, 1840, and is buried on the Charles Terry lot in Oak Hill cemetery. 
His wife, Eleanor Lewis, died August 25, 1849, aged seventy-three years.
Children: 
(I.) Charles, d. July 3, 1854, aged fifty-two years; cemetery record.
(II.) Sarah Lee, b. October 27, 1806; d. June 13, 1899; m. July 5, 1827, Isaac Voorheis, b. March 11, 1806; d. July 12, 1892. 
(III.) Ellen, m. Sept. 14, 1833, Matthew Stanley. 
(IV.) William, m. Hannah Lusk. 
(V.) Jacob.
(VI.) Joshua, m. Lucy Tining. (VII.) John.
(VIII.) Merritt, m. Emily Lewis.
(IX.) Caleb, b. October 11, 1816, Palmyra, Wayne county, N. Y.; d. April 26, 1890, Lansing, Mich.; m. 1840 Loraine Cole, b. February 1, 1821, d. September 13, 1908, Port Huron, dau. of John and Elizabeth (Skinner) Cole.
(X.) Polly, m. Elijah Kirkham.
(XI.) Barney.
 
Joshua Chamberlin and Enoch Hotchkiss 
The fifth Revolutionary soldier's grave to be located and marked in Oak Hill cemetery, Pontiac, was that of Joshua Chamberlin. 
He enlisted April 3, 1777, at Richmond, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, serving as a private until April 3, 1780, in Captain Jeremiah Miller's company, Col. Vose's regiment of Massachusetts troops. 
He applied in 1818 for a pension, which was granted, he being a resident of Lewiston, Niagara County, New York. 
In 1820 he was a resident of Detroit and undoubtedly came to Pontiac with his sons, Joshua, Jr., and Dr. Olmstead Chamberlin, two years later. 
Dr. Chamberlin was one of the prominent business men of Pontiac a great many years. 
His father died February 20, 1827, aged sixty-seven years. 
Sarah, his wife, died at Gorham, New York, August 14, 1814, aged forty-nine.
 
Enoch Hotchkiss, who is buried in the orchard on the farm he originally settled in 1819, is claimed to be a soldier of the Revolution.
 
Emjah Drake 
The early life of Elijah Drake was spent in the neighborhood of the Delaware Water Gap, that now famous summer resort where the combination of mountain and river forms scenery unexcelled in beauty. 
Here he was born July 4, 1759. 
In the sparsely settled country embraced by Smithfield Township, the settlers were protected from raids of hostile Indians by the garrison at Fort Penn. 
It was located on a large tract of land owned by Col. Stroud and commanded also by him. 
Lying adjacent to this great property of Col. Stroud was the land of Samuel Drake, father of Elijah.
A company belonging to the Associates Battalion formed in Pennsylvania was organized in Smithfield May 22, 1775, of which Jacob Stroud was captain and Samuel Drake lieutenant. 
In 1776 Jacob Stroud was colonel and Samuel Drake captain (Vol. 14, second series of Pennsylvania Archives, page 555, 576).
In June, 1778, the records of the Bureau of Pensions state that Elijah Drake enlisted as a private and served six months under Capt. Benjamin Schoonhoven, Col. Stroud's Pennsylvania regiment; reenlisted June 5, 1779, for three months under the same captain in Col. Armstrong's regiment Pennsylvania troops. 
After that a service of fifteen days is recorded under Capt. Samuel Shoemaker and his place of residence is given as Lower Smithville, Northhampton County, Pennsylvania. 
The state records also show the service of his brother Thomas. 
This official record is meager enough, for in reality he gave four years of his life to the service of his country. 
The position of the family on the frontier of necessity demanded the protection of father and sons in the early days of the war and Elijah thus served three years before his official enlistment in 1778.
Like others of the valiant volunteers who first viewed the fertile valley of the Susquehanna in time of strife, he was resolved to make this locality his home sometime in the future, and after serving as executor of his father's estate in 1789 he joined his sister Ruth, who had married Capt. Daniel McDowel and settled at Chemung, fourteen miles below Newtown Point, or Elmira, as the place is now called.
Living in the beautiful valley of Wyoming at the time of the terrible massacre, was the family of Thomas and Abigail (Culver) Stoddard, settlers from Connecticut. 
They were warned of the approaching danger by a friendly Indian, in time to escape with their children. 
Their daughter Abigail was at that time eight or nine years old and many times in the course of her long life of ninety years, she recited the thrilling experiences which were so indelibly stamped upon her memory. 
The youngest child of two years of age died of exposure and hardships encountered in their long march in the wilderness.
Just where was their refuge we do not know, but presumably to the north. 
This much is fact—that Elijah Drake married Abigail Stoddard in the year 1790 at Newtown Point. 
Their home was in Chemung, as we find Elijah Drake elected overseer of highways at the fourth town meeting held 1791. 
The next year he is still a resident, as is proved by a release given by him to his brother Joseph, for his interest in a piece of land adjoining their home farm.
His second daughter, Welthy, is said to have been born in Scipio, New York. 
If so, the change of residence must have taken place early in 1793. 
His father-in-law, Thomas Stoddard, went with him, and they settled on a farm in the town of Scipio, one and three-fourths miles east of the village of Aurora, lying on Cayuga Lake. 
Here his eight sons were born and here he lived until 1821 when he sold out and bought a farm two miles east of the village of Perry, Genesee County, New York, where he resided ten years.
Thomas J., the second son, had made his way to Pontiac, Michigan, in 1824, and became one of the most prominent men of the early history of Oakland County. 
His success and liking for the new country influenced the rest of the family to leave New York for the land of promise.
In 1835 Elijah Drake, with six of his sons, and their families embarked from Buffalo on the old time steamer, "Thomas Jefferson." 
One son, Cyrus, with his family, settled in Huron County, Ohio, but the other five became pioneers of Michigan. 
After tarrying a while in Oakland County, the old gentleman and his wife went to live with their sons who had settled near Ann Arbor. 
After a residence there of a few years, they removed with their son, Dr. Flemon Drake, in 1844, to Royal Oak, where they made their home the remaining years of their lives.
Elijah Drake died April 8, 1848. 
His wife lived to be over ninety years old and died February 20, 1860.
Children: 
(I.) Sally, b. January 11, 1791, at Chemung, N. Y.; d. February 18, 1875, at Humberstone, Ont.; m. April 4, 1810 at Scipio, N. Y., Guy Jerome Atkins. 
(II.) Welthy, b. March 4, 1793, at Scipio, N. Y.; d. April 30, 1856, at Buffalo, N. Y.; m. March 4, 1820 at Perry, N. Y., Samuel Rudolph Atkins.
(III.) Samuel, b. August 27, 1795, at Scipio, N. Y.; d. Sept., 1827, at New Orleans, La.; m. November 28, 1816 at Buffalo, Eliza Chapman, oldest daughter of Col. Asa Chapman. 
Her mother was Electa Doney, daughter of John and Mary (Keyes) Doney. 
Mrs. Eliza Drake died January 5, 1859, at Farmington, Mich.
(IV.) Thomas Jefferson, b. April 18, 1797, at Scipio, N. Y.; d. April 20, 1875, at Pontiac, Mich.; m. December 17, 1826, Martha Minot Baldwin, daughter of Nathaniel Baldwin of Rochester; m. 2d April 19, 1843, Evelina H. Talbot.
(V.) Cyrus, b. December 24, 1800, Scipio, N. Y.; d. April 15, 1855; m. November 14, 1824, Sylvia Huestis.
(VI.) Elias, b. Sept. 25, 1803, Scipio, N. Y.; d. Nov. 18, 1878, at Madison, Lenawee county, Michigan; m. Sept. 19, 1837 at Lima, Washtenaw county, Michigan., Jane Hudson.
(VII.) Elijah, b. December 24, 1805, at Scipio, N. Y.; d. April 14, 1875, at Flint, Mich.; m. June 1, 1839 at Rush, Livingstone county, N. Y., Sally Webster.
(VIII.) Flemon, b. April 30, 1807, at Scipio, N. Y.; d. November 2, 1865, at Royal Oak, Mich.; m. April 10, 1834, Electa Depue; m. 2d, Mary E. Pierson.
(IX.) Edward L., b. April 30, 1810, at Scipio, N. Y.; d. Feb. 4, 1896, at McBain, Mich.; m. 1st, 1834, Ambrosia Lacy; m. 2d, Mrs. Cynthia B. Capen.
(X.) Morgan L., b. Oct. 18, 1813, Scipio, N. Y.; d. April 21, 1865. at Pontiac, Mich.; m. September 19, 1837, Sarah Sophronia Stannard Ezra Parker 
 
One of the two Revolutionary soldiers buried in the township cemetery of Royal Oak is Ezra Parker. 
He was born in Wallingford, Connecticut, December 13, 1745, and died in Royal Oak, Michigan, July 7, 1842 in the ninety-seventh year of his age.
With the family of his father, Andrew Parker, they removed from Wallingford, Connecticut, to Adams, Massachusetts, about 1770; having previously married Sarah Tuttle. 
He married as his second wife, Elizabeth Perry of North Adams, Massachusetts, about 1772 and they had ten children, to-wit: Samuel, David, Ezra, William M., Joel, Cratus, Elizabeth, Ira, Abigail and another son, name unknown, who died young.
After the Battle of Lexington, April, 1775, Mr. Parker joined the Berkshire Company; was present at the battle of Bunker Hill in Boston, and in September of that year was a sergeant among the picked 1,200 which constituted Arnold's expedition through the wilds of Maine to Quebec and participated in the entire campaign, returning with the remnants of that expedition. 
Later a commission was tendered him in the Revolutionary army by the state of Massachusetts, but was declined. 
He, still as sergeant, was engaged among the troops from western Massachusetts at the battles of Bennington and Saratoga.
In 1793 the family removed to Herkimer County, New York, and in 1795 to Bridgewater, Oneida County, New York. 
Mr. Parker, however, was the owner of extensive tracts of land in various points, in the state of New York, including St. Lawrence County near Watertown, and upon these tracts he settled his various children. 
Later, he and Mrs. Parker made their home with their son, William M., in Sangersfield County, New York, from about 1813 to 1835, and removed with his son William to Royal Oak, Oakland County, Michigan, in June, 1835, living there until his death in 1842. 
His descendants are quite numerous and are scattered all over the United States. 
The family is connected through various branches with many of the prominent families of the east of that name.
The only ones of his immediate descendants living in this section was William M. Parker, who married Lydia Gilbert Bull in Bridgewater, Oneida County, New York, in 1802, and the fruits thereof were eleven children, seven of whom were living and removed with the family to Michigan in 1835. 
William M. Parker also owned numerous tracts of land in the state of Michigan in Oakland and Genesee counties, especially but settled upon the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 6, township of Royal Oak, and on the old road previously described, having purchased the farm or land of Alexander Campbell. 
Of his children, Asher B. Parker first settled upon the west half of the northeast quarter of section 8 and the east half of the northeast quarter of section 7, township of Royal Oak. 
For four years, 1840 to 1844, he lived in the township of Genesee, county of Genesee. 
In 1839 Asher B. Parker married Harriet M. Castle, they having seven children, all of whom are living at the present date. 
One son, Ralzemond A. Parker lives upon the old homestead and is a practicing lawyer in Detroit.
William Parker was with Hooker's congregation settling Hartford, Connecticut, removing thereto from Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1639. 
He had three sons, the youngest, John, settled in New Haven, Connecticut, and also had among other children a son John (2nd).
John 2d was born in 1648, married Hannah Bassett in 1670 and was among the early planters at Wallingford, Connecticut, giving the name of Parker's farm to a locality there west of the village, which name it still bears.
Among numerous children was one Joseph, the fifth child who married Sarah Curtis in 1705, and among eleven children was one Andrew who married Susannah Blakesless.
The children of Andrew Parker were Ambros, 1738; Grace, 1739, and Patience; Zeruiah, 1741; Oliver, 1743; Ezra, December 13, 1745; Susannah, 1747; Rachael. 1749; Sybil, 1753; and Jason, 1764. 
He moved with the family to Adams, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, where he died. 
Jason Parker founded stage lines early in the nineteenth century and these lines ran to all parts of the state east, west, north and south, and west as far as Niagara Falls.
 
Jeremiah Clarke 
Jeremiah Clarke was born in Preston, Connecticut, in 1760 or 1761. 
He lived with his father in Shaftsbury, Vermont, and in the Revolutionary war served under Capt. Bigelow Lawrence, entering service March 2, 1778; discharged May 2, 1778; in service sixty days. 
His father, Jeremiah Clarke, Sr., was a member of the first convention of delegates from towns in July, 1776; major in 1777; was member of first Council of Safety of Vermont, 1778; Judge of the first court, and member of executive council for years (Vermont Hist. Soc., Vol. 1 pp. 11, 15, 21, 23, 25; Vermont State Papers, 257, 266, 277, 553, 555).
In his journeying to the westward, after the war, his first stop was in Bath, New Jersey, where he built one of the first houses. 
Here he did not tarry long, however, for we find him one of the early settlers of Nelson, Madison County, New York. 
He lived north of Erieville and built the first sawmill that was put up in the town, where now is the outlet of the Erieville reservoir. 
Before 1808 he moved to Onondaga County and finally spent the last years of his life in Clarkston, Oakland County, Michigan, where his sons had settled and died there June 1, 1845, aged eighty-four years. 
He married Sarah Millington in 1780. 
She was born in 1767; died July 17, 1845, aged seventy-eight years. 
They had fourteen children and a goodly proportion of the inhabitants of Clarkston claim descent from them.
Children: 
(I.) Julia, m. Elnathan Cobb; lived in Onondaga county, N. Y. 
(II.) Amasa, m. a Mr. Green; went to Illinois over seventy years ago.
(III.) Lydia, b. 1781; d. September 14, 1845. Clarkston. Mich.; m. Nicholas Brown.
(IV.) Henry, left home when eighteen or twenty years of age and never heard of afterward. (V.) Amos.
(VI.) Jeremiah, b. Sept. 19, 1790, Shaftsbury, N. H.; d. August 29, 1847, Dewitt, N. Y.; m. Phebe Holdridge 1814, b. August 6, 1791; d. August 9, 1838.
(VII.) Lucy, m. William Johnson; lived in Nelson, N. Y.
(VIII.) Amy, b. 1794; d. July 29, 1953, Clarkston, Mich.; m. Oliver Poole.
(IX.)Susan, b. October 25, 1797; m. 1821 Jeremiah Blair. (X.) Hiram.
(XI.) Sarah, b. Feb. 15, 1806; d. March 5, 1872, Clarkston, Mich.; m. Jacob Walter.
(XII.) Nelson, b. June 8, 1808; d. April 17, 1876, Northville, Mich. (XIII.) Sidney.
(XIV.) Ebenezer, b. August 6, 1812; d. February 7, 1868, Michigan Center, Jackson county, Michigan.
 
Benjamin Grace 
Benjamin Grace made application for a pension on April 30, 1818, at which time he was fifty-eight years of age and resided in Lyons, New York. 
His pension was allowed for three years of actual service as a private in the New Hampshire troops, Revolutionary war. 
He enlisted at Amherst, New Hampshire, 1780, and served under Captain Livermore and Colonel Scammel until 1783. 
He came in 1828 to reside with his children at Farmington, Oakland County, Michigan, and died on the William Grace farm a mile north of Clarenceville, on November 15, 1851, aged ninety-one years and is buried in the Clarenceville cemetery. 
He was blind for nearly thirty years during the latter part of his life. 
Benjamin Grace is said to have entered service at the age of fifteen years, at the battle of Lexington, and continued in active duty all during the war, being at the surrender of Yorktown.
Children all born in Canaan, Somerset County, Maine: 
(I.) Benjamin, died in his youth.
(II.) Mary (Polly), m. Russell.
(III.) James, b. Apr. 27, 1789, d. Mar. 20, 1866, Livonia, Wayne Co., Mich.; m. May 22, 1814, Hannah Patten, b. June 22, 1792, d. Feb. 20, 1879, dau. of James Patten.
(IV.) Hannah, b. June 13, 1791, d. Feb. 20, 1879, Livonia, Wayne Co., Mich.; m. Solomon Lambert, b. June 15, 1792; d. Apr. 8, 1882.
(V.) William, left home and was never heard of afterward.
(VI.) Abigail, m. Williard Lambert.
(VII.) Amasa, b. Aug. 1797; d. July 14, 1873, Farmington, Mich.; m. in Maine, Jane Barton, a native of Ireland.
(VIII.) Sally, b. 1802; d. Oct. 20, 1861, Farmington, Mich.; m. Stephen Jennings, d. Sept. 5, 1850, aged 49 years.
(IX.) Amelia, m. John Grace, b. Feb. 13, 1805, Maine; d. Feb. 7, 1860, Fulton, Gratiot Co., Mich.; son of Joseph and Susan (Close) Grace, Joseph, d. in town of Lyons, N. Y., when his son John was 12 years of age.
(X.) Harriet, b. March 17, 1807; m. George Barton, m. 2nd. Ward.
(XI.) Darius, b. Oct. 8, 1809; d. Jan. 2, 1892, Conway, Livingston Co., Mich.; m. Dec. 10, 1837, Livonia, Mich., Ann Eliza Grant; b. Feb. 27, 1822 Great Barrington, Mass.; living (1912) dau. of Warren G. Grant and Sophia Wilcox of Livonia.
 
Caleb Barker Merrell 
Capt. Caleb Barker Merrell was a commissioned officer in the American army during the struggle for independence, participating in the battles of Bennington, Bemis Heights, Saratoga, Stillwater and the surrender of Burgoyne, October 17, 1777. 
He was at one time taken prisoner, conveyed to Canada and was for some time confined by British authority. 
This memorial of him is given in Lakin's History, Military Lodge F. & A. M. No. 93, Manlius, N. Y. (p. 59), of which he was evidently a member. 
He was born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, and died in Springfield, Oakland county, Michigan, July 2, 1842, at the advanced age of eighty-eight years. 
His wife was Sally Jackson, to whom he was married June 29, 1788. She was born October 3, 1766 and died July 22, 186—, daughter of Col. Giles and Anna Thomas Jackson.
Capt. Merrell came to Michigan with his son, John J. Merrell in 1833, and settled in Springfield. 
He is buried in the cemetery at Clarkston.
Children: 
(I.) John Jackson Merrell, b. March 22, 1797, at Whitestone, N. Y.; d. Apr. 6, 1866; m. July 31, 1822, Maria Paddock, b. Jan. 4, 1804, Caznovia, N. Y.; died May 7, 1883.
(II.) Charlotte, b. Jan. 15, 1804; d. Apr. 4, 1873; m. John W. Pratt, b. Apr. 17, 1802; d. Apr. 24, 1847, Springfield.
(III.) Charles.
(IV.) Helen, m. Lovett.
(V.) Anna, m. David Leonard.
 
Levi Green 
Levi Green was born in Coventry, R. I., June 6, 1758, and died in West Bloomfield, Oakland County, Michigan, on the 21st of June, 1859. 
At the time of making application for a pension, September 28, 1832, he was a resident of Livonia, N. Y. 
He enlisted July 1, 1776, for eight and one half months under Captain Baldwin; 2nd enlistment July 1, 1777, one month, under Captain Newell; 3rd enlistment August, 1777, under Captain Brown, Colonel Simonds regiment, Massachusetts troops. 
He was engaged in the battle of Bennington. 
His grandson, Horace A. Green, has in his possession the original pension papers and a powder horn carved with his name which was carried through the war.
Levi Green's wife was Asenath Robinson. 
Their son, Zephaniah Ripley Green, with whom the father lived, arrived in West Bloomfield in July, 1832. 
He is buried in the North Farmington cemetery. 
Many of his descendants are living in Oakland County. 
Children: 
(I.) Aurelia, b. Nov. 5, 1785, Cheshire, Mass.; d. 1866, buried in Palermo, N. Y.; m. Joseph Chapel; m. 2nd, Selim Dayton.
(II.) Eunice, m. David Cripen.
(III.) Waterman, killed by falling tree when 18 years old.
(IV.) Sophia, d. about 1848; m. David Curtis.
(V.) Fanny, b. Apr. 3, 1794; m. July 7, 1812, Orange Chapin.
(VI.) Horace, b. ;d. Jan. 20, 1833, Springfield, Mich.; m. Sept. 21, 1820, Livonia, N. Y., Diantha Powell.
(VII.) Huldah, b. Sept. 24, 1799, Middleboro, N. Y.; d. Mar. 21, 1897; m. Godfrey Slocum.
(VIII.) Zephaniah Ripley, b. Aug. 6, 1801; d. Feb. 1, 1879; m. Dec. 3, 1826, Zerilla Gould.
(IX.) Emma, b. Apr. 24, 1804; d. June 19, 1889; m. June 7, 1827, Abner Beardsley.
(X.) Speedy, b. May 25, 1808; d. Mar. 21, 1890; m. Gerothman McDonald, June 4, 1827.
(XI.) Laura, b. Aug. 11, 1811; d. 1850 or '51; m. Sheldon Wilcox.
 
Joel Phelps 
Enlisted June, 1775, and served till January 3, 1776, with rank of sergeant in Capt. John McKinstry's company, Col. John Patterson's Massachusetts regiment; also reenlisted February 2, 1776, in same company and was taken prisoner in Canada. 
In 1777 served first in Capt. Hall's company, Col. Henry Sherborne's regiment, Continental army, and reenlisted June 16, 1777, in Capt. Stephen Hardin's company, Col. Zebulon Butler's Connecticut regiment. 
He was wounded in this service for which he was pensioned. 
Appointed quartermaster to accompany Gen. Burgoyne's army to Virginia and served from April or May, 1779, to May, 1780, as issuing commissary at Saratoga. 
Engaged in battles of the Cedars, Trenton, Princeton, Bound Brook, Wyoming and many skirmishes. 
Applied April 20, 1818, for pension, which was allowed, residing at that time in Bloomfield, Ontario county, New York, and being sixty-two years old, being born July 16, 1755. 
In 1821 soldier's wife "Anner" was fifty-four years old. 
There were twelve children. 
In 1836 he moved to Michigan and in September, 1837, was living in Oakland county. 
He is buried in the cemetery at Rose Corners.
Children: 
(I.) Gilbert, b. Dec. 26, 1788.
(II.) Minerva, b. Dec. 1, 1790.
(III.) Othanile, b. Feb. 10, 1793.
(IV.) Martha, b. July 4, 1795.
(V.) Sarah, b. May 5, 1798.
(VI.) Joel, b. May 22, 1800.
(VII.) Daniel, b. Aug. 16, 1802.
(VIII.) Mariah, b. Aug. 16, 1804.
(IX.) Aaron, b. Oct. 18, 1806.
(X.) Lewis, b. March 11, 1809; d. Feb. 10, 1897.
(XI.) Henry, b. Jan. 18, 1813.
(XII.) Stephen, b. 1815.
 
Elias Cady 
Elias Cady, son of Benajar Cady, was born in Providence, R. I., September 7, 1756. 
During the first year of the war the boy took his musket and went to Boston where he was enlisted as a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and served till its close. 
He spent the winter at Valley Forge with Washington, and one night he and the general went on a reconnoitering expedition, returning at the break of day with sufficient information to make the American army better prepared to meet the enemy when it came. 
At the end of the war he was married in a church at Providence, Rhode Island, to Olive Baker. 
Six children were born to them—Seth B., Rhoda, Mary, Sarah, Philinda and Elias. 
They moved to Utica, N. Y., where she died, and in 1838 he came with his son, Seth B., to Holly, Michigan, on March 31, 1853, he died at the home of this same son at Genesee and was buried in Oak Hill cemetery, two miles northwest of Holly, Michigan. 
He was a pensioner.
 
SAMUEL NILES
Samuel Niles was born in Rhode Island, and was a private under General Green in the War of the Revolution and was wounded in an action in his native state. 
He came to Michigan in 1835 and took up his residence with his son Johnson Niles, the first settler in the township of Troy, and remained here until his death in July, 1838. 
Buried in Crook's cemetery, Troy, Oakland county, Michigan. 
His wife, Smellage Sisson, died in 1835; m. 2nd, Lucy Roberts.
 
Silas Sprague 
Silas Sprague was another early settler and soldier who is buried in the Crooks cemetery at Troy, this county. 
He was born February 18, 1762, in Connecticut, coming to Michigan in 1824, with his son Silas; died March 8, 1841, in Troy. Michigan. 
His wife, Polly Leonard, was born October 16, 1763; died October 5, 1813, in New York. 
Their children were: 
(I.) Silas, b. Oct. 16, 1785. Middlebury, Conn.; d. July 2, 1868, Troy, Mich.; m. Nov. 12, 1807, Sarah Crofoot; m. 2nd, 1824, Amanda Bostwick; m. 3rd. 1855. Eunice Fuller.'
(II.) Polly, b. Mar. 9, 1790.
(III.) Charles, b. Dec. 13, 1791, Chenango Co., N. Y.; d. Nov. 30, 1871.
(IV.) Thomas, b. Apr. 6, 1794, Chenango Co., N. Y.; d. Apr. 1866.
(V.) Orrin, b. Aug. 20, 1796; d. June 8. 1874, Troy.
(VI.) Barnabas, b. Mar. 20, 1799; d. Sept. 30, 1865.
(VII.) John, b. July 4, 1801; d. Sept. 29, 1866, Troy, Mich.
(VIII.) Leonard, b. Aug. 29, 1804; Broome Co., N. Y.; d. July 24, 1880, Pontiac, Mich.
 
"Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors" gives his service as follows: 
Certificate dated May 31, 1780; signed by Truman Wheeler, muster master of Berkshire county, stating that in the fore part of July, 1779, he had mustered said Sprague and others to serve in the Continental army for the term of nine months, to the credit of the town of Great Barrington; also descriptive list of men raised in Berkshire county to serve in the Continental army for the term of nine months to Capt. Goodrich's company, Col. Ashley's regiment; age seventeen years; stature five feet, nine inches, complexion light; engaged for the town of Great Harrington; also served twelve days at Stillwater, 1781.
 
Esbon Gregory 
The Bureau of Pensions at Washington gives the following record: Esbon Gregory enlisted June 15, 1777, and served till August 17, 1777, as private in Capt. Amariah Babbitt's company, Col. Benjamin Simon's regiment of Massachusetts troops; also re-enlisted August 17, 1777, and served till October 17, 1777, under Capt. Herrick and Col. Seth Warner; also, after October 17, 1777, to May or June, 1778, as teamster under Capt. Luther Loomis and Col. Warner; also from May or June, 1778, for eight months in Capt. Peter Porter's company, General Stark's Life Guard; also April, 1779, three months as quartermaster transporting military stores for General Stark; also July 1, 1779, served as sergeant under Capt. Barnes in Col. Israel Capen's regiment; also June 1, 1780, one year as sergeant under Captains Hickok, Spoor and Gross, and Colonels Brown and Willett; also June 1, 1781, through November of that year. 
He engaged in the battle of Bennington in which he was wounded; also battles of Stone Arabia and Johnstown. 
At the time of his enlistment he was a resident of New Ashford or Lanesborough, Berkshire County, N. Y. and at the time of his application for pension May 4, 1818, he resided in Manlius, New York. 
In 1833 he lived in Hanover, that state. 
In 1837 he was living in Troy, Oakland County, with his son, Jesse Gregory, where he remained until his death in 184—. 
He is buried in the Plains cemetery, one and one quarter miles east of Troy Corners, Oakland County. 
His wife was Salome Sherwood.
Children: 
(I.) Solomon, m. Maria Hagerman.
(II.) Abigail, m. Johnson.
(III.) Salome, m. Absalom Kief.
(IV.) Mary Afin, m. Jan. 15, 1829, Sylvester Francis.
(V.) Jesse, b. Sept. 26, 1796, , N. Y.; d. July 22, 1849, Troy, Mich.; m. Mar. 26, 1826, Laura Downer, b. Dec. 29, 1799; d. July 7, 1874; dau. of Jackson and Tabitha (Hackett) Downer.
 
Zadock Wellman 
Zadock Wellman and his sons, Joel and Aaron, settled in Troy as early as 1819. 
They came from Vermont and were active in the Baptist church and town affairs until about 1847, when their names disappear. 
Zadock Wellman's name is found in the list of Revolutionary soldiers who were pensioners in 1840 when his age is given as seventy-nine and he resided with Joel Wellman in Troy. 
The wife of Joel was Martha and Aaron Wellman's wife was Lucy. 
The Wellmans are buried in the cemetery east of Troy Corners, Oakland County. 
 
Caleb Carr 
Caleb Carr, born October 13, 1762, died July 18, 1839, and is buried in Novi cemetery. 
He is said to have been a Methodist exhorter, (p. 130, Vol. Ill "Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors").
Caleb Carr, Jr.: Receipt dated Warwick, February, 1777, given to Capt. Squire Millard for wages for services for one day on an alarm November 2, 1776; also, private in Capt. Millard's company, Col. John Waterman's regiment, service between December 4, 1776, and January 9, 1777, thirty-five days; also first division Capt. Squire Millard's company, Col. Wakeman's regiment, service from January 9, 1777 to February 3, 1777, thirty-one days; also, receipt dated Warwick, 1777, given to Capt. Millard for wages from January 9 to February 8, 1777; also corporal first division, Squire Millard's company, Col. Waterman's regiment, service from April 6, 1777, to April 22, 1777, fifteen days.
The land records show that the Carr family bought land in Kensington in the year 1836, at which time Caleb Carr, Jr., was a resident of that place. 
A few years later the father and sons lived at Novi, Michigan, where Isaac Carr kept a tavern, which was burned in 1847. 
He then moved to Redford, Michigan, and kept tavern there the rest of his life.
 
Caleb Carr had children: Caleb, b. Vermont; d. in Williamston, Mich.; Isaac, b. September 6, 1790, Vermont; d. December 1862, Redford, Mich.; Calvin, b. Vermont; d. Waterford, Mich.; Sarah, b. June 5, 1800; d. February 9, 1837.
 
Hooper Bishop 
Hooper Bishop, another soldier of the Revolution, buried in Novi cemetery, Michigan, was born March 22, 1762; died April 3, 1861. 
He married February 12, 1794, Betsey; born March 22, 1758; died January 12, 1825. 
He came to Michigan before 1840 to live with his son Levi who owned a farm east of Novi, which is now owned by Mr. West. 
Mrs. Lozie Paddack remembers him well, as she often visited his granddaughter and he would tell them stories of the war, of which he had kept many relics, including his uniform and musket. 
He had a wooden leg and was blind and the children looked up to him as a great hero. 
His service is given in "Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors," Vol. II, p. 78, as follows: Hooper Bishop, private Capt. John Carpenter company; enlisted June 25, 1779; discharged September 25, 1779; service with guards at Springfield enlistment three months.
Hooper Bishop, private Capt. Caleb Keep's company, Col. Israel Chapen's regiment; enlisted October, 1779; discharged November 21, 1779; service 1 month, 11 days; enlisted three months; company raised to reinforce Continental army.
Hooper Bishop, South Brinefield descriptive list of men raised to reinforce Continental army for the term of six months, agreeable to resolve of June 5, 1780; Age, eighteen years; stature, five feet, five inches; complexion dark; residence South Brinefield; arrived in Springfield July 11, 1780; marched to camp July 11, 1780, under command of Captain George Webb. 
Also list of men raised for the six months service and returned by Brig. Gen. Patterson as having passed muster, in a return dated Camp Toloway, October 25, 1780; also pay roll for six-month men raised by the town of South Brinefield for service in the Continental army during 1780. 
Marched July, 1870; discharged December, 1780; service five months; discharged at West Point.
Also Hooper Bishop, private Capt. Abel King's company, Col. Sear's regiment; enlisted August 20, 1781; discharged November 26, 1781; service three months at Saratoga.
Children: 
(I.) Prudence, b. September 3, 1794.
(II.) Sally, b. February 26, 1797; d. February 4, 1858.
(III.) Levi, b. June 8, 1799; d. October 18, 1870, Novi, Oakland County, Mich.
(IV.) William, b. November 21, 1802.
 
Derrick Hulick 
Derrick Hulick was born May 5, 1759, Montgomery township, Somerset county, New Jersey. 
At the time of his enlistment he was still a resident of that county. 
He served as a private from June 1, 1776, for seven months in Capt. William Baird's company, Col. Quick's and Henry VanDike's regiment; also under Capt. Rynear Staats and Col. Frelinghuysen of New Jersey. 
Reenlisted, 1777, for eight months in John Baird's company, Col. Webster's regiment; again in April, 1778, for two months under Capts. Joakim Gulick and John Bair in Col. VanDike's regiment. 
Also January or February 1779, for six months and 1780 for one month in the same company. 
September 3, 1832, he applied for and was allowed a pension and at the time lived in Oxford Township, Warren County, New Jersey. 
In 1839 he resided with his son-in-law, Dennis Snyder, in the township of Addison, Oakland County. 
He died in 1843 and was the first person buried in the Lakeville cemetery. 
He is said also to have served in the War of 1812.
 
Caleb Pratt 
Obituary from Pontiac Jacksonian, June 13, 1843: 
"Departed this life on the 24th ult. 
Caleb Pratt, Esq., aged eighty-three years and seven months, at the residence of his son, Capt. John W. Pratt, Springfield, Oakland County, Michigan.
"Mr. Pratt was a soldier of the Revolution. 
He was a volunteer under the brave Stark at Bennington, and there fought shoulder to shoulder with his compatriots and contributed to the successful issue of that eventful day.
"The deceased in the course of his long and active life was frequently called by his fellow citizens to fill offices, both civil and military, and he discharged the duties thereof with honor to himself and satisfaction to the public."
 
Solomon Jones 
Solomon Jones came to Michigan in the fall of 1843 and first stopped in Springfield where his wife died. 
He lived five years afterward with his son, Jesse, in Groveland, and then went back to New York where he stayed some time and finally returned to Michigan and lived with Jesse until June 1865, when he died at the extreme age of one hundred and five years. 
He had served in the Revolutionary war, although but fifteen years old when called upon to bear arms. (Page 176 Oakland County History.) 
 Children: 
(I.) Daniel, came from Orwell, Rutland County, Vermont, in 1837, to Michigan.
(II.) Timothy, came to Michigan 1836, settled in Springfield and later went to Texas.
(III.) Jesse, b. in Essex County, X. Y., between Lake George and Lake Champlain, came to Michigan in 1838, located in Groveland, Oakland County, Michigan.
 
Lydia Barnes Potter 
General Richardson Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, learning of the services this loyal woman gave to her country, honored her grave with the official marker of the society, placed with appropriate services on the 19th of August, 1911, at the Baldwin cemetery, near Rochester, Michigan. 
Her granddaughter, Mrs. Abigail H. McArthur, makes the following affidavit:
"To all whom it may concern: My grandfather, Lemuel Potter, was a Revolutionary soldier. 
He enlisted at Hartford, Connecticut, in 1777, when the Continental army was organized. 
He had seen previous service in the militia companies. 
His officers were Col. Wyllys and Capt. Robert Warner. 
He was appointed a corporal, and with a corporal's guard was sent home to gather provisions and clothing for Washington's starving soldiers at Valley Forge. 
While engaged in this work he met Lydia Barnes, a young woman who was devoting her whole time and strength to the service of her country by making clothing for the soldiers at the front. 
She spun and wove the wool and cut and made the garments, learning the tailor's trade that she might the more expeditiously supply the soldier's needs. 
She worked so unremittingly at her task, standing continuously in a half bent position over her cutting table that she was never able to stand upright.
"When the young soldier, Lemuel Potter, returned to the front he had won the promise of Lydia Barnes to be his wife when the war was over. 
But owing to a ruling of congress that a married man could draw a year's rations they were married earlier in February 2, 1779.
 
"Lemuel Potter was in the engagement known as the Storming of Stony Point and by his bravery on that occasion won the praise of his commander. 
On another occasion he was presented with a cane by his major for meritorious conduct. 
Said cane is now in my possession. 
He served till the end of the war and was honorably discharged. 
His military record was obtained from the Pension department at Washington. D. C.
"Lemuel Potter died February 26, 1826, and is buried at Chili, N. Y. 
After his death his widow moved to Paint Creek, Oakland county, and became an inmate of the family of my parents, Needham and Marilla Hemingway (her daughter), till the time of her death, ten years later. 
She died in August, 1836, and is buried at Baldwin's cemetery, Paint Creek, Oakland County. 
At the time she was a member of my mother's family I was a young girl and testify of my own knowledge that the above facts are true as I heard them related by my grandmother, Lydia Potter, in my childhood.
 
"Abigail H. Mcarthur." 
"State of Michigan, County of Lapeer—
On this 19th day of August, 1911, personally appeared before me, a notary public in and for Lapeer County, Michigan, Abigail H. McArthur who being duly sworn deposes and says that the above is true to the best of her knowledge and belief.
"Wm. E. Mccormack, Notary Public."
 
James Harrington and Jacob Petty 
James Harrington's name appears as one of the earliest pioneers of this county, coming to Pontiac in 1820 or 21. 
He made the first purchase of land in the township of West Bloomfield on the 15th of May, 1823. 
He entered the entire section 36. 
He served in the Rhode Island troops as corporal in the Revolution. 
He died in Oakland county 1825, aged sixty-two. 
His wife was Martha Gould and his daughter Mary married Elias Gates.
 
Jacob Petty, of Independence, Oakland County, claimed to have belonged to Washington's bodyguard. 
His remains were removed from the farm where he died, to the cemetery at Sashabaw Plains, Oakland County. 
 
John Blanchard and Altramont Donaldson 
John Blanchard's name is given in the pensioner’s list of 1840, his residence is mentioned as White Lake, and his age as seventy-seven. 
The county records show that a John Blanchard of Farmington in 1834 deeded land to his daughter, Sophia Laqui, which in 1852 was sold by Sophia and Abraham Lakey to Ira F. Gage. 
In 1835 John Blanchard deeded eighty acres of land to his son David, whose wife was Sally. 
David owned the west one-half N. E. quarter section 17 and deeded same to Benjamin Sage in 1839. 
John Blanchard's former residence was Meredith, Delaware County, New York.
 
Altramont Donaldson, another soldier given in the pension list, was aged seventy-seven and resided at Holly in 1840. 
No further information can be given concerning him.
 
Joseph Van Netter 
Joseph Van Netter was the first Revolutionary veteran to file an application for pension in the Oakland county court. 
On the date of his sworn statement February 12, 1822, he was fifty-nine years old. 
He enlisted for one year, in April, 1775, in Captain Wendell's company of Colonel Wynkoop's regiment, in the line of the state (colony') of New York, Continental establishment, served till November, and then reenlisted for the war, in the same company and regiment, the latter then commanded by Colonel Van Schaick. 
He completed his term of service, being engaged with the enemy at the battles of Monmouth and Yorktown, and was honorably discharged. 
He filed an inventory of all of his worldly goods, which the court, Judge William Thompson presiding, valued at the munificent sum of nine dollars.
 
 Benjamin Bulson 
Benjamin Bulson filed his declaration for a pension July 21, 1823, at which date he was aged sixty-nine years. 
He enlisted in March, 1776, in a company of infantry on Long Island, commanded by Captain Thomas Mitchell and Lieutenant Cornell, in Colonel Van Courtlandt's regiment of General Putnam's brigade of New York troops. 
He served till August, 1776, when he was captured by our British cousins at Brooklyn, and sent to Halifax, having been wounded in the leg, from which wound he was, at the date of his declaration, still suffering, though nearly fifty years had elapsed since it was inflicted. 
He escaped from confinement at Halifax by digging out of the prison, and after lying in the woods for a long time, and almost starving to death, he arrived at Salem, Massachusetts, in September, 1779, and at once reenlisted as a hand on the ship "Julius Brutus," Captain John Brooks, carrying eighteen guns, which on its first cruise captured a British brig and to which Bulson was transferred as one of the prize crew. 
Soon after, the prize was retaken by the British sloop-of-war "Hornet." 
The prize was taken to New York, and Bulson confined in the old prison-ship "Jersey," in Waalabout (Brooklyn). 
At the end of two months he escaped from the prisonship by cutting off the rivets by which the iron bars which closed the port-holes were fastened, and swimming ashore. 
He was, however, the next day taken prisoner by Major Murray's Tories, called "The King's American Dragoons," and was sentenced to receive nine hundred lashes for escaping. 
He did receive four hundred and fifty on his bare back, the last half-hundred being given after he had fainted from pain and exhaustion. 
He was then taken to the hospital, where he remained just long enough for the recovery of his strength, when he again escaped, and arrived in Salem in 1781, early in that year. 
All of the time from his enlistment to his final escape he had been without pay, with the exception of two months' wages he had received. 
While on the prison-ship he changed his name on account of his Tory relatives on Long Island, who had threatened to kill him if they should get a chance. 
He therefore lost his individuality in the cognomen of Benjamin Smith, and had been known by that name ever since. 
His wife and himself were all the family he had, the former being sixty-five years old, and his invoiced property was valued at seventy-two dollars and sixty-two and a half cents, and included one wagon and the old soldier's walking-staff.
 
Nathan Landon 
Nathan Landon was the last of these Revolutionary soldiers to file a declaration in the Oakland courts for a pension, and he did so on the 13th of November, 1828, at which time he was seventy-one years old. 
He enlisted February 1, 1776, in Captain Archibald Shaw's company, Colonel William C. Maxwell's regiment of New Jersey troops, and served in the same until November 14, 1776, when the regiment was dismissed by General Gates, at Ticonderoga. 
Himself and his wife (seventy years old) lived with a son, Stephen, and his family, and the old people had no property save their wearing apparel and bedding.
 
General Richardson Chapter, D. A. R.
General Richardson Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, was organized in October, 1899, and received its charter from the National Society on February 17, 1900, engrossed with the following names: 
Mrs. Ada Louise Leggett Smith, regent; Mrs. Lillian Drake Avery, viceregent; Miss Mabel Thorpe, secretary; Mrs. Harriet Beach Lounsbury, corresponding secretary; Mrs. Josephine Brown Sanford.treasurer; Mrs. Marion Eliza Seymour Ten Eyck, registrar; and Miss Marcia Richardson, historian; Miss Mary Fitch Crofoot, Mrs. Grace G. Blakesley Thather, Mrs. Eliza Van Campen Birge, Mrs. Ann Loomis Richards Coleman, Miss Lucy Carpenter, Mrs. Kate Beach Gray, Mrs. Julia Talbot Smith, Mrs. Anne Robinson Vernon, and Mrs. Anne Ingoldsby Crawford.
The first work undertaken by this active, patriotic society was to collect and send boxes of books and magazines to the soldiers in the Philippines. 
It next endeavored to arouse an interest in American history by offering prizes to the Pontiac grammar and high schools for the best written essays on subjects selected from the Revolutionary period. 
These competitions proved very successful and were continued several years.
The society has responded liberally to the call for funds to build Memorial Continental Hall. 
It felt that in no better way could our forefathers be honored than by assisting in erecting this splendid edifice to their memory.
The Daughters meet once a month and aside from the regular business, have a program devoted to the study of historical or educational topics. 
The preservation of the early records of Oakland County is a work which the historical committee has recently taken up and much valuable genealogical material has already been collected. 
This is especially true of the families of the Revolutionary soldiers of the county, as it is their desire to have a record of all the descendants of these veterans.
They have a fine old mahogany bookcase which was formerly owned by Dr. Elliott, an early practitioner of Pontiac. 
It contains a set of Lineage Books published by the National Society and bound volumes of the American Monthly, the official D. A. R. magazine, beside a number of very old books and papers which have been donated to them. 
They also have been presented with a rare old map of the Provinces as they were in 1776, a spinning wheel and reel, and a silver buckle which was worn by a Revolutionary soldier.
To the generosity of Mr. Henry M. Warren of the P. S. H. they owe their famous collection of autographs of celebrities. 
For twenty-five years Mr. Warren collected these letters, cards and pictures of famous people, and when he presented them to the Daughters, they showed their appreciation of the gift by ordering a book made especially for their mounting which is now considered one of their most valued possessions. 
The registrar's book containing the lineage, biography and portrait of each member, will be when completed, greatly appreciated; the scrap book and historian's record are also prized by them more highly as the passing years prove their importance.
 In 1905 General Richardson Chapter entertained the state conference and it was one of the most successful meetings of the kind ever held. 
In this and in other social affairs, the chapter has won considerable prestige, but the work which they have most at heart and which has won them the reputation of being the "Banner Chapter" of the state, is their indefatigable labors in searching for and marking the graves of the Revolutionary soldiers who have been buried in the county. 
Each man's record of military service is found, date and place of birth, death and marriage are noted, the name of his wife and a list of his children is sought for, and often it takes years to complete a record. 
United States government, county, cemetery, church and private records have to be consulted, and even then the result is sometimes very meager.
 
The Revolutionary Graves Marked 
When the burial place of a soldier has been located and his record proven, the Daughters hold a memorial service at the grave, placing on it the official marker of the society and offerings of flowers. 
Nineteen graves have thus far been located as follows:
1. Elijah Drake, marked June 10, 1900, Royal Oak.
2. Ezra Parker, stone marked, Revolutionary soldier, Royal Oak.
3. Levi Green, marked June 14, 1906, North Farmington.
4. Stephen Mack, marked July 1, 1907, Pontiac.
5. Joseph Todd, marked July 1, 1907, Pontiac.
6. Ithamar Smith, marked July 1, 1907, Pontiac, with government stone.
7. Joshua Chamberlin, marked July 29, 1909, Pontiac.
8. William Nathan Terry, marked October 1, 1909, Pontiac.
9. James Bancker, marked October 28. 1907, Metamora.
10. Moses Porter, marked October 28, 1907, Farmer's Creek.
11. Caleb Merrill, marked September 17, 1908, Clarkston.
12. Jeremiah Clark, marked September 17, 1908, Clarkston.
13. George Horton, marked July 29, 1909, Rochester.
14. Nathaniel Baldwin, marked July 29, 1909, Rochester.
15. James Graham, marked June 2, 1911, Graham's cemetery, Avon.
16. Benjamin Grace, marked August 3, 1910, Clarenceville. *I7. Lydia Potter, marked Aug. 19, 1911, Baldwin cemetery.
18. Silas Sprague, marked July 19, 1912, Crooks cemetery, Troy.
19. Samuel Niles, marked July 19, 1912, Crooks cemetery, Troy.
 
* Lydia Potter did not bear a musket, but she served her country by working night and day to clothe the destitute soldiers at Valley Forge, and the Daughters thus honor her memory.
 
Tribute To General Richardson 
In June it is the custom of the Daughters to observe "Memorial Day," when their beautiful ritual service is read and the graves of their deceased members and the five Revolutionary soldiers buried in Oak Hill cemetery receive their floral offerings. 
At the services held 1907 Mrs. Ada L. Smith gave the following beautiful tribute: 
"As we decorate today the graves of our Revolutionary heroes, as we cast a flower and a tear upon the graves of the daughters of those heroes, we pause here at the grave of General Richardson. 
He fought in the Seminole war; he won honors in the Mexican war; he gave his life for his country in the Civil war. 
He attained by his bravery and ability the highest rank among Michigan's ninety thousand soldiers, that of major general. 
It is in memory of this that we place this wreath upon his grave and thus we pledge ourselves to teach our children and our grandchildren to love, to revere and to keep green the memory of Michigan's 'Fighting Dick,' Major General Israel B. Richardson."
 
Membership Of The Daughters 
The officers of the society are elected yearly, the office of regent being limited to two terms. 
The following ladies have held this highest office in the gift of the society for two years each: Mesdames Ada Leggett Smith, Lillian Drake Avery, Josephine Brown Sanford, Ada McConnell Wisner, Carrie Mack Newberry, and Maud Green Shattuck. 
The secretaries have been: Miss Mabel Thorpe, Mrs. Ada L. Smith, Misses Sarah G. Davis and Ella L. Smith, and Mrs. Mary Pierson Todd. 
The office of treasurer has been filled by Mrs. Josephine Brown Sanford, Kate Crawford Van Buskirk, Hattie Means Stowell, Charlotte Monroe Osmun and Mary Josephine Wiest Clark.
Registrars: Mesdames Marion Seymour Ten Eyck, Anne Ingoldsby Crawford and Lillian Drake Avery, who has held the office since 1905. 
Miss Marcia Richardson is the only historian the chapter has had.
The present membership of General Richardson Chapter is: 
Regent, Mrs. Kate Beach Gray; vice regent, Mrs. Anne Ingoldsby Crawford; secretary, Mrs. Lottie Stanton Blackstone; treasurer, Mrs. Jennie Chaffee Church; registrar, Mrs. Lillian Drake Avery, and historian, Miss Marcia Richardson; Mrs. Sophronia Means, Vinton, Iowa, real Daughter; Avery, Blanche (Miss), Avery, Lucile (Miss), Beach, Julia Taft (Mrs. Samuel E.), Bailey, Clara Voorheis (Mrs. Roy E.), Bradfield, Elizabeth Palmer (Mrs. Thomas Parks), Baker, Myra A. (Miss), Barnes, Edith (Miss), Barnes, Mae (Miss), Birge, Eliza Van Campen (Mrs. John W.), Canfield, Sarah Bishop (Mrs.), Carroll, Mary Thatcher (Mrs. Frank H.), Castell, Donna Sherman (Mrs. Daniel G.), Clark, Mary Josephine (Mrs.), Coleman, Ann Loomis Richards (Mrs. Harry), Crohn, Bertha Elizabeth Miller (Mrs. Solomon S.), Davis, Sarah Griswold (Mrs.), Eaton, Irma G. (Mrs.), Freeland, Anna Hadsell (Mrs. Orrin B.), Galbraith, Mary R. Wisner (Mrs. Stuart E.), Goss, Myra Voorheis (Mrs. Oscar B.), Goodison, Anne E. Barnes (Mrs. Samuel), Gross, Evangeline Grow (Mrs. George F.), Harper, Belle Robinson (Mrs. F. B.), Hinckley, Ada Green (Mrs. Milton L.), Hollister, Metta Hosner (Mrs. J. F. C.), Howlett, Mary Rockwell (Mrs. Edward V.), Jackson, Emma Warn (Mrs. Henry C.), Kuttler, Emma Belle (Mrs. George E.), Lounsbury, Elizabeth S. (Miss), Mackin, Edith C. Cook (Mrs. Jas. N.), Marsh, Alice (Miss), Merritt, Edith Kelley (Mrs. Herbert B.), Morgans, Mary Cole (Mrs. William H.), Newberry, Carrie Mack (Mrs. Arthur F.), Northrup, Grace (Miss), Osmun, Charlotte Monroe (Mrs. Homer J.), Parker, Sarah Electa Drake (Mrs. Ralzamond A.), Palmer, Louise Thayer (Mrs. C. A.), Palmer, Virena Marjorie (Miss), Patterson, Ella Stanton (Mrs. John H.), Randall, Anna Leggett (Mrs. Chas. C), Rockwell, Alma (Miss), Rockwell, Maude King (Mrs. Kleber P.), Sanford, Josephine Brown (Mrs. William C), Shattuck,. Maude Green (Mrs. Charles), Shattuck, Alice (Miss), Smith, Clara Phelps (Mrs. Walter), Smith, Alice Hadsell (Mrs. Tracy S.), Smith, Ella Louise (Miss), Stoddard, Emma Waite (Mrs. Addison), Stowell, Hattie E. Means (Mrs. Elmer H.), Stanton, Harriet Stanton (Mrs. Lovett), TenEyck, Carrie Willits (Mrs. Harry), Thompson, Margaret S. (Miss), Tobias, Ella Bartlett (Mrs. Louis C), Todd, Mary A. Pierson (Mrs. William F.), Urch, Alice Hart (Mrs. Edward A.), Van Campen, Addie Bartlett (Mrs. George), Van Buskirk, Kate Louise Crawford (Mrs. Charles), Walters, Frances Fleming (Mrs. Albert E.), Watson, Inez Waite (Mrs. Charles), Welch, Mary Gilbert (Mrs. A. R.), Whetmath, Maude W. (Miss), Willcox, M. Eleanor (Mrs. Elliott R.), Wilder, Gertrude L. Barnes (Mrs. Gardner), Wiest, E. E. (Mrs. Jacob), Willits, Sarah Adell Monroe (Mrs. Frank), Wilson, Mille (Dr.), Wisner, Ada McConnell (Mrs. Henry C), Wisner, Marguerite Park (Miss), Woodruff, Helen Madeline Peck (Mrs. CD.).