INDIAN BATTLES - Lyons Township Ionia Michigan
 
In section 20, Lyons township, where the Grand River makes a big bend from a north to a southwest direction, was fought a big Indian battle, probably about 1785. 
 
A tribe of Pottawatomie Indians on the Arthurburg Hill just west of Muir built earthworks for defense, on which trees in 1901 were growing eighteen inches thick. 
 
Chippewa Indians, thirty miles up Maple river, planned to attack those at Arthurburg Hill in conjunction with the Menominee Indians on Grand River, near Lansing.
 
The purpose was to take the stronghold and also the fields of cleared land in the valleys at the junction of Grand and Maple Rivers, on which good crops were then growing. 
 
The fast-flowing current of Grand River brought the Menominees a day ahead of the others. 
 
The Pottawatomies, who had been fully informed by runners, of the proposed attack, met them at the bend of the river east of Lyons, where the Le Tandre farm is now, and defeated the invaders. 
 
The next day they met the other attackers up the Maple River and likewise defeated them. 
 
Hundreds of skulls and skeletons have been dug up where they fought. 
 
On the south side of the bend was a plat of ground reserved by the Indians for their annual "green corn dance" and they had about four acres of corn growing there. 
 
At the time of their dance, all arms and ammunition were deposited with the chief, in order to prevent their killing each other when full of liquor. 
 
They kept up these dances for ten or fifteen years after the white settlers came to this locality.