The Village of Reed City is in the southwestern portion of Osceola County, at the junction of the Pere Marquette and Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroads, it is also 4 miles west of Hersey, the county seat. It is also finely located on the Hersey River, a stream noted for its trout and grayling, as well as for its excellent water power. The natural advantages of its location and the business judgment of its founders and promoters have made Reed City one of the best interior towns of Northern Michigan. It was incorporated in 1872. Although the village has a number of manufactories, its most extensive are those devoted to maple flooring, the plant operated by William Horner being one of the largest in the state. The Babcock Grain Company has an elevator and mills, and does a large portion of the shipping trade in grain, flour and hay. Another plant worthy of special mention is the Reed City Woolen Mills, established in 1883, and although they are not extensive they are among the very few manufactories of their kind in northern Michigan. Identified with the industries of the village are also a saw and planing mill, foundry and machine shop.

Two substantial banks make Reed City a financial center for quite a stretch of country -- the First National, capitalized at $50,000, with J. W. Parkhurst as president and L. G. Hammond as cashier, and the Commercial Savings Bank, capital $25,000, President Joseph Gerber and cashier, Henry Gerber.

The village has a thorough system of electric lighting and water supply. The existing plant of the Reed City Light and Power Company was built in 1910 by an organization of business men, not incorporated, of which George D. Westover, of Cadillac is president. It is the second plant of the kind and is a credit to its originators and builders.

Reed City has also a most credible Union school whose average attendance is 400 -- 80 in the High school, 150 in the grammar grades and 170 in the primary.

The village has also the good name of being a strong church town, the Lutherans being especially active and influential. They have two organizations. The Methodists have three churches, attended by the English, German and Swedish elements. Besides the Baptist, Catholics, and Mennonites are represented by societies which are active and growing. So that Reed City should be a good village both in which to live and in which to die.

Image of Reed City, Michigan in 1910
Written by Perry F. Powers in 1912 in the book "A History of Northern Michigan".