Charles J. Cutler was born in New York in March, 1840.

He is the son of John and Christina Cutler.

When he was 11 years of age his parents settled in Paris Township,  and two years after in Gaines on 320 acres, sec. 6, which his father bought before leaving New York, and of which he still retains 44 acres.

Some has been sold, but the greater partitas been distributed among his children.

On reaching his majority, Mr. Cutler of this sketch spent two years traveling in the State in various employments.

In 1870 he bought 40 acres of land in Paris, where he resided two years.

He owned successively several other farms, and finally located where he now resides, on sec. 36; he has 74 acres with 35 under culture.

He was married in 1862 in Jackson County, to Mrs. Frances A. Putnam, widow of Henry Putnam and daughter of William and Amanda Solomon, born in New York in 1835.

Mr. Cutler enlisted in 1861 in Grand Rapids in Company E, 3d Michigan Infantry, and was discharged on account of disability.

He again enlisted in 1865 in Company E, 9th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Veterans, and served nine months.

 

Hiram P. Edwards, eldest son of John and Rhoda A. Edwards, was born in New York, in 1830.

When five years old his parents went to Ashtabula County, Ohio , and two years after to Cuyahoga County, where Mr. Edwards remained 28 years.

He served an apprenticeship of three years as carpenter and joiner, and continued to follow that calling while in Ohio.

In 1854 he prospected a short time in Michigan, returning to Ohio.

In 1856 he was married in Byron, to Eunice, daughter of Amaziah and Elizabeth Wedgewood, born in Maine in 1835.

They have three children:—Helen, Francis O., and Oliva E.

In March, 1864, Mr. Edwards bought 120 acres on sees. 10 and 15, and now has 55 acres on sec. 27, with 35 under cultivation.

He served nine months in the war for the Union, enlisting at Grand Rapids, Feb. 14, 1865, in Company C, 10th Michigan Cavalry, Capt Light.

He was discharged at Memphis, Tenn.

 

John T. Emmons, eldest son of Andrew and Sarah (Kelley) Emmons, was born in New York in Jan., 1817.

He was reared on a farm and was married in 1840 to Mary A., daughter of James and Esther (Wright) Watson, born in Feb., 1817.

They have four children: Nichol D., Andrew, Esther A., and John H. Mr. Emmons came to Michigan in the fall of 1843 and the {following year took possession of 80 acres of wild land, sec. 34, given him by his father.

He was one of the earliest settlers in the tp., and cleared four acres by hand-labor, having no team for some time.

He has 68 acres under improvement.

Mr. Emmons belongs to a loyal and patriotic race.

His grandfather was a soldier of the Revolution under General Sullivan, and fought at the battle of Trenton.

His father, Andrew Emmons, was a soldier of 1812 in the second conflict with Great Britain; taken prisoner at Queenstown and sent home on parole.

James W., son of J. T. Emmons, was 21 years old when he enlisted on 8/28/1862 at Grand Rapids as a private into Company B, 21st Michigan Infantry, under Capt. Cavanaugh.

James died of disease on 2/26/1863 in the hospital at Nashville, Tenn., in Dec, 1862.

James is buried in the Nashville National Cemetery, Nashville, TN

 

Louis O. Ferrand, son of J. P. and Catherine A. Ferrand, was born in Erie County, N. Y, in 1840.

He commenced an apprenticeship as blacksmith at 18 years of age, and served three years.

He worked at his trade until he enlisted at 21 years of age, in Albany, N. Y., in Company A, 44th New York Volunteers.

The regiment better known as “Ellsworth’s Avengers."

He served three and one-half years, and was in a number of engagements—the battle of the Wilderness, Gettysburg, Pittsburg, Mine Run, etc., about 50 in number.

He was wounded 6/23/1864 Petersburg, VA

He was wounded in the head by buckshot at Gettysburg and in the knee and hand at the Weldon Railroad battle, and he has since been crippled.

In 1865, he came to Grand Rapids, and took a course of mathematical and commercial instruction, at the school of Prof. Everett.

Lewis Ferrand was 21 years old.

He was married in Grand Rapids, in 1867, to Sarah E., daughter of James and Susan Sawyer, born in Grand Rapids in 1843.

They have one child: Herbert L., born in Wyoming. Nov. 11, 1878.

James Fonger (deceased), was a native of New Jersey, born Feb. 19, 1794.

His parents removed to Lancaster, Canada, when he was an infant, and he remained a resident of that place until he was 46 years of age.

He was married in Lancaster, in 1820, to Deborah, daughter of James and Hannah (Salter) Cronk, born in 1802, in Seneca County, N. Y.

They had five children, all of whom are deceased. Mr. Fonger settled in this tp. in 1841, where he bought 80 acres of land, which is now all under cultivation.

He died in Wyoming, April 19, 1880. Mrs. Fonger's father was a soldier of the Revolution, under Washington.

 

Orin W. Griffith, son of Eli and Julia A. Griffith, was born in New York in October, 1838.

About three years after, his parents bought 80 acres of land in Monterey, Allegan County, Mich., where they remained thirteen years.

They then moved to Jamestown, Ottawa County, and stayed 18 years.

In 1861, at the age of 23, Mr. Griffith enlisted at Grand Rapids in Company F, 14th Michigan Infantry Volunteers.

He served three years and eight months and veteranized in 1864.

He was in the battle of Bentonville, and participated in several skirmishes.

He was discharged at Detroit, and engaged in farming in Jamestown, where, he bought 50 acres on sec. 11; cleared 25 acres, and sold the place in 1871 to settle in Van Buren County, where he remained three years and bought 48 acres on sec. 16 with 30 acres under cultivation.

Orrin W. Griffith died 9/5/1897.

He was married in 1860 in Wayland to Lee Leseur, born in Pennsylvania in 1838.

They have two children: Bernice M. and Agnes F.

 

Cyrus C. Hildreth was born in Chesterfield, N. H., November 1, 1820.

At 20 years of age he went to the city of New York and engaged as millwright and house carpenter three years.

He worked at cabinet making in Worcester, Mass., and at car-building one year, going thence to Maine, where he worked at his trade six years.

In 1857 he settled in Grandville and bought 38 acres §of land, sec. 31, which he exchanged for a house and four lots where he now lives, in the village of Grandville.

He is engaged in business as an undertaker and owns two lots in Grand Rapids.

He was married in Maine to Betsey L., daughter of Capt. David and Betsey (Lovejoy) Sturgess.

Mr. H. has a son, William H, by a previous marriage.

Himself and son enlisted at Grand Rapids in Company C, 10th Michigan Cavalry, Captain Thomas.

He was in the service nine months; his son served three years, was wounded in the knee, was discharged and came home and recovered and re-enlisted.

Cyrus C. Hildreth was 44 years old at enlistment.

Son William H. Hildreth, died of disease on 6/24/1864 at Camp Burnside, KY and is buried at Mill Springs National Cemetery, Nancy, KY Gravesite: D-170

Mrs. Sturgess has eight children by a former marriage, Sumner H., Maria H., Martha W., Mary T., Joseph H., Viola D., Vilena S. and Georgia H.

 

Henry H. Marsten, son of Ephraim G. and Nancy L. (Hastings) Marsten, was born in Orleans County, N. Y., in 1840.

He was married in December, 1875, to Sarah J., daughter of the Rev. George Bridgeman, a native of Greece, Monroe County, New York, born in 1846.

They have two children, born in Wyoming, as follows:

Ira B., Jan. 17, 1879; and Henry H., April 12, 1881.

In 1875, Mr. Marsten, bought 60 acres of land on sections 19 and 30, and soon after 40 acres adjoining, of which 50 acres are under improvement.

He is connected with the Odd Fellows, the Good Templars, and the Grange, and is a member of the M.E. Church.

Mrs. Marsten is connected with the Episcopal Church.

Mr. Marsten enlisted four times during the war for the Union at Medina, and the fourth time was accepted (October, 1865).

He was in the service nearly nine months.

 

Marcus II. McCoy was born in Richfield, Summit Co., O., April 23, 1838.

His father, Matthew McCoy, was born in the same county, July 4, 1800, of Scotch ancestry.

His mother was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., April 18, 1797.

Mr. McCoy settled in Georgetown, Ottawa Co., in the fall of 1856, where he lived until his enlistment, at Grand Rapids, Sept. 12, 1861.

He served two years in Company C, 2d Michigan Cavalry, Capt. R. A. Alger, in the Army of the Cumberland.

He re-enlisted Sept. 12, 1864, at Cleveland, O., in Company H, 177th Ohio Infantry, and was mustered out at the close of the war.

He returned to Grandville, Mich., and commenced the furniture business.

He sold a half interest, two years later, to Nicholas Shoemaker, who bought out the whole four years after, and Mr. McCoy opened a stock of general merchandise in the central part of the village.

In a short time he sold a half of his business to H. W. Davis of Grand Rapids, and two years later became again sole proprietor.

In the fall of 1879, he put up a building 50x38 feet, near the post-office, on the corner of State and Green streets, where he is doing an annual business of $25,000.

He was married in Schoolcraft, Kalamazoo Co., April 15, 1873, to Ida, daughter of John W. and Mary A. (Turner) Carman, born in Schoolcraft Sept. 1. 1856.

They have one child: Lloyd V., born at Grandville, June 29, 1877.

Mr. McCoy has been tp. Clerk two years, Treasurer three years, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Grange.

Sarah A. McEwan, daughter of Reuben and Sarah (Freeman) Peake, was born in New York, April 14, 1809.

She was married in 1831 to John McEwan, a native of Scotland, born in 1796.

He died in 1856, leaving eight children:  Sarah, Olivia, John, James, Gertrude, William, Charles and Dora.

In 1855 they bought 274 acres of land in this tp., which has been divided among the children, Mrs. McEwan having 40 acres, with 20 under culture.

Mr. McEwan wa3 a member of the Baptist Church, to which Mrs. McEwan also belongs.

In 1862 William McEwan, while attending school at Grand Rapids with his brother, enlisted in the 3d Michigan Infantry, and was in the army nearly three years.

He was but 18 years of age and enlisted without his mother's knowledge; was wounded in the battle of the Wilderness by a blow from a falling limb torn from a tree by a shell, and was several weeks in the hospital.

 

Myron Roys, fourth son of Lent and Mary (Holmes) Roys, was born in Sheffield, Berkshire Co., Mass., Dec. 1, 1S08.

His father was a tanner, and had seven sons and five daughters.

As the children grew large enough they were hired to neighboring farmers until of age.

On reaching majority, Myron Roys went into the world to help himself, and in 1833 came to Grandville, and in December of the same year located the farm he now owns—80 acres.

He then went to St. Joseph County, where his brother had located one year previously, returning in February.

He built a small log house, and managed his own domestic affairs while clearing his land.

May 2, 1841, he was married to Ann, daughter of James and Jane (Marshall) McCray, born in Ireland in 1820.

Their six children were born in Wyoming—James, Mary J., Holmes, Letitia, Frank P. and George M. Mr. Roys have held various offices of trust, such as Supervisor, Treasurer and Constable.

He is a member of the Grange and of the “Old Settlers” Association.

James and Holmes, two eldest sons, enlisted in the war for the Union at Grand Rapids, in the 10th Michigan Cavalry.

Mr. Roys has had 460 acres of land which he has divided among his children, with the reservation of 165 acres of improved land for himself.

James Roys, eldest son of the above, was born in 1843 and has always resided in this township.

He was married in 1870 to Mary E. Blake, born in Farmington in December, 1847.

Their three children were born in Wyoming as follows-Fred B., Sept. 81, 1871, Abbie E., Feb. 6, 1879, and Frank M., April 23, 1876 (died Aug. 17, 1876).

Mr. Roys enlisted in the war of the Rebellion Feb. 14, 1865, at Grand Rapids.

He served ten months in Company D, 10th Michigan Cavalry, under Capt. Stevenson, and was discharged same year, November 22, at Memphis.

He owns a farm of 90 acres on sees. 9 and 4—40 acres improved.

 

Daniel E. Stoneburner, sixth son of Leonard and Maria (Goss) Stoneburner, was  born March 7, 1842, in Grandville.

In 1863 he enlisted at Grand Rapids in Company H, 10th Michigan Cavalry, Capt. Cook, and served until the close of the war.

He was married in Paris to Alice, daughter of Josiah and Amanda (Horton) Kilburn, born in Ohio in 1845.

The record of their children is as follows;

Ray E. born May 25, 1861; May E., born June 18, 1863, and died in August, 1864; Sara M., born May 1, 1867.

Mr. S. lost his wife and was married again March 16, 1870, to Harriet, daughter of Ira Miller, born in Pennsylvania in 1846.

 

Electus B. Ward, The only son of James N. and Mary 1. (Backus) Ward, waft born on Governor's Island, N. Y. Harbor, Dec. 25, 1856.

The name of Ward has been illustrious for many centuries.

When William the Conqueror invaded England in 1066, he was accompanied by 710 "noble captains," each bearing but one name, whose records have all been preserved, and among them is mentioned 44 Ward."

Andrew Henshaw Ward, A. M., member of the New England Historic and Genealogical Society, has traced the lineage to which Mr. Ward of this sketch belongs, approximately to 1600.

His work has been so carefully compiled as to leave little doubt of a clear line of descent from the noble captain with a single name to William the "freeman" of Sudbury, Mass.

The direct ancestral line is as follows: William, 1600 (ap.); John, 1636 (ap.): Joseph, 1677; Nathan, 1721; Daniel, 1764; Charles, 1796; James N., 1824; and Electus B., 1856, a long line of military men with records.

The latter is a descendant, on the maternal side, from Hugh Brady, Brevet Major General of the IT. S. Army. Gen. Brady was born July 29, 1768.

His father and brother were involved in the struggle for American independence, and both lost their lives on the Pennsylvania frontiers, where they were on duty, under orders from Gen. Washington.

Gen. Brady was but 11 years old when his father died, but was acquainted with all the sickening terrors of frontier life.

His autobiography is in the hands of his descendants, and is, emphatically, a remarkable paper, preserved; it is hoped, among the State annals.

He says therein, Many a day have I walked by the side of my brother John while he was plowing and carried my rifle in one hand, and a forked stick in the other to clear the plowshare."

Up to the period of his appointment as Ensign in Wayne's army, he was connected with the warfare between the settlers and Indians.

He did duty as a recruiting officer for the regular service, and prior to the war of 1812 experienced but few years of private life.

He was ordered into service in the second conflict with Great Britain, and his prowess at Bridgewater or Lundy's Lane is commemorated in the written history of our country.

He died at Detroit April 15, 1851.

His daughter, Mary L., married Col. E. Backus, 3d U. S. Infantry, Regular army, a graduate of West Point, and an aid on her father's staff while commandant of the Army of the Northwestern States and Territories, and was afterward empowered U. S. Commissioner, to effect a treaty with the Fox Indians when they were removed from their reservation.

He was in the 'Mexican war, in active service, where, also, Capt. James N. Ward, an officer on Col. Backus' staff, distinguished himself, and afterward rendered valuable service to the Government in the settlement of New Mexico.

James Noble Ward, eldest son and third child of Charles and Catherine T. (Lindsey) Ward, was born in 1824.

He graduated at West Point, and was married in 1855, on Governor’s Island, to Marv E. Backus.

He settled in Detroit in 1858, and a gunshot wound, received in the Mexican war, proving obstinate, he went to St. Anthony's Falls, Minn., to recuperate, but in vain, and died Dec. 12, 1858.

He was buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Detroit.

In 1860 Col. Backus went to Mexico and Texas, accompanied by his wife, daughter, and grandson, E. B. Ward.

They returned in 1861, and the following year Col. Backus died in Detroit (July, 1862).

Mrs, Ward died March 11,1866, in the same city.

The next year he spent in the South, with his grandmother.

He attended the Patterson Grammar School six years.

During the years 1870 and 1871 he was at Nyack, on the Hudson, and learned practical printing.

He returned to Detroit in 1872, and the summer of 1873 he spent in Europe.

Returning once more to Detroit, he took a collegiate course of study with Prof. I. M. Wellington as tutor, and fitted for civil engineer.

He was married in Detroit Dec. 26, to Mary L., daughter of Samuel G. and Mary M. (Holcomb) Armor.

He studied medicine a year with his father-in-law, Prof; Armor, A. M., M. D., LL. D, and following his marriage, he went to Brooklyn, to enter upon a systematic course of study.

He continued two years at Long Island Medical College, and graduated in the summer of 1878, practicing in Brooklyn and Detroit two years.

In the spring of 1881 he came to Wyoming tp., and established himself on his patrimonial estate of 280 acres, known as Clyde Park.

He has expended $12,000 on his residence and the Improvements of the grounds.

As speedily as possible he is converting a Michigan wilderness into a fruit and stock farm.

He is making specialties of the celebrated imported Scotch horses known as Clydesdales, and owns the famous stallion "Perfection" (S. S. B.), at the head of eight pure bloods of the same stock.

He also owns three head of imported Holstein cattle, recorded Ingomar, Mabel, and Duke of Kent. Mr. and Mrs. Ward have two children: Hugh A., born in Brooklyn, N. Y., Oct. 16,1877; and ., born at Detroit Jan. 38,1879.

Albert m Weston, M. D., eldest son of Henry and Celinda (Wilson) Weston, was born in Watertown, Clinton Co., Jan. 80, 1843.

In 1849 his parents went to Lenawee County, remaining until 1845, returning to Clinton County.

At 18 Dr. Weston went to Dansville, Ingham County, and entered the office of his uncle, D. T. Weston, M. D., and read medicine several years.

He took one term at Ann Arbor in 1861, and graduated at Detroit Medical College.

He has been engaged in the practice of his profession ever since at Grandville.

He enlisted at Maple Rapids, Clinton Co., in Company B, 7th Michigan Cavalry, Capt. L. F. Warner, reenlisted in October, 1862, and was discharged in December, 1865.

He was in 43 engagements and skirmishes during the period of 38 months.

He was married in Lansing, April 11, 1866, to Martha M., daughter of John Shafer, born in New York, in i842. Mr. Shafer is one of the pioneers of Paris tp.

Dr. and Mrs. Weston have two children:  Maurice L., born in Ingham County, Dec. 28,1866, and Fay A., born in Grandville, Nov. 20,1868.

The Weston residence is on the quarter line road on the edge of the town where the Doctor has 140 acres of land.

He also owns 160 acres in Lake County.

He belongs to the Masons and Odd Fellows.

 

Horace Wilder was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in 1816.

He is a pioneer in the county; came to Grandville in 1838.

He learned the business of a moulder in a foundry and worked at his trade after reaching Michigan; did the first moulding on the Grand River.

He was married in Onondaga County to Cornelia M. Lindley, born in Seneca County, N. Y.

They have one child—Marion, born in 1842—a millwright and mechanic.

Mr. Wilder and his son both enlisted at Grand Rapids in Company C, 1st Regular Michigan Engineers and Mechanics, and served in the Army of the Cumberland three years and three months; the former rose to the rank of Corporal, the latter to that of Sergeant-Major.

Mr. Wilder owns a residence and five acres of land in the Western Addition, also a mill for working in wood; does some work in iron and all varieties of custom work.