Among the various divisions of the county, there is not one which presents a truer idea of progress than Walker.

Its population of 1,876 persons may be said to be exceptionally prosperous at the present time, while the ever-growing city on its borders promises a continuance, if not an actual advance, of this condition.

EARLY SETTLERS OF WALKER, MICHIGAN.

The first settler of Walker was Samuel White, who, with his family, settled on section 23, in 1836.

He erected the first log house within the township, built the first frame barn, and erected the second saw-mill on Indian creek, on the north side of section 15.

The earliest inhabitants of what was organized as Walker township in 1838, were among the early settlers of the city of Grand Rapids, and for the first few years had one voting precinct, one common township, with its headquarters in the village, Division street being the eastern boundary of what was afterward known as Walker township.

Of those settling outside the city limits were Samuel White and a numerous family, in the year 1836.

In the same year came Jesse Smith and family, John J. Nardin and family and Robert Hilton and Zelotes Bemis.

Among the other early settlers were John Hogadone, Joseph Denton, Wm. W. Anderson, John Harrington, Henry Helmka, Harvey Monroe, Patrick and Stephen O'Brien, James Murray, Lovell Moore, Isaac Turner, Harry Eaton, Josiah Burton, and several others.

In the fall of 1836, Jesse Smith, settled on Bridge Street, about two miles west of the river.

He had a large family of sons and daughters, some of whom were married, and who settled in different parts of the township.

One of the elder sons, Benjamin, commenced at an early day on the south side of section 10, where he built a small grist-mill and machine shop on Indian creek.

During the same year a Frenchman named John J. Nardin, who had served in the French army under Napoleon I., came from Detroit with a large family and settled in the southern part of the township, west of the location of the Eagle Plaster Mills.

The following named persons settled in the township soon after those just mentioned: Henry Helmka, Wm. W. Anderson, Joseph Denton, John Hogadone, and Harvey Monroe, from Canada; John Harrington, of Vermont; and Patrick O'Brien, Stephen O'Brien and James Murray, from Ireland.

The family of Edisons also came at an early day, and settled on what is now Bridge Street.

PHYSICAL FEATURES.

Walker Township has undergone the same changes to which other parts of the State were subjected during the great drainage period.

Deep ravines were cut, forming island hillocks, and those in turn were filled up, while new channels were brought into existence.

For this reason the soil of Walker is strangely diversified.

On the east and south, along Grand River, is a tract of low land, from 80 rods to a mile in width, extending from the northeast to the southwest corner of the township, which is underlaid with a stratum of limestone, lying from two to 10 feet below the surface.

Above this is a gravelly loam, which in some parts is filled and covered with large boulders.

Back of this is a series of hills and sandy bluffs, rising to a height of 50 or 60 feet.

The sandy belt also extends diagonally across the township from northeast to northwest, and-varies in width from one-half to two miles.

The original timber of the former was elm, black oak, soft maple, hemlock, cedar, etc., and of the latter, pine and oak.

We next come to what is commonly called timber land; the timber being chiefly beech and sugar maple, with considerable valuable oak interspersed through some portions.

This timbered land extends throughout the remainder of Walker, and northwest into the adjoining townships of Ottawa County.

The soil of the northwestern portion is chiefly clay, with some small parcels of rich, black, sandy loam. The face of the country is gently undulating, with but few hills and swamps.

Walker is as thickly settled as any township which contains no village.

The southeasterly part is mostly divided into small lots, containing from five to 40 acres, which are usually devoted to market gardening and fruit-growing.

The westerly and northwesterly part is devoted principally to farming purposes.

Peaches, apples and other kinds of fruit are raised in abundance on the sandy belt, and on most parts of the clay land.

The low lands along the river produce good crops of grass and grain.

The greatest elevation in the township is the high rolling swell of land extending from section 32, in the southwest, passing through the central part, broken by Brandy Creek near the Dunnett Homestead, continuing northward on the west of Indian creek, and afterward crossing the line into Alpine.

On the highest part of this ridge, near the center of section nine, is a lake covering about four acres, situated in the middle of a swamp of about 20 acres.

This lake is about 100 feet above the level of Grand River, and has no visible outlet.

Poles run down 60 feet without striking solid bottom.

Of the streams in Walker, Indian creek, formerly known as Indian Mill creek, is the most important.

It derives its name from a mill which was erected near its mouth by the Indians in 1834.

The site of this mill was near the present junction of the Detroit & Milwaukee with the Grand Rapids & Indiana railroad, on section 13.

The source of the stream is in Alpine.

It enters Walker from the north, near the present location of the Indian Creek post office, and passes through sections 10, 15, 14, and 13, and unites with Grand River near the D. & M. railroad bridge.

There was once considerable pine along its banks, and during the first 10 years of the early settlement of the township, five saw-mills were erected.

In the year 1850, three of them remained.

In 1870 only one remained.

Brandy creek, which is a branch of Indian creek, rises on section 16, and flowing northeasterly, enters the latter on the south side of section 10.

Black Skin creek, so called after an Indian chief of that name, rises in the southern part of the original township, and, flowing south alongside the planting ground before mentioned, enters Grand river on the south side of section 5.

Sand creek flows through the northwesterly part of the township, and passes out into Ottawa County on the west.

These and many smaller streams are found in the township.

MANUFACTURING ESTABLISHMENTS.

In the year 1845 Joseph Bullen erected a saw-mill on the eastern part of section four.

It ran by an overshot water-wheel, the water being conveyed from the pond on Indian creek, near the residence of Solomon Wright, in Alpine, a distance of nearly 90 rods.

The mill possessed the facilities for sawing 1,000,000 feet of lumber per year.

The mill also contained one run of millstones for grinding "feed," etc.

The plaster-mills and quarries on section 34, two and one-half miles below Bridge Street, in the side of the bluff near the river, are on the east part of section 34.

Plaster was first discovered here by R. E. Butterworth, of Grand Rapids, who then owned the land.

He opened the first quarry in the year 1852, which was operated under the superintendence of Bernard Courtney.

This is the mine now known as “Plaster Cave," or “Hovey's Cave."

The Harrison wagon factory, noticed in the city history, is the most important industrial concern in the township.

LAND-PURCHASERS.

Among the number of those who patented the lands of Walker, the following names appear:

Savoy R. Beals,  section 1, May 29, 1835.

Wm. A. Richmond, sec. 1, Aug. 13,

Samuel Weeden, sec. 12, Aug. 1, 1839. 1839.

G. P. Hogadone, sec. 15, Aug. 13, 1839.

Tobias Parmelee, sec. 1, Aug. 13, 1839.

Joseph Denton, sec. 21, Aug. 13, 1839.

Charles Knapp, sec. 1, Aug. 13, 1839.

L. Campau, jr., sec. 25, Sept. 19, 1831.

Joseph Omlor, sec. 2, July 31, 1839.

E. P. Hastings, sec. 25, Sept. 25, 1832.

Solomon Wright, sec. 2, Aug. 14, 1839.

H. Z. Ellsworth, sec. 25, Sept. 25 1832.

W. Hunt, sec. 2, Aug. 14, 1839.

A. Hilton, sec. 28, Aug. 2, 1839.

John Dohm, sec. 3, July 30, 1889.

Thales Dean, sec. 28, Aug. 13, 1839.

Peter Huwer, sec. 3, July 31, 1889.

James Murray, sec. 29, Sept. 28, 1839.

John Dowhie, sec. 3, Aug. 13, 1839.

C. R. Hurlburt, sec. 34, June 28, 1834,

J. E. Buckley, sec. 4, July 15, 1839.

H. S. Walbridge, sec. 4, Aug. 13, 1839.

John Loson, sec. 4, Aug. 14, 1839.

Erastus Clark, sec. 5, Aug. 14, 1839.

Minerva Tryon, sec. 6, Aug. 15, 1839.

David Smith, sec. 9, Aug. 13, 1839.

Isaac Smith, sec. 9, Aug. 13, 1839.

John J. Ellis, sec. 9, Aug. 13, 1839.

John McIntosh, sec. 9, Aug. 20, 1839.

Benj. Smith, sec. 10, Aug. 13, 1839.

Loton Simmons, sec. 10, Aug. 13, 1839.

Samuel White, sec. 10, Aug. 13, 1839.

Moses Edison, sec. 10, Aug. 20, 1839.

W. F. Mills sec. 11, Aug. 19, 1839.

Joseph Wait, sec. 11, Nov. 8, 1839.

D. W. Coit, sec. 12, Sept. 13, 1839.

S. H. Yates, sec. 12, Aug. 13, 1839.

Milo White, sec. 15, Aug. 13, 1839.

R. Bagley, sec. 15, Aug. 13, 1889.

Jacob Rhodes, sec. 15, Aug. 13, 1839.

D. Freeman, sec. 36, July 14, 1834.

Geo. Weaver, sec. 21, Aug. 13, 1839.

John Fish, sec. 21, Aug. 13, 1839.

D. C. Stocking, sec. 21, Aug. 13, 1839.

C. J. Walker, sec. 21, Aug. 15, 1839.

Abraham Welles, sec. 21, Oct. 17, 1839.

Jesse Smith, sec. 22, July 12, 1839.

Lemuel Smith, sec. 22, July 12, 1839.

Jacob Schneider, sec. 22, Aug. 2, 1839.

Wm. Anderson, sec. 22, Aug. 13, 1839.

Lucius Lyon, sec. 24, Sept. 25, 1839.

Richard Godfroy, sec. 25, Aug. 3, 1839.

Asa Pratt, sec. 27, July 30, 1839.

Geo. M. Miles, sec. 27, Aug. 19, 1839.

A. Powers, sec. 27, Oct. 7, 1839.

A. B. Russell, sec. 28, Aug. 13, 1839.

T. H. Cassell, sec. 31, Aug. 13, 1839.

Thomas McMahan, sec. 32, July 31, 1839.

D. T. Norton, sec. 34, Aug. 13, 1839.

John Dodge, sec. 35, Jan. 22, 1835.

Josiah Burton, sec. 36, Aug. 1, 1833.

N. E. King, sec. 36, June 20, 1834.

Lewis Freeman, sec. 36, July 14, 183

ORGANIC.

The first town meeting resulted in the selection of the following as first officers of Walker township, April, 1838: Supervisor, Lovell Moore; Clerk, Isaac Turner; Treasurer, Harry Eaton; Justices, Rober Hilton, Isaac Turner, Ira Jones and Josiah Burton.

Walker, as first organized, included Alpine, which, however, contained but few families for several years, but became an independent township in 1847.

The meeting was held at the Baptist Mission school-house, and each annual meeting was held there until the erection of the first district log school-house on the north side of section 22, in 1842.

In 1845 the place of meeting was changed to Simond's schoolhouse, and subsequently to Walker Center, where the annual meeting was held until the erection of the present Town Hall, on the north side of section 22, in 1867.

In the following list the names of the principal township officers, from the date of organization down to the present time, are given:

SUPERVISORS.

Lovell Moore 1838-39

Ebenezer Davis 1840-42

Isaac Turner 1843-44

James Davis 1845-46

John Potter 1847

Silas Hall 1848

John Potter 1849-50

Wm. A. Tryon 1851-52

Curtis Porter 1853

Milo White 1854-58

Wm. C. Davidson 1859

Milo White 1860

Charles E. Leonard 1861-62

Jeffrey C Champlin 1863

Henry C. Hogadone 1864-65

Horace McNitt 1866

Jeffrey Champlin 1867

Ezra A. Hebard 1868-74

Abiel A. Wilson 1875

P. W. Johnson 1876

Abiel A. Wilson 1877

Ezra A. Hebard 1878-79

Abiel A. Wilson 1880-81

Robert Hilton, Isaac Turner, Ira

Jones, Josiah Burton 1838

Josiah Burton 1839

Billius Stocking, Lovell Moore 1840

Josiah Burton 1841

Zelotes Bemis, Billius Stocking... 1842

Isaac Turner 1843

Charles McCarty..., 1844

Josiah Burton 1845

Milo White 1846

E. X. Faxon, Geo. M. Barker 1847

Thomas Healy 1848

Gideon D. Graves, Jonathan Blair. 1849

Milo White, L. Patterson 1850

Nathaniel Fiske, Milo White, Geo.

Chappell 1851

J. W. Tenney, Thomas Healy, H.

Palmerlee, Conrad Phillips 1852

J. W. Tenney 1853

Edward Halpine J8§4

John Harrington 1855

Andrew Loomis 1856

Allen Durfee 1857

Alexander C. Bailey 1858

Gaius Stebbins 1859

Albert Graves 1860

Jonathan Blair 1861

I. Quigley, Benj. F. Martindale, .1862

Daniel Schermerhorn 1863

John Dowling.... 1864

Martin Metcalf, Henry A. Gill 1865

Isaac Quigley, H. S. Smith, Henry

A.Gill 1866

Thomas Healy, Allen Durfee 1867

Daniel Schermerhorn, Bernard

Courtney 1868

Nathan Earle 1869

Bernard Courtney 1870

Thomas Healy, Henry C. Hogadone 1871

B. F. Martindale, David Champion 1872

William Dunnett, G. M. Edmon.. .1873

Wm. C. Davidson, Jonathan Best. 1874

James E. Adams. 1875

Jonathan Best, John Harrington. .1876

C. Phillips, William Rowe -1877

James M. Searles, A. J. Gill, Wm. Dunnett 1878

Wm. C. Davidson, Wm. Dunnett, Samuel White 1879

Henry A. Hydora .1880

Joseph H. Sheldon 1881

Together with the officers named in the foregoing list, as elected in 1881, N. C. Wright is Highway Commissioner; M. G. Wheeler, Drain Commissioner; William E. Gill, School Superintendent; Geo. P. Hogadone, School Inspector; Geo. W. Blain, I. D Flanagan, Ambrose Mitchell, O. S. Littlefield, Constables. There were 36 Overseers of Roads elected, 35 of whom were chosen to preside over so many road districts in the township, and one over private roads.

SCHOOLS.

District No. 4, commonly known as the Walker Center district, was organized in 1841, and then included a territory of about 15 square miles.

Their first house was a log building, and stood on the north side of section 22; the next was a small wooden building, standing at the original geographical center of the township, on the northeastern corner of section 21.

This building was used until 1867, when a frame building was erected, which cost $1,000.

District No. 7—Bridge street—has a good wooden building, erected in 1860; cost, $400.

District No. 8 was organized in 1845.

A log house was built, which was used until 1858, when the present frame structure, which is generally known as the O'Brien school-house, was erected at a cost of $400.

It is located at the south side of section 29.

District No. 2 is the oldest in the township.

A log building was at first used for a school-house.

The present frame building was put up in 1860, at an expense of about $300.

Location, near the south line of section 33.

The new district in the vicinity of the plaster-mills was set off from No. 2.

District No. 3 has a frame building on the northeast corner of section 19, near the residence of Henry C. Hogadone.

District No. 12 has a frame house on the north side of section 17, near the residence of A. T. Liscomb.

District No. 6 was organized about the year 1840, and a small frame building erected, which was used until 1858, when a large frame house was erected, at a cost of $700.

This house is located on the south side of section 3, and is commonly known as the Simonds' school-house.

District No. 11 was organized in the year 1850 and a small frame house built on the west side of section 12, known as the Wait school-house.

In District No. 5, the first school-house was built on the farm of Andrew Loomis, on the southwest corner of section 6.

The present building, a small frame structure, stands on the northeast corner of section 7.

PERSONAL HISTORY.

The biographical sketches which follow form a portion of this history, well worth the attention of readers.

In every page a record appears, which, while creditable to the township, is yet of greater importance on account of the lesson it teaches.

J. W. Allen, is a highly respected citizen of Kent County, and one of the solid and substantial farmers of Walker tp.

His farm is under a high state of cultivation, and he is evidently a man who thoroughly understands the art of farming.

As a business man he ranks among the foremost of this enterprising county.

The verity of this statement is very forcibly demonstrated by the financial success he has made of life. Mr. Allen owns a fine farm on section 3, of this twp.

His P. O. address is Indian Creek.

Alphozo W, Almy, son of Peleg and Maria (Brookfield) Almy, was born in the city of New York in 1810.

His father was a sea captain and was born in Westport, Mass., July 4, 1781; his mother was born Oct. 22, 1789, in Springfield, N. J.

They were married in New York City, Dec. 29, 1806, and had two sons.

At the age of 24 Mr. Almy, of this sketch, engaged in the livery business in New York with Mr. U. Reynolds, and after six years sold his interest to his partner, and went to Mobile, Ala., where he followed the same calling two years, returning to his native city, and afterward going to St. Catharine’s, Can., where he was associated with Josiah Holmes in carriage-making, and coming, after a few months, to Detroit, where he built a wagon and carriage shop, and a few months later, to Grand Rapids (in the spring of 1848).

He built a wagon and carriage shop on Canal St., where Canfield's wholesale grocery now stands.

He built the Arnold House on Bridge St., and exchanged it for 70 acres of land in Walker; sold, and bought 56 acres on section 5.

He now owns 75 acres, with 70 under cultivation.

He was married in Lewiston, N. Y., July 25, 1842, to Susan, daughter of Lebus and Susan Sweet, born in New York in 1820.

Of five children born to them two are living—Thomas, born July 5, 1853, and Harriet, July 20, 1850.

Mr. Almy served his country in the civil war two years as a mechanic.

 

Franklin Beede was born in Allegany Co., N. Y., Feb. 21, 1827; is son of Hezekiah and Betsey Beede.

When he was 12 years old his parents moved to Wyoming Co., N. Y., and his mother died there in 1849; his father died in Saline two years later.

In 1853 Mr. Beede came to Kent County, and bought for himself and brother-in-law 100 acres of land on section 6, on the portion set off from Wyoming.

In 1866 he sold out and bought 90 acres on sees. 31 and 6, where he has built his residence and barn, at the cost of $2,500; has 60 acres improved.

He enlisted at Grand Rapids in the war for the Union in August, 1862, in Co. H, 21st Reg., Mich. Vol. Inf. (Capt. Chase and Lieut. Bishop), served three years, and was discharged at Indianapolis in July, 1865.

He was married in Walker, Feb., 22, 1857, to Charlotte, daughter of Henry and Thyrza (Pratt) Ewing, born in Oakland Co., Mich., in 1835.

They have three children born in Walker, as follows: Charles H., March 29, 1858; Frank, Dec. 1, 1860, and Nellie M., Aug. 2, 1870.

 

Henry R. Berger (deceased) was born in Germany, Oct. 10, 1817, and was son of John and Catherine Berger.

He came to the United States at 22, and settled two miles from Albany, N. Y., remaining until 1859, and was married March 23, 1847, to Elizabeth, daughter of George R. and Catherine A. Snyder, born in Germany, Feb 3, 1830.

They have five children—William H., Cornelia S., Aurelia L., John F. and Charles.

They came to Grand Rapids in 1859, and the next year bought 67 acres on sections 5 and 6 in Walker, on the Wyoming division, where they have 120 acres, with 100 under improvement.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Berger were members of the M. E. Church.

Mr. Berger died March 26, 1881.

 

Jonathan Best, son of William and Lydia (Southard) Best, was born in Huron Co., O., Oct. 18, 1827. His father was born in Ireland, of Scotch ancestry, and his mother was of English extraction.

He was educated in the common schools of Huron County, and at 21 bought 40 acres of land.

A few years after he sold and bought 111 acres on the prairie in Lime, Huron Co.

He was married July 11, 1858, to Harriet, daughter of Jonathan and Nancy Morehead.

Two children were born in Huron county—Lucinda, April 20, 1859, and William J., Nov. 11, 1860.

His wife died Aug. 30, 1862, and he was again married, Feb. 24, 1864, in Huron County, to Angelina, daughter of Pardon and Elizabeth (Wood) Worden, born in Norwich, Huron Co., April 3, 1839.

In the winter of 1869 he bought 72 acres of land on section 16, this twp., and settled on it the same year. About 70 acres are improved.

He is a Granger, and a member of the Masonic order, and has been Justice of the Peace about six years.

 

Jonathan Blair, jr., was born in 1821.

He is son of Jonathan and Eliza Blair.

In the fall of 1842 they came to Lansing, Ingham Co., and in 1844 rented a farm of 120 acres, on section 4, owned by Robert Hilton and Nathaniel Fisk.

Two years after they bought 138 acres on section 6, situated partly in Wyoming division, where his father and step-mother died in 1852.

He was married in Walker in 1855 to Betsey, daughter of Hezekiah and Betsey Beede, born in New York in 1830.

They have four children—Mary E., Charlotte J., Lewie J. and Ethelyn.

Mr. Blair has officiated one term as Justice of the Peace and about 12 years as Highway Commissioner; is a member of the Grange.

Awry Brace was born in Orleans Co., N. Y., in 1812; a son of Chester and Asenath (Strong) Brace, of English descent.

When he was two years old his parents moved with him to Genesee county, that State, and in 1844 he came to Grand Rapids with only $300, and in a few weeks he bought 80 acres of wild land on sec 3, this tp.; he built a frame house, 18 by 22 feet, in which he lived until 1870, when he erected a finer frame dwelling, at a cost of $1,500.

A brother who accompanied him to this county purchased a tract of land adjoining, and he boarded with him two years, when, Oct. 14, 1846, he was married, to Martha L., daughter of Totan and Mary Simonds, who was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y.

They have two children, born in this twp.—Emmet L. (next mentioned), and Mary A., born Aug. 22, 1849, now the wife of Eleazar P. Wilder, of Oceana county, this State.

Mr. Brace's father died here at the residence of his son in 1868, aged 76, and his stepmother the ensuing year, aged 77; his own mother died when he was only nine years of age.

Mrs. Brace's father died in this county in 1840, aged 46, and her mother in 1869, aged 81.

Mr. B. has 70 acres of land under improvement.

He is a member of the Grange.

Emmet Brace, son of the preceding, was born Feb. 26,1848, in this twp., brought up on the farm, and in 1877 married Maria L., daughter of Wm. R. and Jane McEwing, who was born in Huntington, Ohio, Dec. 25,1857.

Their two children are Avery G., born March 29, 1878, and Jennie M., Feb. 11, 1881.

Mr. B. resides at home with his father, and works the old place.

Edwin M. Bullard, third son of Fisher and Rhoda (Clark) Bullard, was born in Swansea, N. H., in 1823.

His parents were of English descent and born respectively in Franklin and Sharon, Mass.

At 19 Mr. Bullard united with the Baptist Church; at 20, and through the influence of friends, entered Hancock Literary and Scientific School, to prepare for the ministry, though he was disposed to fit for the legal profession.

He spent several years at school and in teaching.

Being wholly dependent upon himself, he was obliged to exercise the most rigid economy, and frequently his weekly expenses reached the notably small figure of 60 cents.

Such exertion had its effects on body and mind, and he was obliged to relinquish his plans; for more than a year he was unable to read.

He was married in 1849 to Sarah E., daughter of Thomas and Mabel Marble, born in Hinsdale, N. H., in 1829.

Two children were born and died.

Mrs. Bullard died Aug. 20, 1876, and Mr. B. married Mrs. Martha B., widow of Albert Graves and daughter of Sheldon and Sarah Calhoun, born in Oneida County, March 7, 1826.

In 1851 he went to Wauwatosa, Wis., and assisted in the erection of a flouring mill.

He afterward went to Michigan to build a saw-mill on White River, a luckless enterprise, as Charles Hart, his employer, took French leave for California with $600 of his earnings.

Mr. Bullard placed his small possessions on a small boat—the "Supply''—plying between Grand Haven and the Clay Banks, and came to Grand Haven, and then to Grand Rapids.

He leased a house of Amos Rathbun, and an hour later the domestic machinery was in order.

(The house stands near the Sangerfest building on Lyons St., used as a paint shop.)

In 1860 he bought 320 acres of land in Phelps Co., Mo., but the war of the Rebellion obliged him to leave it, and he bought a farm on section 8, in Walker.

In 1875 Mrs. Bullard died of paralysis, and, four years after, Jesse E., only son, aged 19, died of diphtheria.

Rev. Daniel Bash (deceased) was born May 10, 1810, in Bastard, Leeds Co., Canada West, and at the age of 21 settled in Lockport, N. Y., where lie engaged in farming.

In 1836, he entered the Genesee Wesleyan University at Lima, N. Y. with a view to the ministry, and, two years later, graduated from that institution.

He received a license as exhorter in 1837, and as preacher in 1838.

In 1840 he joined the Michigan Conference of the M. E. Church, was ordained Deacon in 1842 and Elder in 1844.

He was sent as a missionary to Grand Rapids in 1840, a field of labor at that date on the extreme verge of civilization, where he experienced all the hardships of the conscientious, laborious, ministerial pioneer.

Indian trails were almost the only thoroughfares, and these not always within the proper or direct route, so the preacher was often obliged to "blaze" his path to make certain of finding his way among the settlements.

Nine years of the rugged, exposed life of a pioneer missionary compelled him to rest awhile from his labors, and in 1849 he "located" on a farm of 160 acres which he purchased from Government; 107 acres of this remain in the family.

In 1853 he resumed the active duties of his profession, which he discharged in full for six years, when he returned to the farm, continuing to preach at intervals under the Presiding Elder until 1872.

His fields of labor in addition to those named, were Lowell, Allegan, Ganges, Cedar Springs, Nunica, Ada, Hastings, Three Rivers, Otsego, Yorkville, Dearborn, Wayne, Clinton and Tecumseh.

Mr. Bush always took a hearty personal interest in all matters pertaining to the public welfare, held numerous offices of trust, was Town Treasurer and school Inspector a number of years, and was always interested in school matters.

He was married July 23, 1841, to Sophronia, daughter of Samuel and Lydia White (among the oldest pioneers of the tp.).

She was born in Palmyra, N. Y., Sep. 3, 1821.

They had ten children, eight of whom are now living—Marion M., Azubah M., Samuel W., Abbie M., Rupert C, Mina E., William W., and Daniel W..

Mrs. Bush died Nov. 22, 1870; Mr. Bush died July 31, 1881.

He was well known throughout the whole extent of the Grand River Valley, the field of his life's interests and ambitions.

On the death of the Rev. James Ballard, Mr. Bush succeeded to the Chaplaincy of the Old Settlers' Association, and the society passed resolutions of sympathy at his demise.

His son Rupert C. is sole executor of his estate.

Mr. Bush helped to get out the timber for the first M. E. church in Grand Rapids, built on Division Street. His salary for his first year's services as minister in this county was a pair of boots and $9 in money.

He was a man of clear mind and strong convictions, and an able advocate of his religious opinions, and invariably endeavored to practice what he preached.

In his death the family lost a kind and affectionate father, the Church an honest and earnest servant, and the State a good citizen.

His portrait may be found elsewhere in this work.

Phineas S. Camp, son of Curtis P. and Sarah A. (Lawrence) Camp, was born in Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., in 1840.

His father died when he was four years old, and 11 years after, his mother, with five children, came to Grand Rapids, and two years after to Walker.

He was married in 1869 to Sarah A., daughter of Benj. F. and Rhoda B. Woodman, born in Ionia Co., Mich., in 1849.

Two children were born to them in Walker twp.—Nina L., Aug. L. 1877, and Clay W., Feb. 26, 1881.

In 1876 Mr. Camp bought 40 acres of land on section 20, with no buildings and but 18 acres improved.

At this writing 30 acres are cultivated and the place has fine buildings.

He is a Granger and has been Twp. Treasurer two years.

His grandfathers were both soldiers of 1812 and one held the rank of Captain.

Dan. N. Chappell, son of James and Margaret (Hogadone) Chappell, was born Oct 27, 1815, in Bennington, Vt.

When quite small his parents went to Madison Co., K. Y., where his father engaged in the manufacture of cloth and clothing.

Mr. Chappell, of this sketch, went at 21 years of age to Shelby, Orleans Co., N. Y., and engaged in a saw and flouring mill with a man named Homer Adams and his brother, Peter Chappell.

The mills were operated eight years, when, in 1844, he came to Michigan and settled.

He had been here in 1838 and spent six months.

He bought 80 acres on section 7, to which he has added 80 more, with 100 under tillage.

He was married in Orleans Co., N. Y., in 1843, to Sophia, daughter of Samuel Gill, born in Madison Co., N. Y., in 1821.

Two children born to them are both living—Henrietta, born in Orleans Co., Mar. 4, 1844, and George H., born in Walker, Aug. 25,1850.

His wife died in 1860, and he was married again Jan. 1, 1868, to Aurelia, widow of Cyrus Whittaker and daughter of Joseph and Mary Ballard, born in N. Y., Aug. 15, 1832.

They have one daughter—Mary F., born in Walker, Feb. 11, 1869.

She is a promising girl and a great delight and comfort to her parents.

She is a creditable performer on the organ and sings well and with much taste.

Mr. Chappell has experienced all the vicissitudes of a Michigan pioneer; his land was all primeval forest and his first house, a log cabin, was built in the rear of the site of his present substantial residence.

George S. Chappell, son of James and Margaret (Hogadone) Chappell, was born in Madison Co., In. Y., April 14, 1818.

His father was a manufacturer of cloth and also a blacksmith.

In the fall of 1837 he came to Michigan and chopped for Jerry Bennett and Judge Morrison.

He returned to New York in the fall of 1838 and a year later came to Grand Rapids and was in the employ of Judge Morrison one winter.

The next 18 months he was in Oakland County, and in the winter attended school.

He returned to Grand Rapids and located 80 acres on section 7, all forest land, which he proceeded to clear.

He had an ox team and was regarded as the best logger in this section; consequently himself and team were in demand.

His neighbors paid their indebtedness to him by aiding in clearing his land.

In one season his team logged 80 acres, and he assisted in the aggregate in clearing hundreds of acres, besides 60 of his own.

He was married in Walker, Oct. 24, 1850, to Ann E. Wheeler, born in Genesee Co., N. Y., April 4, 1820. They had three children born in Walker—Alice E., Aug. 16, 1852; Sarah J., Jan. 13, 1860; and Warren L., July 20, 1851, and died Jan. 26, 1853.

Mrs. Chappell died June 31, 1860, and Mr. O. was again married, Mar. 18, 1861, to Louisa C, daughter of David and Mitty (Macaney) Chilson, born Nov. 26, 1827, in Mass.

Their two children were born in Walker as follows:—Philo S., Aug. 9, 1854, and Nellie C, June 14, 1867.

George F. Coon, son of Holly and Elizabeth Coon, was born June 30, 1835, in Genesee Co., N. Y., where he lived and attended school until 13 years, when his parents moved to Cascade.

His father was a shoemaker and he learned painting with Mr. Dixon, on Monroe St.

At 19 he commenced business for himself on Canal St., and two years after on Monroe St., near the site of the Morton House, in partnership with Edwin Baxter, which relation lasted nearly two years.

(He painted the Eagle Hotel when it was finished.)

In 1858 he bought 80 acres in Tallmadge, Ottawa Co., and, after clearing 10 acres, sold and bought 49 acres on sections 5, which he sold in 1880 and bought 100 acres on sees. 6 and 7, with 75 under culture; also owns 80 acres in Cascade with 70 acres improved; also four acres in Grand Rapids city limits.

He married in Grand Rapids, in 1856, Sarah J., daughter of Charles and Betsey Moore, born in Detroit in 1836.

They have seven children—Ida J., Betsey E., Ella J., Jessie U., Alice J., Charles A., and Bernice.

Philip T, Covell  was born in Cabot, Caledonia Co., VT, Dec. 12, 1811.

He is son of Philip and Lois (Nye) Covell, natives of Weathersfield, Conn.

He was reared a farmer and remained on his father's estate until 21 years of age, when he left him and began the world for himself.

Two years after he went to Ogden, N. Y., where he remained three years.

In the fall of 1837 he came to Grand Rapids and engaged as a carpenter one year and returned to New York, where he was similarly employed.

He was married in 1839 to Maria, daughter of Calvin and Charlotte (Clements) Abbott, born in Monroe Co., N. Y., in 1820 and died Nov. 3, 1857, in Grand Rapids, leaving five children who yet survive.

They were born in the subsequent order:— Addie M., in Ogden, N.Y., in 1843; Emma H., Aug. 26,1845; Mary E., Oct. 12,1847; Lottie A., Nov. 19,1849 and Frank E. May 12,1854.

The four last named were born in Alpine twp. Mr. Covell was married a second time, April 27, 1858, in Walker, to Mrs. Sarah Hogadone, born in Walsingham, Can., June 26, 1818.

They have one child,—-Chester P., born Dec. 31, 1860.

In 1844 he came to Michigan and bought 80 acres of land on section 33, in Alpine.

The township organization took place soon after and Mr. Covell was on the Board.

He was also Collector and Treasurer six years, has been one of the Directors of the Kent Co. Insurance Company, is connected with the order of Odd Fellows, the Wyoming Grange and the Early Residents' Society.

In August, 1856, he engaged in the sale of groceries and provisions in Grand Rapids, on Front St., West Side, where he did business about one year and came to Walker, where he owns 160 acres of land; one-half respectively on sections, 22 and 15, with 125 acres in an advanced state of improvement.

Mrs. Covell has a son, George P. Hogadone, born in Walker, Dec. 6, 1850.

Mr. Covell is Treasurer of the Detective Society,

John V. Crissman, second son of Benjamin and Mary (Kern) Crissman, was born in Hartwick, Warren Co., N. J., in 1815.

His father's family came to Michigan in 1833 and bought a farm of 240 acres, 20 miles north of Detroit, in Macomb County, and in March, 1837, he came to Grand Rapids.

The fine city was then a small place; a Catholic church was in process of erection on Porter's block, which was afterward used for stores and eventually torn down.

He pre-empted 160 acres in Plainfield, on section 24, where he remained until 1857, and cleared about 100 acres.

He came to Grand Rapids and engaged as a merchant and real estate broker.

In 1875 he bought 80 acres on section 21, 65 of which are in a state of advanced improvement.

He owns 11 lots in Grand Rapids suburbs, and a store at 111 Monroe St., occupied by Sargent Bros.

He is a member of the Early Residents Association.

He was married July 3, 1850, in Grand Rapids, to Helen M., daughter of Eli T. and Sarah N. Lewis, born in Geneva, N. Y., Sept. 18, 1832.

They have live children—Mary E., born in Plainfield; Leonard B., in Buena Vista (Cannon); Sarah C, in Grand Rapids; Jennie A., in Grand Rapids, and Ada H. in Grand Rapids.

Samuel Cullard, son of George and Elizabeth Cullard, was born in England in 1817.

In 1841 he came to the United States and spent nearly three years in New Jersey, returning to England. He was married there at about the age of 30 to Mary, daughter of William May.

They had one child—Samuel., Mr. Cullard returned to the United States and resided in New York 12 years.

In 1861 he came to Michigan, and in partnership with his brother, he bought 40 acres of land in section 12, this twp.

His brother's portion is now owned by his son Samuel, with whom Mr. Cullard lives, his wife being dead.

The farm is all improved.

Joseph Danton, son of William and Sarah (Medler) Danton, was born in Nova Scotia, in 1809.

His parents went to Upper Canada in 1818, and two years later his father died.

Mr. Danton learned the carpenter's trade before his majority, and in 1838 came to Grand Rapids.

He arrived on the Fourth of July in the midst of a celebration, participated in by 50 persons, a considerable crowd for that period.

His trade made him a welcome comer among the settlers, and he made himself useful putting in doors, windows, floors, roofs, etc.

He bought 80 acres of land in Walker in 1839, and cleared 70, then selling and buying 106 acres in sections 2, 100 of which are now improved.

He was married in Canada in 1834 to Sarah Wall.

Of six children born to them, one is living—Sarah E. Mrs. Danton died in 1841, and Mr. Danton was married July 22, 1861, to Mrs. Florilla L., widow of Gideon Col ton, daughter of Phineas C. and Louisa (Markham) Higgins, born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., July 12, 1819.

Mrs. Danton had two daughters by her first marriage, one of whom, Kittie J., was born in Grand Rapids, April 12, 1853, now Mrs. Alvin Shearer.

Samuel M. Dunlap was born in Knoxville, Tenn., in 1823; is son of Nathaniel and Mary Dunlap.

His father lost his life by an accident, and when he was seven years old his mother moved to Indiana and in 1841 to Grand Rapids, with four children.

Mr. Dunlap worked the first winter cutting wood for Deacon Page and afterward on the farm of B. Stocking, and spent some time employed as a mason, sawyer, etc.

In 1845 he bought 40 acres on section 14, 30 of which is now improved.

He was married in Grand Rapids, March 6, 1851, to Frances L. Seymour, born in Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., Feb. 26, 1829.

They have four children, born in Walker—Elizabeth M., Seymour M., Thursa A. and Emmett D. Mr. Dunlap's mother died in 1872.

Russell R. Dunlap, his brother, lives with him; was born in Knoxville, Tenn., Feb. 8, 1830, and owns 70 acres on sections 15, with 45 acres improved.

He has another brother, James H., and a sister, Jane M.

Nathaniel Fish (deceased) was born in Brandon, Vt., in 1809, He was a carpenter and joiner by trade, and made that his vocation for 30 years.

He came to Grand Rapids in 1840, and worked at his trade and on a farm.

He was married June 8, 1843, to Asenath, daughter of Jacob and Nancy (Winslow) Barnes, born in Stowe, Vt., in 1821.

Two of three children born to them are living. Ellen A. was born at Grand Rapids March 2, 1844; Delia N., in Grand Haven, Feb. 5, 1847; and Fred N., in Walker, Oct. 19, 1850, and died March 25, 1871.

About 1860 he bought 30 acres on section 27, and 40 on section 22, which was afterward sold.

Mr. Fisk built two fine residences on his place for himself and his daughter Ellen (Mrs. Mclntyre).

He died Sept. 12, 1876, in Walker, and was buried in the family lot at Oak Hill Cemetery.

Alfred J. Gill was born in Madison Co., N. Y., in 1830.

His parents, John and Harriet Gill, were natives respectively of New York and Massachusetts; the former died in 1844, the latter in 1860.

His father owned 100 acres in Madison County, which he sold when Mr. Gill was five years old, and bought 200 acres in Genesee County, and engaged in sheep-raising and wool-growing.

The county of Genesee was subsequently divided, and the farm was in the Wyoming division.

Mr. Gill was married in 1854 to Harriet E., daughter of Calvin and Emily Rodgers, born in Wyoming, N. Y., in 1836.

They have two children—William E., born in Wyoming, in 1856, and Mark W., born in Walker, in 1865.

The family came to Michigan in the spring of 1865, and bought 100 acres.

Of this, 60 acres are improved, and Mr. Gill has built a substantial residence at an expenditure of about $3,000.

He also owns considerable valuable property in the city, part of which is centrally located.

Vernon Harrington, son of John and Phebe (Field) Harrington, was born in Springfield, Windsor Co., VT, Nov. 7, 1833.

His parents came to Walker twp. when he was five years old, where his father pre-empted 80 acres on section 2.

During the first year in which that land came into market he bought 40 acres on the same section, bid in by Solomon Wright, at $1.25 per acre.

Of the tract purchased, 85 acres have been improved.

Mr. Harrington was married in 1864 in Grand Rapids, to Martha A., daughter of Caleb and Maria L. Ellis, born in Bellville, Jefferson Co. N. Y., in 1844.

They have three sons—Vernon E., born Oct. 8, 1865, Anson R., April 6, 1870, and Arthur F., June IT, 1876.

Mr. Harrington is a Mason.

His maternal grandfather was in the Revolutionary war seven years.

Mrs. H.'s grandfather was one of the first settlers in Windsor Co., VT

Ezra A. Hebard, M. D., was born March 2, 1830, in Leyden, Franklin Co., Mass.

He is son of Charles A. and Nancy (Foster) Hebard, both natives of Franklin County, the former born July 5, 1805, the latter in 1808.

Dr. Hebard is descended from loyal and illustrious ancestry; his great-grandfather (paternal) had seven sons, all over six feet in height and all patriots of the Revolution.

His grandfather, Rev. Asa Hebard, was born in 1755, at Norwich, Conn.; the wife of the latter was a member of the family of Gen. Armstrong of Connecticut.

The Foster family was also known in the Revolutionary struggle, and was an eminent family. Dr. Hebard's father and mother were married in March, 1829.

They went to Orleans Co., N. Y., and in the fall of 1839 to Lapeer Co., Mich.

His father represented his district in the State Legislature in 1844 and '47.

His mother died in Massachusetts, July 14, 1849, while on a visit to her early home, and his father married again; he died in Kasota, Minn., May 16, 1855, leaving a young daughter, Florence, born in Lapeer, in 1852, now a teacher in the 8th ward of Grand Rapids.

Frank F. Hebard, four years old when his mother died, grew to manhood and graduated from the medical department of Michigan University in 1869, practiced his profession in Caledonia, and died in 1876.

Dr. Hebard acquired the rudiments of education in the schools of Lapeer, and afterward attended True's Academy.

In 1848 lie began the study of medicine in Lapeer with Drs. Parmenter and Griswolcl, and two years later matriculated at Michigan University, attending the first course of medical lectures delivered there.

At the end of the term he went to the Medical College at Pittsfield, Berkshire Co., Mass. and graduated in November, 1851.

He entered upon the practice of his profession at Dryden, Lapeer Co., in 1852.

In 1860 he went to Winona, Minn., and six years after to Grand Rapids, and in 1869 settled on his estate in section 16, in Walker, where he has since resided.

He was married in Almont, Lapeer Co., Dec. 3, 1854, to Mary J. Thorington, born in Oakland Co., June 20, 1832.

They have one son, born in Dryden, Feb. 28, 1858.

He graduated from the medical department of Michigan University, and has a drug store at No. 126 Canal Street, Grand Rapids.

Dr. Hebard has served nine years as Supervisor.

David W. Hilton, son of David and Hannah Hilton, was born in Monroe Co., N. Y., in 1828.

His mother, who was born in 1793, died in 1846, and in 1848 he and his father came to Michigan and bought 200 acres in Walker, in section 6.

They settled on it and began the work of clearing and improving.

The father, who was born in 1783, died in 1874. Mr. IT., of this sketch, owns 120 acres of land; 60 acres are improved.

He was married in Alpine, in 1858, to Mary C, daughter of Lyman W. and Sarah L. Patten, born in Herkimer County, in 1842.

They have three children, born in Walker—Mary L., Nora C, and Alberta S, Mr. Hilton had but little means to start in life with, but by industry, economy and close attention to business, he acquired a nice property.

He is consequently one of the solid, influential pioneers of Kent County.

He is a member of the Masonic fraternity; in religion he is liberal, and in politics Republican.

Leonard K. Hilton, son of David and Hannah (Black) Hilton, was born in New York in 1831.

His father was a native of Vermont, his mother of New York.

The latter died when he was young, and when he was 15 years of age his father came West with eight children, five sons and three daughters.

They came to this tp. in 1849, and his father bought several hundred acres in Walker and Alpine, besides several city lots in Grand Rapids.

Mr. Hilton, sr.T died, and his estate was distributed among his children, Mr. Hilton of this sketch receiving 80 acres and one city lot.

He has 60 acres improved.

He was married in Pontiac, Oakland Co., in 1864, to Chastina Fisher, a native of the same county.

They have three children, born in Walker—Willie F., Aug. 26, 1868; Edna M., Aug. 28, 1873, and Arthur L., March 2, 1879.

Edwin D. Hogadone was born in Bayham, Canada West, in 1828.

He is a son of John and Cyrena (Couchraan) Hogadone, both natives of New York, born May 7, 1785, and March 12, 1790, and were married March 24, 1807.

In 1811 they moved from Albany Co., N. Y., to Canada, where they resided until 1839.

They had 12 children, eight of whom are living—Mary (widow of John Nelles, and lives in Grand Rapids), Elizabeth (now widow of the late Horatio Brooks, of Grand Rapids), Nancy (now the wife of Samuel Westlake, this tp.), John B., Sarah A. (wife of George W. Rogers, of Sparta tp.), Henry C. (next mentioned), Edwin D. (of this paragraph), and Cyrena J. (wife of George J. of Grand Rapids).

Mr. John Hogadone, the father, died June 6, 1863, and Mrs. H., Dec. 2, 1865.

In the spring of 1838, Peter Hogadone, brother of Edwin, came to Kent county, and the next year his father's family, with five sons, ranging in age from 22 to nine years, and three daughters, set out with three two-horse wagons, and drove through to this tp.

They started Nov. 1 and arrived Nov. 16.

Two daughters came afterward.

They located on a tract of land and cleared about 120 acres.

Mr. Hogadone was married in Walker, Jan. 4, 1856, to Lucretia, daughter of Oliver and Phila A. Luther, born in New York in 1840, the former of German descent, who died in Ohio.

Her mother moved to Newaygo County, this State, when she was young, and lived there until 1855, and then came to Kent County, where she died in 1858.

They have had four children, three of whom are living—Frank D., born July 1, 1860; Charles E., Feb. 5, 1863; Libbie M., Aug. 18, 1864.

The child deceased was an infant. Mr. H. owns 80 acres, sections 28, 20 on 27, 40 on 34, and 20 on 19, with 75 acres improved; also owns between four and five acres on Butterworth ave., and one lot corner Jefferson ave. and Watson St, in Grand Rapids.

He resides on the homestead; his brother, John B., has lived with him since 1840.

Edwin D., coming to the wilds of the West at so early a day, had, of course, but little opportunity for a school education; but his native judgment enabled him to cope with the difficulties of pioneer life.

He helped open the first road in this tp., No. 1, leading from Bridge Street Bridge to the county line, southwest: and he also aided in the erection of the second school-house in this tp.

As a representative citizen of Walker tp., we present Mr. Hogadone's portrait in this work.

Henry O. Hogadone, son of John and Rena (Couchman) Hogadone, natives of Schoharie Co., N. Y., born in Canada in 1823.

In 1839 he settled in this tp. with his father, mother, five brothers and three sisters.

His father bought 160 acres on section 27, and died in May, 1863.

His mother died in 1865.

In 1848 Mr. Hogadone bought 80 acres on sees. 19 and 20, of which he retains 40; also 20 on section 19, and 40 on sec. 18, making 100 in all, with 70 under cultivation.

He was married Nov. 12, 1851, to Phebe J., daughter of Conrad and Anne (McDuffee) Phillips, born in Dumfries, April 7, 1827, of Scotch ancestry.

They have four children, born in Walker—Elnora D., June 24, 1855; Leana Lanore, Feb. 7, 1858; Rena P., June 23,1863; John B., March 24,1869. James H. was born Aug. 20, 1852, and died Aug. 1, 1873.

Mrs. Hogadone is the fifth child of a family of 10 children, all but one of whom lived to be married.

Her father was born in Pennsylvania in 1793, and died July 27, 1879.

Her mother was born in Newark, N. J., in 1794.

They came to Michigan in February, 1843, and settled on section 15, in Walker.

Mr. Hogadone is a member of the Grange, and President of the Walker Detective Association.

He has been Justice of the Peace four years, Treasurer two years, Drain Commissioner five years, and Supervisor two years.

John B. Hogadone was born in Ontario in 1818.

His parents, John and Cyrena (Couchman) Hogadone, came to Michigan in 1839, and located 160 acres on sec. 28 Walker tp., and the following year Mr. H., then 22 years old, joined them, and went to work on his father's farm.

There were five sons and three daughters.

In the distribution of his father's estate Mr. H. received 80 acres of the homestead property, and owns in addition 80 acres on sec. 20, with 75 acres improved.

He also owns a house and lot on California St., a house and lot on Scribner St., and a vacant lot on Jefferson Avenue, all desirably located.

He is a member of the Old Settlers' Association.

The subject of this sketch has resided with Edwin D. since 1840.

He was never married.

He has carried on farming, and is a man well respected in the neighborhood where he resides; is a Democrat, and, religiously, is a "Liberal."

Henry A. Hydorn, Supervisor and Justice of the Peace, of Walker, was born Jan. 30, 1844, in Brunswick, Rensselaer Co., N. Y.; his father, Conrad H., was a native of the same town, and came to Michigan in 1866.

He was a contractor and builder by occupation, which he pursued in Grand Rapids, where he spent the remainder of his life.

He died at his residence, 118 Fourth St., March 25, 1874, leaving two sons and four daughters.

Mr. Hydorn, of this sketch, is the youngest son.

He attended the common schools of Schaghticoke, and finished his education at West Winfield Academy, in Herkimer Co., N. Y.

In 1856 he entered the store of H. D. Carpenter, his brother-in-law, at Cedarville, N. Y.

In 1860 he went to West Winfield and entered the employ of R. Huntley as clerk, and at the same time attended the academy until the fall of 1861.

He traveled for the dry goods house of Johnson, Fry & Co., 884-386 Broadway, N. Y., until September, 1862, when he enlisted in the 152d N. Y. Inf., as 2d Lieut., and was promoted to the Captaincy of Co. B; served three years in the Army of the Potomac, and took part in 23 engagements.

He embarked in mercantile business in New York, and in 1876 came to Michigan and bought a small farm on sec. 22, Walker tp., which has since been his home.

He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1879, and was appointed Supervisor June 13, 1881; is Chairman of the Standing Committee on Drains; is also Notary Public.

Mr. Hydorn is acting as salesman for Whitworth & Alden, 39 West Bridge St.

S. Ellis Keifer, son of Abraham and Catherine (Deafenbauch) Keifer, was born in Pennsylvania in 1841.

He was bred a farmer, and in 1864 he bought 80 acres on sec. 19, this tp., which he afterward sold, and bought 40 acres on sec. 17, 30 of which are improved.

He was married in 1865, to Mary S., daughter of Conrad and Anna Phillips, born in Canada in 1840.

One daughter, Ida N., was born in Walker, April 8, 1869.

Mr. Keifer enlisted in the Civil War at Danville, Pa., in 132nd Reg. Pennsylvania Volunteer Artillery, as Fifth Sergeant; he served three months, and was in the battle of Antietam.

Thomas Keirams, son of Owen and Mary (Matthews) Keirams, was born in County Lowth, Ireland, in 1825.

In 1843 his parents came to the United States, and settled in Rochester, N. Y., where they remained five years, and their son learned the business of molder, which he followed until 1874.

In 1849 they came to Vergennes, and in 1850 to Grand Rapids, where his father died in December, 1865, and his mother in August, 1876, the former aged 77 years and 6 months, the latter 84 years old.

Mr. Keirams enlisted at St. Louis, Missouri, in July, 1862, in the 10th Missouri Cavalry, Company H, Capt. P. Naughton; served three years in the severe campaigns of the Army of the Cumberland, and was discharged at Nashville, Tenn., June 27, 1865, and returned to Grand Rapids.

He was engaged in trade in St. Louis after his father's death until that of his mother's, returning annually to visit her.

After her death he remained in Michigan, and in May, 1881, bought 80 acres on section 31, with 70 improved.

He owns property on corner of Madison and Fifth avenues, valued at $5,000, and his farm, house and buildings are very fine and valuable.

He was married at Grand Rapids, March 3, 1878, to Catherine, daughter of John and Catherine (Caughton) McCarthy, born in Clare Co., Ireland, in 1845.

They have one child, born at Grand Rapids, Dec. 31, 1879—Patrick J.

Florence A. Lamoreanx was born in Yates Co., Feb. 14, 1831.

In 1844 his parents came to Michigan, and settled on Plaster creek, three miles south of Grand Rapids, and a year and a half after removed to Walker.

When they came to this section they made the route on Grand River from Jackson on three scows. Floating trees sometimes obstructed the way, which were chopped out.

Mr. L., sr., bought 160 acres on section 1, and died in 1876; his wife died when F. A. was about 11 years old.

Mr. L., of this sketch, bought 59 acres of the homestead property before his father's death, and now owns also 80 acres in Plainfield, with 45 under culture.

He was married April 16, 1859, to Louise E., daughter of Lyman W. and Sarah L. Patten, born Aug. 24, 1837, in West Winfield, Herkimer Co., N. Y.

They have had six children, born in Walker, as follows; James F., Jan. 8, 1860; Fred A., Feb, 26, 1862; Geo. P., April 8, 1864; S. Eliza, Dec. 20, 1868; Charles Hudson, Oct. 8, 1871; Win, SM Sept. 18, 1873.

Charles died Jan. 4, 1881.

Geo. T. Patten, only brother of Mrs. L., enlisted in the civil war at Grand Rapids in 1863, in Co. B, Sixth Mich. Cav., Capt. Weaver, and was killed July 14, 1864, near Falling Waters.

Parents' names were Andrew and Sallie, the former of French and the latter German descent.

Lester H. Lamoreaux, son of Andrew W. and Sallie Lamoreaux, was born in Middlesex, Yates Co., N. Y., Nov. 3, 1827.

When he was 16 years old his father sold his farm and came to Walker (in 1844), and bought 160 acres on sec. 1.

His mother died in New York, and his father was married in 1842 to Mrs. Emma (Brown) Weed, widow of James Weed.

He died in June, 1876.

Lester H. was married in Wyoming, Feb. 21, 1848, to Mary E., daughter of Charles B. and Elizabeth Moore, born in Detroit in 1833.

Four children were born to them in Walker, three of whom are living—Franklin, Sarah J. and Alice M.; Charles is deceased.

Mr. L. owns 40 acres, inherited from his father's estate, with 36 improved.

He has a blacksmith shop, and does custom work; also carpentering to some extent; has a genius for most mechanical employments.

He was a teamster in the army six months, and has served 12 successive terms as School District Treasurer.

Frank Lewis, son of John and Mary Lewis, was born in Sweden, in 1830.

He was employed in his native country in a flouring mill from the age of 15 until he came to America in 1855.

He has been engaged in lumbering on the Muskegon and White rivers until March, 1880, when he bought 80 acres on section 18, this tp., with 55 acres improved.

He was married on White lake, Michichigan in 1865, to Christina, daughter of John Garbleson, born in Sweden in 1841.

Of seven children born to them, three are living—Elmer, Albert, and an infant child.

Mr. and Mrs. Lewis belong to the M. E. Church, and he is a Granger.

John Louckes, jr., deceased, son of John and Electa Louckes, was born June 4, 1806, in Vermont.

When he was 12 years old his parents went to Canada West, and in 1854 he settled on 120 acres on section 2 in Walker.

He afterward sold 40 acres; 60 of the remaining 80 are under cultivation.

He was married in Canada, Jan. 30, 1827, to Susan, daughter of Joshua Thompson.

Of their 12 children, eight are living, viz.—Margaret, George, Elizabeth, Sarah, Wesley, Alva, Harvey and John. Mr. Louckes died July 4, 1881. The estate has passed into the possession of the sons, Alva and John, each owning one-half.

Two sons, George and Wesley, enlisted in the civil war, in the 75th Reg. Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Captain Voray, and served three years.

Wesley was disabled.

Alva was married June 23, 1870, to Mary, daughter of Philip F. and Maria (Abbott) Covell, a native of Alpine, born Oct. 12, 1848.

They have one son—Harry C, born in Walker, May 18, 1875.

Mr. Alva Louckes is a member of the Grange.

 

Patrick Lynch, son of John and Joanna Lynch, was born in 1807, in Cork Co., Ireland.

He was bred to farm employment, his father owning land in his native country.

He was married at 23, to Ellen, daughter of John and Kate (Shea) Sullivan, born in Ireland in 1824.

Mr. Lynch settled 150 miles from Quebec, Can., 1831, and engaged in lumbering three years.

He spent a few months in Quebec, and then went to Albany, N. Y., where he learned the stone-cutter's trade, and followed it 10 years.

He came to Grand Rapids in 1842, and bought 40 acres on section 31, Walker twp.

It was all in timber, and he left his family at Grand Rapids while he built a log house for them.

He now owns 120 acres on section 31, with 80 acres under cultivation.

Nine children have been born to them in America, five of whom are now living—Kate, Mary, Ellen, Maggie, Joanna and Jeremiah.

One son, John, lost his life in the army.

He enlisted at Grand Rapids in Co. F, 2d Michigan Cavalry, and served two years; was in a number of fights, and was shot while coming in from picket guard.

His body was sent home, and buried at Grand Rapids.

Jeremiah has been Township Clerk one year, and taught school a number of years.

Maggie is a teacher in the Union School at Grand Rapids.

Mr. Lynch has a fine place, a splendid residence, costing over $3,000, and justly takes great pride in his family and the comfort he has established for his declining years.

John Manly, son of John and Salome (Freeman) Manly, was born in Bennington Co., VT, May 11, 1796. He was married there, June 3, 1819, to Thankful J. Nicholson, daughter of John and Olive (Livingston) Nicholson, born in Tinmouth, Rutland Co., Vt., Oct. 6, 1799.

Three of their eight children are living—Edwin, Edmund and Jane.

In 1864 he bought 63 acres on sec. 4, and has 45 improved.

Mrs. Manly died August 18, 1856, and he was married again, Dec. 31, 1856, to Sarah A., daughter of Thomas and Mary Edwards, born in Stonington, Conn., Dec. 8, 1819.

Mr. Manly is a member of the Congregational Church, and has acted as Deacon 46 years.

Benjamin F. Martindale, son of Gray and Mary (Culver) Martindale, was born in Essex Co., N. Y., in 1804. His parents went to Northumberland, Saratoga Co., N. Y., where his father died in 1817, and the family went to Washington County in 1826, and remained there and in Cayuga County until 1844.

Mr. Martindale" worked on a farm until 21, and then learned the trade of a wagon-maker, and in 1825 started business for himself in Cayuga Co., N. Y., coming in 1844 to Grand Rapids.

Two or three years after he opened a wagon shop on Monroe St., and was burned out, and he worked as a journeyman until 1861, when he came to Walker, and settled on 40 acres on section 27, which he bought in 1845.

He has 20 acres under culture.

He was married in Cayuga Co., N. Y., Feb. 28, 1828, to Hester, daughter of Thomas and Susan Grey, born in New Jersey in 1803, and died Nov. 6, 1865.

Of eight children born to them, four are living—Hester, Franklin G., Alice W. and Helen A.

Another son, Abram, was a soldier in the civil war, and rose to the rank of Sergeant.

He died in November, 1880.

Mr. Martindale has held the office of Justice of the Peace seven years; was also Poor Master several years.

Franklin G. Martindale was married at Grand Rapids to Mary Patterson.

They had one son, born in Grand Rapids in 1858.

Mr. Martindale was in the army during the war, and held the rank of Second Lieut., rising to that of Major.

At the termination of the war he settled in North Carolina, where his wife died in 1867.

He was elected State Senator of North Carolina, and did effective work for his constituency, securing an appropriation for a railroad, of which he was afterward a contractor, and instrumental in its completion.

Thomas E. Maynard (deceased), son of Almeron and Caroline (Rickey) Maynard, was born in Meredith, Delaware Co., N. Y., Jan. 27, 1831.

He was married in Harpersfield, Delaware Co., Mar. 28, 1855, to Mary, daughter of Jeffrey C. and Ellis Champlin, born in Kingston, Ulster Co., N. Y., April 30, 1829.

They have two sons, born in Walker—Jeffrey C, May 19, 1857; and Jerome C, Mar. 12, 1859.

They bought 60 acres on sec. 28, Walker tp., in 1858, and now own 180 acres on sections, 20 and 29, with 115 under improvement.

Mr. Maynard was a charter member of Harmony Grange, and belonged to the M. E. Church; was Treasurer three years.

He died Sept. 15, 1877, and was buried in Fulton St. cemetery, at Grand Rapids.

William McNitt, son of Daniel and Jane (Moores) McNitt, was born in Brutus, Cayuga Co., N. Y., in 1823. His father was a native of New York, his mother of New Jersey.

When he was 12 years old his parents moved to Seneca Co., Ohio, where they remained until the demise of the father.

Mr. McNitt came west in 1849 and settled in Wright, Ottawa county, buying 80 acres on sections 24, and now owns 180 acres, same section, with 105 acres in tillage.

In 1868 he bought 30 acres on sections 3, all improved.

A saw-mill had been built on the place some years previous by Joseph Bullen, which burned in 1877.

Mr. McNitt rebuilt it with a flouring mill added.

The latter has two run of stones and the proprietor has an annual trade of about 1,000 bushels, besides the custom trade, which is considerable.

He was married in 1842, in Oakland County, to Sarah G. Hall, who died in 1853.

Mr. McNitt was again married in Alpine in 1864, to Hannah M., daughter of Harvey and Hannah M. (Warner) Wilder, born in New York in 1831.

They have four children, three of whom were born in Wright and one in Walker, as follows:—Walter, Apr. 8, 1857; Sarah E., May 19,1859; William E., Jan. 29, 1863; and Nora M., May 19,1868.

John S. Miller, son of Evi and Laura (Perkins) Miller, was born in Augusta, Oneida Co., N.Y., Jan. 22, 1812. His father was born in Massachusetts, his mother in Connecticut.

His parents moved to Smithfield, Madison Co., N. Y., and at the age of 17, he learned the shoemakers' trade, which he pursued 20 years.

He was married in Hamilton, Madison Co., N. Y., in 1842, to Eunice, daughter of Isaac and Hannah (Louk) Stebbins, born in Lebanon, Madison Co., in 1819.

They have five children, one born in New York, and four in Kent county:—Evi T., Nov. 28, 1843; Mary F., May 27, 1848; Jasper J., Mar. 16, 1854; John E., May 13, 1858; and Estella L., Aug. 8,1863.

Mr. Miller has been Highway Commissioner several years, and belongs to the Masonic brotherhood.

His grandfather was a patriot of the Revolution.

Edward Miner was born in Steuben County, N. Y. in 1825.

His father, Asa B. Miner, was born in Connecticut in June, 1800, and owned a fine stock and dairy farm of 320 acres in Steuben County.

His mother, Ruth (Cotton) Miner, was born in Connecticut in 1804.

Mr. Miner learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed 25 years.

He was married in Yates Co., N. Y., Nov. 27, 1846, to Ann E., daughter of William and Rachel Keech, born in Yates County, June 15, 1826.

Three of their nine children are living—Mary J., Edward G. and Hattie J.

He came to Grand Rapids in 1851 and worked at his trade for Hilton & White.

He remained in the city one year and settled on 80 acres of land in the twp. of Grand Rapids, which he bought in 1847.

At that time all the land north of the freight depot was for sale at $11 per acre.

He soon returned to the city and three years after bought 80 acres on sections 4, to which he has since added 15 acres and has 75 acres improved.

He is a member of the Masonic order and the Grange.

Himself, his wife, son and daughter, Mary, belong to the Baptist Church.

George T. Moore, son of John and Rebecca Moore, was born in Lincolnshire, Eng., in 1823.

He emigrated to the United States in 1842, and settled in Wheatland, Monroe Co., N. Y.

In 1849 he bought 60 acres of land on sec. 21, Walker twp.

It was all in timber when he purchased, and he now has 50 acres improved.

He was married in Wheatland in 1843, to Esther, daughter of Samuel and Mary Smith, born in Scotland in 1823.

They had four children—John R., George L, Mary R. and William W. Mrs. Moore died in 1878.

Mr. Moore has been identified with the advancement of his county and township.

His father was a soldier in the British army and was wounded at the battle of Waterloo, which was the ultimate cause of his death.

David Munro, son of Harvey and Martha (Clark) Munro was born in Upper Canada, near Toronto, in 1825.

His life has been one of adventure, a part of which is related in the sketch of Harry Munro.

At 20 David left home and went to work on a farm at $12 a month; chopped about 15 hours a day for four months on the farm he now owns.

In 1851 he bought 90 acres in Alpine tp., and the next year started for California with William H. Hilton.

They went to Lansing by stage, to Detroit by rail, to Buffalo by stage, and to New York by rail, where they stayed one week and sailed for Panama Isthmus, which they crossed and stayed in the city of Panama two weeks.

About 4,000 people without through tickets were waiting there.

Our travelers sailed in the "Blonde” for San Francisco with 300 passengers and a cargo of coal; were 72 clays on the voyage.

Their capital on reaching San Francisco aggregated $5, and they worked their passage to Sacramento by boat and spent the next summer in the mines with small success.

They separated and Mr. Munro struggled to make a success of his venture to the land of gold.

He returned home at "the end of six years with $3,000, and engaged in farming.

He was married June 3, 1861, to Mary I. Streator, daughter of John and Mary Streator, born in Grand Haven, Apr. 5, 1845.

One child was born in Alpine and two in Walker, as follows:—Edward D.; Aug. 31, 1862; Joseph W., May 24, 1865; and Maria E., Oct. 1, 1873.

In 1865 Mr. Munro sold his place in Alpine and bought 132 acres on sections 5, in Walker; has 80 acres under culture.

His residence and other buildings cost over $3,000. He is a member of the Grange.

Harry B. Munro, the oldest man in the township, son of William and Lydia (Bolt) Munro, was born in Long Island, N. Y., July 9, 1794.

He was married Feb. 29, 1816, in Canada, to Martha, daughter of Moses and Marther (Bill) Clark, born in Franklin, N. Y., Nov. 24, 1791.

They had seven children, five of whom are living. Five were born in Canada, the next two in New York. Their names are —Erastus, Hannah (deceased), Stephen D., Elizabeth, David, Sophia and Charles W.

In 1836 Mr. Munro pre-empted 80 acres on sections 5, 40 of which, all improved, he still owns.

When he brought his family to Michigan they came from East Guillingsburg, 40 miles north of Toronto, driving through with a three-horse team.

They reached Walker Saturday morning, stayed over Sunday with Mr. C. Tabor, cut a half mile of road, built a small log-house and moved into it Tuesday evening.

The eldest son did not come until four years later, and David, a boy of 14 years, was the only assistant.

When the fall came the whole family were sick with the chills except the father.

Mrs. Munro died Aug. 6, 1875. Mr. Munro was a soldier of 1812, and served six months.

 

Daniel O’Neal, son of John and Mary O'Neal, was born in 1816 in Ireland.

He came to the United States in 1836 and was employed in Worcester, Mass., three years on the railroad and public works; worked four winters grading on the Central R. R, in Georgia and on a railroad in New York in summers; went to Chicago to work on the canal, and two years after to Rochester, N. Y., where he was employed two years.

In 1842 he came to Detroit, and a year later bought 80 acres on sec. 8, in Walker.

In 1846 he bought 120 acres in Tallmadge, Ottawa Co., with 100 acres improved.

He was married in 1843 at Monroe, Mich., to Mary, daughter of Dennis Sullivan, born in Ireland.

They have six children—Patrick, Ellen, John, Dennis, Daniel and Mary.

The family is connected with the Roman Catholic Church.

 

Heman Palmerlee,Jr., son of Heman and Nancy (Brooks) Palmerlee, natives of Connecticut, was born in Washington, N. Y., Dec. 3,1820.

His parents came West in 1830, stopping at various points, and finally fixing their residence near Romeo, Macomb Co., where his father died in 1859, and his mother in 1879.

In 1844 he engaged in mercantile pursuits in Oakland County, and in 1850 bought 160 acres of land on sec. 1.

He pursued farming about 20 years and then removed to Grand Rapids and was occupied as bookkeeper chiefly for several years.

In 1878 he accepted the position as Toll Master on the Grand Rapids & Walker Gravel Road.

In the fall of 1880 he was elected as Representative of the 3rd District of Kent County.

Mr. Palmerlee was in the war of the Rebellion one year, as Captain of Comany I., 1st Michigan Engineers and Mechanics, and resigned because of ill health.

He was married in Oakland County in 1844 to Mary, daughter of Almond and Alvira Mack, born in 1827, in Pontiac.

They have two children, born in Walker—Heman M., July 11, 1852, and Mary, Aug. 19, 1867.

Mrs. Palmerlee died in 1876, and Mr. P. was again married, in June, 1877, to Mrs. Mary Northrop, widow of David W. Northrop, and daughter of Orrin and Nancy Stebbins, born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., Oct. 18, 1828.

Her parents were natives of Massachusetts. He is a member of the Odd Fellows' order.

 

Philo T. Peck was born in Monroe Co., N. Y., July 11, 1837; is son of Wm. R. and Lucy Peck.

In the fall of 1848 his parents moved to Grand Rapids, making the trip by the water routes of that period.

The father of Mr. Peck was a carpenter, and he early acquired the details of the trade and has followed it for many years.

He enlisted at Grand Rapids Sept. 9, 1861, in Company F, 2nd Michigan Vol. Cavalry under Captain Peck, and served three years and two months.

He was wounded at Rienzi, Miss., in the right leg, and in the raid at Carter's Station, Tenn., after the battle of Murfreesboro, while tearing up bridges and tracks and capturing the guards for the purpose of cutting oft' rebel reinforcements, he was twice wounded and taken prisoner (Dec. 23,1862).

He was held some weeks at that point and some time at Knoxville, and spent three weeks at Libby.

He was then exchanged, transferred to Annapolis, Md., and finally to Camp Chase, where he spent the summer recuperating.

He participated in the fight at Chattanooga and was discharged at Nashville, Tenn., and came back to Grand Rapids.

He was married in 1867 to Emily A. Fitch, daughter of Nelson Fitch, born in Monroe Co., N. Y., in 1840. They have four children—Herbert M., Susie H., Lucy M. and Grace. Mr. Peck bought 69 acres in Walker in 1874, and has 80 improved.

Amos S. Pettinger was born in Pittsford, N. Y., in 1825; is son of John and Sabrina (Stone) Pettinger.

His father was a farmer and owned 130 acres of land, which at his death was equally divided between Mr. Pettinger and an only sister.

His father died in 1863, his mother in 1838.

He went to Rochester, New York and handled grain three years, and in 1868 settled in Ionia Co., Mich.

He bought 240 acres in Clinton County, and several village lots in Pewamo, and Lyons; kept a flour and feed store, and in 1873 bought 20 acres on sections 11 in Walker, with 10 acres improved.

He has a fine residence; was married in St. John's, Clinton Co., in 1872 to Frankie M., daughter of Edward E. Austin, of Fairport, N. Y., born in Webster, Wayne Co., N. Y., in 1838.

Esquire O. Phillips, son of Abram and Betsey Phillips, was born in Newfane, Niagara Co., N. Y., in 1833. When 17 years old he went to Fort Wayne, Ind., and was employed three years in the survey of the Wabash & Toledo R. R.

After a year at home he learned the carpenter's trade at Grand Rapids, and was in the employ of the D. & M. R. R. Co. as foreman one year, at Saddlebag Swamp, after which he worked in the city.

He was married in 1858 to Mary, daughter of Silas and Susan Hall, born in 1839, at Gun Plains, Allegan county, and came with her parents to Grand Rapids in 1844.

Five children have been born to them—Susan M., Sept. 16,1859; George B., Dec. 4, 1861; Frank, May 25, 1867; Ella M., Nov. 25,1871; and Cora D., Dec. 15,1874.

They were in Denver, Col., in 1859, and returned to Grand Rapids in time for Mr. Phillips to respond to the first call for troops in the Civil War.

He enlisted in 1861 in the 3rd Reg., Mich. Vol. Inf., Co. B, Capt. Baker Bordon.

It was an independent artillery company, and was in the first battle of Bull Run.

Mr. Phillips was discharged at the end of six months at Camp Lyon, Va., and re-enlisted in Co. B, 1st Reg., Mich. Engineers and Mechanics.

The regiment left for Louisville, Ky., Dec. 17, 861.

He was with it every day until discharged at Chattanooga, Tenn.; was appointed Orderly Sergeant of Co. B by Col. W. P. Innes.

He went to Nashville, Tenn., in the employ of the U. S. Government; returned at the end of a year and was associated with Wheeler, Borden & Co. in a sash, door and blind factory, at Grand Rapids.

Four years after he bought 56 acres on sec. 23, in Walker.

Twenty-five acres are cleared and 15 set to fruits of all kinds. Mr. Phillips is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the County and Subordinate Granges, the Old Settlers' Society, and the G. A. R, Champlain Post.

Mrs. Phillips' parents were among the very early settlers of Grand Rapids.

They were natives of New York, the former of English and the latter of German descent.

Mr. Hall built the first frame house on the west side of the river, which is still standing and in a good state of preservation. It is opposite the dam on Front Street.

Mr. Hall died in 1874, aged 65, and Mrs. H. died in 1867, aged 55.

We present Mr. Phillips' portrait in this volume.

Peter Rusche, son of Anthony and Eva Rusche, was born in Grand Rapids in 1S50, and eight years later his parents moved to Alpine, where they still reside.

He was married in 1876 to Louisa, daughter of John and Tracey Platter, born in Alpine in 1856

They have two children—Fred A. and Eva C.

Mr. Rusche came to Walker in 1878, and bought 40 acres on sec. 1, all of which is under improvement.

Cornelius P. Schermerhorn, son of Daniel and Nancy A. (Wall) Schermerhorn, was born in Walsingham, Canada West, Dec. 12, 1828.

He came to Walker in 1848 with his parents, three brothers and six sisters.

His father bought 160 acres on sec. 22, of which Mr. S. bought 60 acres, and now has 40 acres under improvement.

He was married in Tallmadge, Ottawa Co., in 1853, to Maria, daughter of John E. and Melissa Rice, born in Tallmadge in 1835.

Of four children three are living—Fred, Frank and Clara.

Mrs. S. died in March, 1861.

Mr. S. was married a second time in Wright, Ottawa Co., September, 1869, to Sarah, daughter of Francis and Rhoda Stout, born in Franklin, Lenawee Co., in 1841.

They have two children, born in Walker—Marietta, in 1870, and Elizabeth A., in 1875.

Mr. S. enlisted in Tallmadge in the fall of 1864 in Co. B, 10th Mich. Cavalry, Capt. Thomas, and was discharged in Chattanooga, Tenn., at the close of the war.

He is a Granger, and has been Road Commissioner three years.

George Smith (deceased), son of Elijah and Catherine (Rymal) Smith, was born in Ancaster, Canada, in 1826.

His parents bought a farm in Alpine in 1846.

Mr. Smith bought 140 acres, and brought it to a finely improved condition, with 100 acres cleared, substantial and handsome buildings, 10 acres of orchards, etc.

He sold it in 1870, and bought 20 acres on sec. 22 in Walker, with 12 acres of peach, pear and cherry trees, a market garden, with hot houses for flower culture, etc.

The buildings are handsomely constructed, and worth about $5,000.

Mr. Smith died Nov. 30, 1873, and was buried in Greenwood Cemetery, in Walker.

He was a member of the M. E. Church, acted as Steward, Trustee and Class Leader, made his house the home of the itinerant ministry in the early times, and contributed liberally to the building of several churches.

He married in 1854 Sarah, daughter of Joseph and Betsey (Tyler) Escott, born near New York City in 1834.

They had one child—William H., born in Alpine, July 24, 1858.

Mr. Escott came to Kent County in 1837; lived three years in Grand Rapids, and bought 80 acres in Walker on the gravel road three miles from the city.

When the infirmity of advanced age came on they sold their farm, and found a home with their son, Joseph T. Escott, then Sheriff of Mecosta County, living at Big Rapids.

Mrs. Escott died Oct. 29, 1879.

Jacob A. Smith was born in Tioga Co., N. Y., in 1827.

His parents, William and Polly Smith, settled in this twp. in 1856, where his father died in 1867, and his mother in 1866.

Mr. Smith was brought up to his father's calling of farmer, which he has followed continuously and successfully, and owns 160 acres of the old homestead.

He was married in New York in 1852 to Lucy, daughter of John and Howill Sexton.

She is a native of New York.

They have four children— Denton A., William J., Ettie and Lowell.

Mr. Smith is considered one of the solid, substantial farmers of the twp. P. O., Sparta Center.

John Stewart was born in Essex Co., Canada West, in 1817; is son of James and Margaret (Fulmer) Stewart, the former a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1794, the latter born in Canada.

Mr. Stewart was married in 1835 to Semantha Randall, born in New York in 1817.

They have four children—Margaret, Heroin, Sylvester J. and Celestia.

Mr. Stewart moved to Hillsdale Co., Mich., in 1837, and a year later returned to Canada.

In 1844 he went to Vergennes, and a year later came to Walker.

In 1850 he bought 40 acres on sec. 11, then in timber, and still owns 29 acres, with 20 improved.

Mr. Stewart is a Granger.

During the Canadian difficulties of '37 he was "pressed" into the British service, and did military duty six months.

 

Henry G. Stone was born in Paris, Oneida Co., N. Y., Jan. 5, 1818.

He is son of Henry and Permelia (Phelps) Stone.

His mother died when he was a few weeks old, and his father married Sylvia Phelps, sister of his first wife, born Mar. 7, 1810.

His father was born in Providence, R. I, Aug 6, 1791, and his mother Feb. 24, 1797.

Father was a lineal descendant of an immigrant to the American shores, who came across the Atlantic soon after the famous voyage of the “Mayflower.''

Mrs. S. is a descendant of a Mr. Barnes, who came over in that celebrated vessel.

They went from Genesee County to Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence Co., and three years later to Ann Arbor, where they settled in 1833.

In January, 1839, Mr. Stone came to Grand Rapids, and exchanged 80 acres in Eaton County for an interest in a lot in joint ownership with his father, of which a part is included in Campau Square.

His father became involved and the property was exchanged for four lots above Comstock's Mills on Canal Street, corner Mason, Nos. 441, '42, '52, '53.

Mr. Stone exchanged lot 441 for the site of his present residence.

He had previously purchased 40 acres adjoining on sec. 23, and now owns 35 acres just outside the city limits.

His residence is a fine brick one, costing about $5,000.

He also owns one lot on Scribner Street, block 20, and 40 acres in Barry County.

He was married at Grand Rapids, Jan. 5, 1845, to Nancy Barnes, daughter of Jacob and Nancy (Winslow) Barnes, born in Waterbury, Vt., in 1827.

They had nine children, four of whom are living.

Seven were born in Grand Rapids, and two in Walker, in the following order—Albert H., Nov. 14, 1845, died Oct. 12,1848; Ella M., May 9, 1849, died Aug. 22, 1853; Julia A., Oct. 28, 1850, died Aug. 18, 1876; Frank A., Feb 19, 1854; Anna M., March 29, 1857, died Aug. 10,1858; John M., Dec. 16,1859, died Oct. 21,1869; James B., Oct. 1, 186L; Ruth P., Dec. 5,1865; Fleda M., Sept. 19, 1867.

Mr. Stone has also in his family the son of his daughter Julia, born May 30, 1874, at Appleton, Wis.

Mrs. Stone's parents were pioneers in this county; came in November, 1836, to Grand Rapids.

Jacob Barnes was born April 24, 1798.

Mr. and Mrs. Stone are members of the Methodist Church.

Mr. Stone had but $100 when he commenced life for himself, and that he earned by working in a foundry.

He and his father started the first successful foundry in the city of Grand Rapids, where they were in partnership a number of years

Lyman D. Swan, son of Lyman and Melissa Swan, was born in Augusta, Oneida Co., N. Y., September 13, 1827.

His parents removed to Madison Co., N. Y., and at the age of 19 he paid his father $225 freedom money, and with $25 he left home to seek his own fortune.

He was married at 22 in Madison, Feb. 22, 1850, to Martha Fish.

They had five children, three of whom are living—Sarah, George and Emma.

He bought 26 acres in Madison, which he sold a few months after at an advance of $210 on the purchase money besides a horse and farming tools.

He then bought a farm nearby, paying $600 and mortgaging for the balance of $600.

He engaged in raising hops and making cider. "He sold at the end of three years and made abo 1 $2,000.

He then bought a dairy farm which he sold at the expiration of one year, making $1,000.

His next venture was at Lebanon, where he bought a shoe store, dry-goods, etc., and built a tannery, selling in three years at a clear profit of $2,000.

Another farm which he purchased near Hamilton and managed three years he sold, making $3,000.

In March, 1863, he bought U8 acres on sec, 1, Walker tp.

He now has 132 acres with 80 improved.

His wife died and he was married again April 2, 1864, to Anna Hamlin, born in Troy, N. Y., in 1841.

Marcius Taber was born in New York in 1833, the son of Eleazer and Ann Taber, who emigrated to this county in October, 1837.

After spending six months in Grand Rapids they settled on sec. 5 of Walker tp., where they resided the rest of their days.

He died in 1854 at the age of 56, and she in 1875, aged 84.

Of the four children brought with them to this county, Marcius was the youngest, who embarked in life with but little assistance or capital save industrious and economical habits, by which he has gained a comfortable independence.

In 1863 he married Maria Clark, who was born March 14, 1845, in this county, the daughter of Erabtus and Hannah Phillips the former of English ancestry and the latter of German; they settled in this county in 1837, or '38, on sec. 33, Alpine tp., where they remained until about 15 years ago, when they moved to Grand Rapids.

Mr. Phillips died in 1880, at the age of 76; the widow is still living, with her daughter, Mrs. K. J. Brown. Mrs. T. had one sister and three brothers, all older than herself.

Mr. Tabor's portrait may be found on another page of this volume.

William Thomas, son of John and Mary (Sweet) Thomas, was born near Saratoga Springs in 1823.

Two years later his parents went to Orleans Co., N. Y. Eleven years after they went to Genesee county, and two years later to Richland Co., O.

In 1847 they settled in Sparta. Mr. Thomas came to this township in 1850 and bought 40 acres of forest on sec. IS, to which he has added 40 more, and now has 85 under improvement.

He was married in Ohio in 1844 to Lydia E., daughter of Derrick and Abigail Brown, born in Cato, Cayuga Co., N. Y., in 1829.

They have seven children—Geo. A., Wm. A., Francis A., Maynard D., Martin E., Harriet E. and Sherman B. The grandfather of Mr. Thomas was in the war of the Revolution.

Dennis Van Donge, son of John and Cornelia (Tak) Van Donge, was born in Holland in 1835.

In 1845 his parents came to the United States and settled in Cleveland, Ohio, and four years after (in 1850) to Grand Rapids, Mich.

In 1853 he bought 60 acres on sec. 19.

His father died in January, 1877, and his mother in May, 1874.

The land at the time of the purchase was all in timber, and about 50 acres have been placed under good improvement.

He was married Nov. 8, 1865, to Martha A., daughter of George and Fanny (Carpenter) Finch, born in Macomb County in 1843.

They have four children, born in Walker as follows: Emma, Aug. 21, 1866; Jennie, February, 1868; Ella, Feb. 9, 1872, and George, Jan. 21, 1874.

Mr. Van Donge is a Granger and has been Constable several years.

Joseph Waite, son of William and Annie (Brown) Waite was born in Norwich, Chenango Co., N.Y. , in 1813.

At 19 he learned carpentering, which he has made his business thus far through life.

He was married in 1853 to Mary A., daughter of James and Mary Weeden, born in Otsego Co., N. Y., in 1814.

Five of eight children are living—Luke W., Ferdinand F., Charlotte E., James D. and Frank J.

Mr. Waite bought 240 acres on sections 11 and 12 in May, 1845, and now owns 45 acres on sections 10, all improved.

His shop, situated on his place, is fitted with the necessary fixtures for turning all kinds of woodwork.

 

Thomas Walsh, son of Thomas and Mary (Fogarty) Walsh, was born in Ireland in 1813.

He came to the United States when 26 years old and after a few months stay in New York he came to Grand Rapids in 1844 and was employed about the city two years.

In 1851 he bought 60 acres on sec. 19, Walker tp., of which 55 acres are improved.

He was married in 1851 in Grand Rapids to Mary A., daughter of John and Margaret Allen, born in Ireland in 1832.

Samuel Westlake, son of David C. and Rachel (Waters) Westlake, was born in 1821 in New York.

He was employed in the woolen factory of his father until he was 21. Sept. 20. 1842, he came to Michigan with his parents and settled on 133 acres on sec. 6, which he had purchased three years previously.

His father died in February, 1843, and his mother in November, 1863, soon after which he lost a brother and two sisters, their deaths occurring at intervals of-two weeks only.

He was married in February, 1843, to Nancy, daughter of John and Cyrena Hogadone born in Canada 1819.

They had two children, born in Walker - Martha E., in February, 1851, and Mary F., in January, 1845, and died in March, 1866.

In 1849 he bought 80 acres of timber land on sec. 19, 60 of which is under cultivation.

Mr. Westlake is Local Elder in the M. E. Church. He was licensed at 19 years of age, and ordained about 16 years ago.

He has been Chaplain of Harmony Grange, Walker, ever since its organization, and was Chaplain of the County Grange one year.

He belongs to the Old Settlers' Association, and has held the twp. - Offices of Treasurer and Poor Master.

 

Jones M. White, first settler in the twp., was born in Palmyra, N. Y., in 1818.

His parents, Samuel and Lydia (Morgan) White, went to London District, Oxford Co., Can., when he was a small boy.

They were natives of New York, the former born April 1, 1781, the latter, Oct. 26, 1793.

The White family claim to have descended from Peregrine White, the first white child born in America.

In December, 1836, they came to Kent County with a team of six yoke of oxen, and spent New Year's day at Gull Prairie, and in the spring of 1837 settled in Walker, where the senior White took up 160 acres on sec. 23, and continued to buy land until he owned about 400 acres.

On the west side of the river there was yet no trace of civilization, and Mr. White cut the first road and drove the first team into the wilderness of Walker tp.

The family numbered nine persons, four sons and three daughters.

The father was a practical miller, and his sons acquired a knowledge of the business, that proved useful in a new country, and the eldest stopped at Gull Prairie to work in a mill.

They brought 18 head of cattle with them, and took up their quarters in an Indian hut on the river bank, where the whole family sickened with the measles except Mr. White of this sketch, who took care of the stock, brought lumber from Mill creek eight miles up the river, rafted it down, drew it out to the claim and built the cabin.

The father died in Walker, March 4, 1873; the mother, May 29, 1875.

In 1840 Mr. White bought 80 acres on sec. 10, at $25 per acre.

He now owns 120 acres with 75 under cultivation.

He was married in Walker, Sept. 12, 1811, to Temperance, daughter of Luther and Jemima Mudge, born in New York in 1820.

Their seven children were born in Walker—Charles, Lydia, Adelaide, Florence, Mary, James and Nellie Mr. White has been Highway Commissioner eight years, and Overseer of the Poor four years.

 

Samuel White, brother of the foregoing, was born in Canada in 1829.

Indians were plenty and Mr. White, jr., became a proficient in their language.

He was married in Ionia County, in 1852, and again in 1877 to Mrs. Mary J. Sehill, born in Canada in 1838.

Mr. White has two children—Isadore M. and Frederick E.

He bought 80 acres in Walker, 14 of the State in early life, and has 35 of his father's estate all improved.

He enlisted at Grand Rapids in 1861, in the old 3d Reg. Michigan Vol. INF., Capt. Borden; was the first volunteer from Walker; was discharged in April, 1863, for disability, and in June following re-enlisted in the 10th Mich. Cav., Capt. A Stevenson; served nearly two years, when the regiment was discharged. Mr. White attained the rank of Second Lieutenant.

He is running a large steam cider-mill on sec. 23.

 

Warren Willard, son of John H. and Fidelia (Cleveland) Willard, was born in Ohio July 14, 1829.

His father was born in Pawlet, Rutland Co., Vt., Oct. 8, 1790; his mother was a native of the same place, born June 9, 1793.

In 1837 they went to Shalersville, 30 miles southeast of Cleveland, and bought 50 acres of land, which they exchanged eight years after for 80 acres on sec. 6, this twp.

It was in the midst of the forest, and worth $2.50 per acre.

The family lived with Mr. S. Fuller two weeks, while their log house was being built, and they had the same privations and perplexities to endure that marks the history of the pioneers of Kent county during the early years.

The senior Willard died July 30, 1872, and his wife July 26, 1877.

They left two sons —Warren and Henderson.

The former purchased his brother's interest in the homestead, and now has 60 acres under improvement.

He was married in Orleans, Ionia Co., Mich., June 19, 1854, to Miranda C, daughter of Samuel and Elvira (Maine) Bement, born in Cortland, N. Y., Feb. 27, 1831.

They have two children, born in Tallmadge, Ottawa Co.—Melvin W., Oct. 22, 1857, and Bertha L. Oct. 21, 1859.

Benjamin F. Woodman, son of D:. Joseph and Sarah (Wright) Woodman, was born in Jefferson Co., N. Y., Dec. 13, 1822.

His parents came to Novi, Oakland Co., in 1837, and were among the earliest pioneers of that section. Five years later he bought 130 acres of timber land in Ionia County, of which he cleared 80 acres, selling in 1853, when he bought 120 acres on secions 9 and 4, in Walker, of which 90 acres are in tillage.

He was married in Ionia County in 1847, to Rhoda B., daughter of Asa and Electa (Strong) Lee, born in New York, Feb, 16, 1830.

They have four children, two of whom were born in Ionia and two in Walker, as follows: Lewis C, Sept. 25, 1847; Sarah A, Sept. 25, 1849; Eva L., April 9, 1859; and Carrie A., Nov. 5, 1864.

Mr. Woodman's second marriage was June 2, 1874, to Lydia L. Crumb, born in Otsego Co., N. Y., in 1826. He has been School Inspector six years, Highway Commissioner two years, and is a member of the Masonic order.

Dr. Joseph Woodman was born March 5, 1785, and died Aug. 15, 1838.

Mrs. Woodman, his wife, was born Sept, 29, 1795.

They had six children, Mr. W., of this sketch, being the fourth.

The mother was a native of Deerfield, Mass., and lived there at the period of the Indian massacre, in which her father was involved.

Ephraim Woodard, son of Joshua and Sophia Woodard, was born in Genesee Co. N. Y., May 29, 1827.

His parents moved to Orleans Co., N. Y., when he was seven years old, and one year later to Erie county. In the fall of 1836 they settled iu Oakland Co., Mich., and in 1845 bought 80 acres of wild land in Walker, on sec. 7.

Apologies for roads were in existence, but so poor that the Highway Commissioner himself lost his way, and on one occasion was found half a mile south of where the route was laid, and the Woodards had to clear two and a half miles to their farm.

Mr. Woodard has a fine farm with 50, acres improved.

He was married in Tyrone in 1850 to Abigail, daughter of Ephraim and Abigail Brott, born in Genesee Co., N. Y., in 1833.

They have six children, born in Walker—Charles, Dulcey B., Frank, Bertha A., Fred and Winnie.

Mr. Woodard has been Highway Commissioner six years, and is a Granger.

His father, Joshua Woodard, died in 1852, and his mother married Frank Blood, a pioneer of Walker, and died in January, 1869.

Jeremiah S. Wright, deceased, son of Solomon and Mary Wright, was born in Wolcott, Wayne Co., N. Y., in 1828.

His parents are among the first settlers in Alpine, where they located in 1837.

Mr. Wright was engaged for a period of 16 years in the sale of agricultural implements on Bridge Street, Grand Rapids, and owned 80 acres on sections 27, in this twp.

He married in 1878 Mrs. Mary Patterson, daughter of Joel and Margaret Churchill, born in Cayuga Co., N. Y, in 1844.

Mr. Wright died Jan. 26, 1880.

Mrs. Wright's parents came to Grand Rapids when she was nine years old.

Her father was born in 1813, and lives with her in Walker; her mother was born in 1826, and died in 1839.

She has one son by her first husband, William A. Patterson, born in Grand Rapids, Aug. 28, 1863.

Mr. Wright had four children by a former marriage—Andrew, Addison, Valeria and Estella.

Mrs. Wright is in possession of 50 acres of her husband's estate, all improved.

Noadiah C. Wright, son of Solomon and Mary (Boyce) Wright, was born in Wayne Co., N. Y., April 5, 1822.

His parents came West when he was 14, and stopped several months in Toledo, Ohio, where his father bought a team and employed it profitably during the winter, making his way Westward in the spring.

He left his family in Jackson County, near Jacksonburg, and proceeded with his household goods and 50 bushels of potatoes on a scow down the Grand River, and landed at North's Landing, now Plumb's Mills. In September Mr. Wright came across the country with an ox team.

His father had pre-empted 480 acres for himself and sons, Solomon and Benjamin, on the line between Walker and Alpine, on sections 32 and 33 Alpine twp.

The Baptist and Congregational churches are situated on this tract.

The senior Wright sold 160 acres to P. F. Covell, and moved across the road into Walker tp., and bought 120 acres on sec. 4, where he died in June, 1845, and his wife three years later.

Mr. Wright took possession of his present farm in 1865.

He owns 212 acres on sections 22 and 15, and 20 acres of woodland on sec. 33, Alpine tp., with 195 acres under cultivation.

He has three houses, four barns and two large orchards on his homestead.

His property has been acquired by his own unaided efforts, and he values his farm at $200 per acre.

His residence, with barn, cost $3,300, and the place is well watered with springs.

He was married at Grand Rapids, Oct. 11,1842, to Ann, daughter of Eleazer C. and Ann (Walbridge) Tabor, natives of Ithaca, N. Y.

Mrs. Wright was born in the same place April 3, 1830, Three of four children, born in Walker, are living —Milo, April 6, 1852; Emmagene, in August, 1854; and Parker, in October, 1856.

Mr. Wright was a resident of Grand Rapids a number of years, was Constable nine years, and owns two houses and lots, corner of Leonard and Scribner streets, valued at $2,500.