HISTORY AND DIRECTORY OF KENT COUNTY

This township lies north of Bowne, and south of Vergennes.

Grand-River-Bridge-at-Grand-Trunk-Depot-Lowell-Michigan

Grand-River-Bridge-at-Grand-Trunk-Depot-Lowell-Michigan

Pere-Marquette-RR-Bridge-Lowell-Michigan-1915

Pere-Marquette-RR-Bridge-Lowell-Michigan-1915

It is one of the eastern tiers of townships in Kent county, being bounded on the east by Boston, Ionia County, and on the west by the township of Cascade.

A-day-on-the-lowell-backwater

A-day-on-the-lowell-backwater

The images below are of "Island Park" - wouldn't it be nice to bring the park back to Lowell?

EARLY-VIEW-OF-ISLAND-PARK-AT-LOWELL-MI

EARLY-VIEW-OF-ISLAND-PARK-AT-LOWELL-MI

ISLAND-PARK-LOWELL-MICHIGAN-1909

ISLAND-PARK-LOWELL-MICHIGAN-1909

Michigan-1910-LOWELL-Island-Park-Scene

Michigan-1910-LOWELL-Island-Park-Scene

MI-LOWELL-ISLAND-PARK-1910

MI-LOWELL-ISLAND-PARK-1910

Its soil, timber and productions are greatly diversified.

Lowell-Michigan-Bridge-Street-Looking-East-1907

Lowell-Michigan-Bridge-Street-Looking-East-1907

The soil of the south half is mostly clay or loam, lies very high, and is generally level and well adapted to farming purposes, and on account of its elevation, an excellent fruit section.

Lowell-Michigan-Farmers-Delivering-at-Mill-1908

Lowell-Michigan-Farmers-Delivering-at-Mill-1908

The north half is considerably broken; by Grand River, which crosses the township from east to west, at an average distance of one mile from the north line, and Flat River, which comes in from Vergennes, on the north, and enters the Grand River about one and one half miles west from the county line, of Kent and Ionia counties.

A Pleasant Drive Along the Flat River in Lowell, Michigan

The river bottoms, from half a mile to a mile in width, are heavily timbered with elm, ash, soft maple, etc., and when cleared make good meadow lands.

MICHIGAN-LOWELL-CUTTER-FACTORY

MICHIGAN-LOWELL-CUTTER-FACTORY

Next back of these bottoms, on either side, rise the sand and clay bluffs, which line these streams throughout the greater part of their course in the county. In some places they rise to the height of nearly 200 feet, and are usually covered with oak, some time quite heavy, but in other places only what is commonly known as “openings," the timber being light, and the ground covered with a small growth of oak, interspersed with hazel, and other shrub.

These bluffs, somewhat broken by many small brooks which come in from both sides, extend back an average of about a mile on each aide, which, on the north side brings us about to the township line, and on the south to the high level tract before mentioned.

The latter is partially watered by some small lakes, the largest of which is Pratt Lake, covering about 300 acres on the north part of section 25, near the east line of the township, and about three miles south of Grand River.

It is named in honor of William Pratt, who settled on the north side of it, about the year 1850.

Barcis, or McEwing Lake, on the east part of section 32, is nearly one mile in length, but quite narrow, its greatest width being leas than 80 rods.

It extends from the northeast to southwest.

On the northwest corner of the same section is a pond of about ten acres, called Morse Lake.

Between them, and on the south part of the same section, is a small lily pond, hardly to be called a lake.

Stoughton Lake is a small lake of 4 or 5 acres, near the center of section 35, and has a tamarack swamp of about 20 acres on the east of it.

There is also a small lake of 3 or 4 acres, and a swamp of about 15 acres on the south side of section 29.

A swamp of some 300 or 400 acres lies west of Pratt Lake, on section 26.

On the south side of section 83, and extending over the line into Bowne, is a fine marsh of about 40 acres.

From Pratt Lake and the swamp already mentioned, to this marsh is a ravine through which is a stream of water in wet seasons, but which dries away in ordinary weather, leaving the lake without any visible outlet.

The people along the line have recently petitioned the County Drain Commissioner to open this natural water course deep enough to form a living stream, to the south line of Lowell township, from which it would flow into a small stream which runs to Thornapple River.

Aside from the sources already mentioned, and some few smaller ponds and swamps, water can only be obtained in this part of the township by digging a depth of 50 to 140 feet.

The timber of this southern part was originally sugar maple and beech, interspersed with very large red and white oak.

This township is well supplied with stone for building purposes, and in some port8 they are need to some extent for fencing, especially in the northwest corner of the township, and various other places north of Grand River.

Fine gravel beds also abound throughout the north part, and the soil is quite gravelly along the road leading down the river from Lowell village.

PIONEERS.

Daniel Marsac

In the year 1829, Daniel Marsac (Whose wife was the sister of Louis Campau) came from Detroit, and went among the Indians in the vicinity of the present village of Lowell, as a trader, although a regular trading post was not established until 1831, when Mr. Marsac built a log hut on the south side of Grand River, near the present site of J. Kopf & Co.'s extensive chair works.

What changes a few years have made!

Lowell-MI-Grand-River-Early-1900s

Lowell-MI-Grand-River-Early-1900s

When Mr. Marsac first pitched his tent within the borders of Kent county, then an almost unbroken wilderness, the only roads were the Indian trails, and the only means of navigation was the canoe, or Dug out," as it was sometimes called ; or, for more extensive transportation, a raft made of poles, or small logs, fastened together.

We do not need to speak of the railroads and other facilities for travel now, as the reader can easily compare the present with the past.

In the spring of 1835, a family by the name of Robinson, numbering in all 44, persons, set out from the State of New York, and arriving at Detroit, embarked on a small vessel for Grand Haven via Mackinaw.

On the 7th day of June of that year they reached the mouth of Grand River, and, putting their household goods, etc., on rafts, and “paddling their own canoes," made their way up the river and settled in Kent and Ottawa counties, principally the latter, in the vicinity of Blendon.

These were only a part of the Robinsons.

Rix Robinson (cousin of the Rathbuns, owners of the Rathbun House in Grand Rapids) had been trading with the Indians at Thornapple, now called Ada, for several years previous to this, and had one son by the squaw whom he had taken for a wife soon after he came there.

A year later, in 1836, another brother, named Lewis, came with his family and settled on the west bank of Flat River, in the south part of what is now the village of Lowell.

He was soon followed by Rodney, a brother from the Blendon settlement, who remained one year with Lewis, and then removed up the river into the present township of Vergennes, where he and another brother, Lucas, have made good farms.

Philander Tracy - a relative of the Robinson family, who now resides at Grand Rapids, and is generally known as Judge Tracy, also came from the State of New York, and was for some time with Lewis Robinson.

The timber for their first log hut was cut two or three miles up Flat River, and floated down by the help of Indians, who were always friendly to those who need them well.

There were good and bad Indians, as well as good and bad whites.

One Indian, named Negake, who was not, however, a member of either of the tribes then occupying the portion of the State, but a renegade from some Eastern tribe, who had taken up his abode with the Pottawattamies caused the whites some trouble, and was reported to have killed one of the Government Surveyors some years previous, when an attempt was made to survey and throw into market all lands up to the 43 degree of latitude, which parallel cut across a bend in the river in this township, and took a strip about a mile in width on the north side, to which survey the Indians objected.

Subsequently the river was made the frontier line, and no lands north of the river were put into market until August, 1839.

A tract of land lying on the east side of Flat River, was set apart as University lands.

In 1836, Luther Lincoln, from Grand Rapids, formerly from the south part of the State, where he had been quite a wealthy man, came and settled on a small lot of this university land, and built a log house, which was afterwards used by Don A. Marvin, as a tavern Mr. Lincoln and Rodney and Lucas Robinson, helped the Indians to fence in a tract of about 100 acres, on the east side of the Flat River, and about one mile from Grand River, for a planting ground, to prevent any trouble on account of their letting their cattle run at large on “Uncle Sam’s Domain”, as the cattle would have been likely to destroy their crops, and this would naturally have led to hostilities.

lowell-michigan-indianslowell-michigan-indians

Mr. Rodney Robison states that the Indians were usually good neighbors, and even Mr. Lincoln - whose mind was somewhat wandering, and consequently led him into some trouble with the early white settlers, always got along finely with the Indians, and when, on account of some unpleasantness" with the whites he was obliged to leave this point, he went up the river a long distance and erected a saw mill, right in the midst of the Indian country.

They were often employed to work for the early white settlers, and generally well paid, although it was usually best to pay them in provisions and other necessaries, rather than in money, for, if they got money, many of them would go off to places where they could get liquor, and come home drunk, when they would be quarrelsome and dangerous neighbors, until the firewater and it’s effects were gone.

No liquor was allowed to be sold to them in this vicinity if the settlers could prevent it, although itinerant tandem would sometimes undertake to sell it to them in order to make it easier to cheat them in their trades.

1907-Country-Road-at-Lowell-Michigan

1907-Country-Road-at-Lowell-Michigan

In 1837, Charles Newton, Matthew Patrick, Samuel P. Rolf, Ira A. Danes, William Vandeusen and Mr.  Francisco - nearly all of whom were from New York, settled along the north side of Grand River, on the old Grand River Road, from two to five miles west of Flat River.

This road came from Ionia, by the way of Fallasburg - at which point the first bridge was built a across the Flat River, in 1840, previous to which the river was forded - and passed about two miles west of the mouth of the river, thence along down Grand River, near the side of the bluffs.

white-s-covered-bridge-smyrna-mi

white-s-covered-bridge-smyrna-mi

Lowell-MI-1950s-25th-YEAR-SS-ROBERT-E-LEE

Lowell-MI-1950s-25th-YEAR-SS-ROBERT-E-LEE

Caroline Beard Page wife of Caleb Dexter Page

The following bit of school romance is introduced without any apology: In 1837 the people of this vicinity organized a School District, including all the settlers on Flat River, and being the only School District between Grand Rapids and Ionia.

They erected a log school house in 1838, in the north part of the present village, on the west side of Flat River, and employed Miss Caroline Beard (See image below), from New York State, to teach the first school that summer.

The following winter the district furnished a cook-stove and provisions, and Miss Beard lived in the school house and kept the school.

Caleb D. Page, who had taken up a piece of land near the Fallassburg of later days, took matrimony into his head and Miss B. to his heart, and the bonds of wedlock were entered into by this couple in the school house.

Page, Caleb Dexter - born Aug.31,1809 Vermont, died May 4,1854 - Pioneer of Vergennes Twp. 
 
Page, Caroline Beard Page wife of Caleb Dexter Page; born Oct.13,1809 Connecticut, died Aug.__,1863 
-Teacher of the 1st school within the corporation of Lowell, when it was an Indian village known as "The Mouth"
The headstone in this image is from the Foxes Corners Cemetery north of Lowell.

In 1839, William B. Lyon and Ransom Rolf, also from New York, settled on the same road, near those previously mentioned.

At the time of the sale of lands in this tract, (previously mentioned as occurring in August, 1839) the Indians attempted to enter and hold the land they had been tilling, under the pre-emption laws, but, as the agent knew nothing about whether the red man could hold land by those laws, the matter was referred to the General Land office, and, while waiting the decision, Philander Tracy attempted to gain possession by erecting a small hut on it, and sowing the field to oats, which were destroyed by the Indians.

His papers which had been granted were afterward revoked, and, although the decision was that Indians could not enter lands in their own name, they lent money to a Frenchman by the name of Nontah, and he bought the land, and afterward, failing to pay back the money, he gave them a deed of it.

The lands were afterward found to be a part of the “University Grant," and so also was the land taken by Lincoln.

When Mr. L. left here, he sold his claim to Daniel Marsac, who, in 1847, platted it under the name of "the village of Dansville," which name it retained until about the year 1855.

In 1850 Mr. M. sold his claims to Edwin Avery, of Ionia, who then paid the State and obtained a complete title to the same.

John B. Shear and some others, came in about the year 1844, and settled in or near the present village of Lowell.

In December, 1846, Cyprian S. Hooker, formerly from Connecticut, came from Saranac, Ionia County, where he had been a pioneer and almost the only settler.

Mr. Hooker erected the first framed house in the township, which was also the first in the village.

His lumber was brought from Saranac.

Logs-floating-into-Lowell-Michigan-from-the-north

Logs-floating-into-Lowell-Michigan-from-the-north

He commenced his house on the 18th day of December, 1846, and on the ensuing Christmas moved into it with his family.

This would be called quick work even in these days of steam and electricity.

Said house is the one now owned and occupied by Robert Marshall.

In 1847 Mr. Hooker erected the grist mill on the east side of the Flat River, now owned and since enlarged by William W. Hatch, who erected another large mill on the west side of the river in 1867.

Downtown Lowell looking West from near Lowell Granite Company

When Mr. Hooker erected his mill it was run by an overshot water-wheel-water being brought by means of a race, a distance of about 40 rods from the Island in Flat River.

In 1849, Mr. Hooker constructed the dam across the river just below Bridge Street.

In 1849, the first sermon ever preached in Dansville, was delivered at the house of C. S. Hooker, Esq., by Rev. S. S. Brown, a Congregational Minister.

Mr. Hooker also had the job of building the first frame school house in the village, which was the first in the east part of the county.

It was built in 1850 and stood on the present M. E. Church site.

Soon after this a Sunday School was established by the agent of the Congregational Union Society.

1908-Main-St-Lowell-Michigan

1908-Main-St-Lowell-Michigan

The Lowell post office was established about the year 1848, and took its name from the township, which was organized about this time, and which seems to have been named on account of its prospects as a manufacturing point, although the village was still called Dansville.

1908-2nd-Main-Street-Lowell-Michigan

1908-2nd-Main-Street-Lowell-Michigan

After Mr. Avery bought Mr. Marsac's claim, he added some territory to the original plat, making in all about 100 acres. In 1854 Messrs.

Main-St-Looking-East-Lowell-Michigan

Main-St-Looking-East-Lowell-Michigan

1930 Main Street Looking East (The New Lowell Arts Council Building on the Left) LOWELL Michigan
1930 Main Street Looking East (The New Lowell Arts Council Building on the Left) LOWELL Michigan

Richards & Wickham platted nearly 100 acres on the west side of Flat River, which they named LOWELL.

1911-Main-Street-Lowell-Michigan-looking-from-the-dam-to-the-west

1911-Main-Street-Lowell-Michigan-looking-from-the-dam-to-the-west

1911-Main-Street-Looking-West-from-Bridge-Lowell-Michigan

1911-Main-Street-Looking-West-from-Bridge-Lowell-Michigan

About the same time Chapin & Booth's addition to the village of Dansville was platted, containing about 30 acres, and lying on the east of the original plat, but within a year, by common consent, the whole village was called Lowell, since which the following additions have been platted, and called Additions to the Village of Lowell;

Fox’s Addition, lying north of R. & W.'s plat on the west side Flat River, containing 52 acres, platted by James S. Fox.

Lee’s Addition, on the north of Avery's plot, east of Flat River, containing 48 acres, platted by Peter Lee in 1868.

Snell’s Addition, on the west and south of R. & W.'s addition, containing about 50 acres, platted by Mrs. Caroline Snell in 1869.

Ellsworth’s Addition, lying north and east of Lee's addition, contains 60 acres, 20 of which are within the present corporate limits of the village of Lowell, and the remainder in the township of Vergennes, platted by A. M. Ellsworth in 1870.

1916-Main-Street--Lowell-Michigan

1916-Main-Street--Lowell-Michigan

1916-West-Main-Street-with-Cars-Lowell-Michigan

1916-West-Main-Street-with-Cars-Lowell-Michigan

1917-Lowell-City-Hall-With-Awnings-Lowell-Michigan

1917-Lowell-City-Hall-With-Awnings-Lowell-Michigan

1921-Hotel-Waverly-Lowell-Michigan

1921-Hotel-Waverly-Lowell-Michigan

An act to incorporate the Village of Lowell passed the State Legislature in 1859, but for some reason the village was not then organized.

It was reenacted March 15, 1861, and the organization completed in the summer following.

FIRST VILLAGE OFFICERS.

President - Cyprian S. Hooker.

Recorder - Charles A. Blake.

Treasurer - Simeon Hunt. Marshal J. Chapman.

Assessor - Cyrus Hunt.

Trustees - William W.,Hatch, J. B. Shear and Arvine Peck.

PRESENT VILLAGE OFFICERS.

President - Morris R. Blodget.

Recorder - John Huggins.

Treasurer - Clark M. Devendorf.

Marshal - Robert Marshall.

Trustees - L. B. Lull, John C. Scott and Simeon Hunt.

The village proper now contains 1,503 inhabitants, according to the census of 1870.

During the past four years some fine brick buildings have been erected, among which are the large two story block on Bridge street, west of the river, containing five stores below, and a large hall and offices above;

Lee's Block, two story, which contains two stores and a hall above; King's Block, now used by Joseph Amphlett as a carriage factory, and Graham's Block, three story, containing two stores, printing office and other offices, and which was erected almost entirely by Mr. Graham with his own hands.

Besides the brick stores there are some very good wooden buildings.

The village contains in all between 30 and 40 stores, besides the usual number of meat markets, restaurants, etc. There are two hotels:

The Clifton House, part brick, kept by Charles Morse, and the Franklin House, a large frame building, kept by C. C. Parks.

MANUFACTURING ESTABLISHMENTS.

factory-and-residence-of-warren-babcock-lowell-michigan

Factory-and-residence-of-Warren-Babcock-Lowell-Michigan

The-Auto-Body-Factory-in-Lowell-Michigan

The-Auto-Body-Factory-in-Lowell-Michigan

Hatch & Craw's grist mills are two large framed mills containing three run of stone each, and capable of grinding 50,000 barrels of flour per year, besides doing a large custom business.  

Water power.

The Lowell Woolen Mill, erected by Blodgett Brothers, in 1867, is a good, framed building, now owned by M. R. Blodgett, and does about $20,000 worth of business per year.

Water power.

Wilson, Gardner & Co. have a steam planer, sash, door and blind factory, erected in 1868, and are doing a good custom and shipping business.

Avcry & Johnson have a planer and sash, door and blind factory, which is doing an extensive custom business, and shipping largely both east and west.

This factory runs by water power, and was erected in 1868, on the site of their mill which was destroyed by fire the previous year.

In connection with the mill is a machine for the manufacture of wooden eave troughs - a new invention of Mr. E. W. Avery.

FORT'S WESTERN MEDICINE MANUFACTURING COMPANY.

E. M. Fort, the patentee of these medicines, commenced business a few years since on borrowed capital, paying therefore at the rate of 15 per cent interest.

Many of our readers will remember having seen his pleasant face on the streets of the various towns and villages of Kent county, when he was selling his remedies at retail.

The business had increased so rapidly and become so popular in

Lowell, that in March, 1870, some of the leading capitalists of the town joined him, and established the above-named stock company with a chartered capital of $100,000, making Mr. Fort the secretary and business manager, with the assistance and advice of a board of directors.

Since that time they have branched out, and are rapidly introducing it in the adjoining states, and money invested in tile company’s stock must prove exceedingly profitable.

Parties who know best, think it will soon pay a dividend of 30 per cent as the sales are already immense and largely on the increase ; these preparations being acknowledged to be among the best medicines in the market, their popularity having gained for them the endorsement of the widely known and popular drug house of Farrand, Sheley & CO., of Detroit, generally admitted to be the largest wholesale drug house in Michigan, who have purchased a large amount of the capital stock of the company, and are acting as their agents for Detroit.

Boyce & Nash have a shop for the manufacture of agricultural implements, axes, etc., making about 150 dozen axes per year, and manufacturing in all about $6,000 worth per year.

Joseph Amphlatt's carriage factory is quite an extensive establishment, turning out about 100 carriages and wagons per year.

CHURCHES.

Baptist-Church-1912-Lowell-Michigan

Baptist-Church-1912-Lowell-Michigan

The Methodist Episcopal church building is a fine brick structure 40x60 feet in size, completed and dedicated in 1859.

It stands on a little rise of ground on Bridge Street, east of the business part of the village. Cost over $8,000, including furniture.

Near this is the unpretending Baptist church, which is a good, little framed building, erected in 1859.

During the present season this church has been tastefully fitted up and newly painted.

The Congregational church on the west side of Flat River is a good looking, framed building, 40x56 feet in size, erected in 1858 at a cost of $2,500.

Central-Park-&-Congregational-Church-Richards-Park-Lowell-Michigan

Central-Park-&-Congregational-Church-Richards-Park-Lowell-Michigan

Congregational-Church-Lowell-Michigan

Congregational-Church-Lowell-Michigan

There are also two or three church societies and a Masonic Lodge and a Good Templar's Lodge, which meet in halls.

Union School Lowell Michigan

SCHOOLS.

There is a good, framed school-house 36x54 feet in size, and two stories high, which was erected in 1862 at a cost of about $2,000.

LOWELL-MICHIGAN-OLD-VIEW-UNION-HIGH-SCHOOL

LOWELL-MICHIGAN-OLD-VIEW-UNION-HIGH-SCHOOL

High School, Lowell, MichiganHigh School, Lowell, Michigan

East-Ward-School-Lowell-Michigan

East-Ward-School-Lowell-Michigan - Look familiar? It still stands at the east end of town and is now a skating rink and bowling alley.

It is being repaired the present season, but is .small for the size of the district, which takes in quite a large extent of territory, and a larger building will soon be required.

West-Ward-School-Lowell-Michigan

West-Ward-School-Lowell-Michigan

There is one ward or branch school in connection with this district, which is the old district No. 1, of the township of Lowell.

This branch school is located on the south side of Grand River, in the vicinity of the Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad depot, where a village called Segwun was platted by William Chesebro, about the time the railroad was built, but which is seldom known by that name.

MILLS AND FACTORIES.

King Milling looking north-east where parking lot is now located

The King Milling Building on the right is now a parking lot.

On the above-mentioned plat is the steam saw mill of C. T. Wooding, erected in 1866 by Knapp & Tucker, and capable of cutting 20,000 feet of lumber per day; also the cider and vinegar manufactory of E. R Peck, erected in 1869, and capable of grinding 18,000 bushels of apples per year.

In this vicinity is also quite a collection of small houses, mostly occupied by laborers in the above named establishments and on the railroad.

lowell-looking-to-the-north-west-from-where-the-railroad-bridge-now-stands

Lowell-looking-to-the-north-west-from-where-the-railroad-bridge-now-stands

Near at band and a little east of the depot is the extensive chair factory of John Koph & Co., which has a small cluster of pleasant looking buildings around it, and has withal an appearance of thrift and neatness.

This building was erected in 1858, by Seth Cogswell, and the machinery is run by an overshot waterwheel, water being obtained from a small -

spring brook which rises about two miles south and comes in through a gorge in the hills.

About a mile distant is the large grain cradle and bed bottom factory of E. W. Tucker.

His first mill was a three-story frame building 30x40 feet in size, erected in 1862, in connection with which is a new mill or shop 35x50 feet, erected in 1868.

In the one item of grain cradles they have facilities for manufacturing

1,200 dozen per year, besides bed-bottoms and harvesting implements, such as hay-rakes, etc.

This is also run by an overshot water-wheel.

From 20 to 60 I hands are employed.

At the head of this stream, and about two miles south of the depot, is a fine bed of marl, on the farm of Alexander McBride, from which Mr. McBride has manufactured $4,000 worth of lime within the past four years.

Lowell, Michigan in 1929 Franks 5 Cent & Dollar Store

Lowell, Michigan as it looked in 1929 as Frank's 5 Cent to $1 Store which is now Springrove Variety Store.

THE GRAND RIVER NURSERIES.

N. P. Husted, proprietor, are situated about five miles southwest of the Lowell depot.

He commenced planting in 1862, putting out about 40,000 apple trees, 40,000 peach trees, and other stock, since which time he has been gradually increasing until now he sets 300,000 apple and 300,000 peach and other stock every year.

Besides this he is giving considerable attention to ornamental stock.

The nurseries now cover 130 acres, all closely planted, and the amount of sales is nearly $50,000 per year.

From 30 to 60 hands are employed.

He is also turning his attention to orchard culture, having at present 1,000 four-year old peach trees, over 500 apple trees, 400 pear trees, 200 plum trees, and 4,000 grape vines; also, a good assortment of small fruits.

The soil is clay loam, which is well adapted to the growth of hardy, sound, nursery stock and profitable orchard culture.

There are now over 15,000 orchard culture.

There are now 15,000 orchard trees in the immediate vicinity, all of which have been set within a few years.

Peaches have borne well every year.

EARLY SETTLERS SOUTH OF GRAND RIVER

Among the pioneers in this part of the county was George Post, who came from Connecticut in 1842 and settled on the northwest corner of section 23, at the crossing of the territorial road from Portland to Grand Rapids, and the one from

Battle Creek via Hastings, to the trading post then established by Daniel Marsac at Lowell.

He was the first, and for three years the only settler south of the present line of the D. & M. Railroad, within the township.

Early-Lowell-Boardwallk-near-the-tracks

Early-Lowell-Boardwallk-near-the-tracks

Lowell-Michigan-RR-depot

Lowell-Michigan-RR-depot - The Lowell Depot as it looked in 1912.

The Locomotive was the Pere Marquette No. 399 built in 1901 and scrapped in 1928.

lowell-hastings-railroad-extension-to-belding

The Lowell & Hastings Railroad being built north to Belding, Michigan in 1899.

This railway bed in now in the process of being converted to the Rails to Trails program.

Lowell--Hastings-Railroad

Lowell--Hastings-Railroad

Lowell-Hastings-Railroad-Bridge

Lowell-Hastings-Railroad-Bridge

In 1848, Mainard Chaterdon, with his wife and family of three sons and three daughters, came from Calhoun County, Michigan, (formerly from the state of New York), and went nearly to the southwest corner of the township, on section 31, where his widow and the three sons and one of the daughters still live, and have nice farms.

Lowell-Michigan-as-it-looked-in-1910

Lowell, Michigan as it looked in 1910 - Looking from the East from near where Canfield's Plumbing is currently located.

1911-Main-Street-Lowell-Michigan-looking-from-the-dam-to-the-west

1911 Main Street Lowell, Michigan looking from in front of Chimera Design Studio to the west.

Lowell, Michigan in 1912 Looking East

Lowell, Michigan in 1912 Looking East

In 1848-9, Harrison Wickham, Peter Hornbrook, Charles Gordon, Mr. Monk, and Mr. Montague settled in the south and southwest part of the township, followed in 1850 to 1854 by John Brannan, William Pratt, John Yeiter, Jacob and Christian Loyer, George Acker, Jacob Yeiter, James Easterby, James Wallace and William Proctor, most of whom were from Ohio, and of Dutch descent, and nearly all of whom are now wealthy farmers, having good farms and buildings.

1905 Lowell, Michigan Fire

Above - the 1905 Lowell, Michigan Fire

Hotel Waverly Lowell Michigan

The Hotel Waverly, Lowell, Michigan.

This Hotel Waverly was located at what is now a parking lot next to and east of the Shell Gas Station at the Lowell "Hudson and M21" Street Stoplight directly across from Larkins Saloon.

Lowell-michigan-in-1921-looking-southeast

Lowell, Michigan in 1921 looking southeast from in front of the Strand Theater

Lowell-Michigan-South-Monroe-Businesses

Lowell, Michigan South Monroe Businesses - The "lost block" behind the Old State Bank of Lowell.

The Blacksmith Shop sign is now part of where the Lowell Granite Company is currently located.

ORGANIZATION.

The township of Lowell was organized in 1848, being previously a part of the township of Vergennes, which originally included all of the east part of the county.

The first township meeting was held at the house of Mr. Timothy White.

Lowell michigan

FIRST TOWNSHIP OFFICERS.

Supervisor - Cyprian S. Hooker.

Clerk - Timothy White.

Treasurer - Henry Church.

Justices - C. S. Hooker, Daniel McEwen, Samuel P. Rolf and Ira A. Danes.

PRESENT TOWNSHIP OFFICERS.

Supervisor - Robert Hunter, Jr.

Clerk - John Huggins.

Treasurer - Webster Morris.

Justices - Robert Hunter Jr., Simeon Hunt, Joseph W. Sprague and Matthew Hunter.

Below are some images of White's Covered Bridge before it was torched by arson.

White's Covered Bridge Lowell, Michigan image 1

White's Covered Bridge Lowell, Michigan image 2

White's Covered Bridge Lowell, Michigan image 3

Below are some images from today in Lowell, Michigan;

Lowell-MI-Storm

Lowell-MI-Storm

Lowell-MI-Kayakers

Lowell-MI-Kayakers

Lowell-MI-Thursday-night-concert

Lowell-MI-Thursday-night-concert-Dale-and-Mary-Dawson-in-the-Kayaks